1st time cruiser and unsure!!

Ms. Princess

Hello everyone, My girlfriend and I want to go ona cruise for the first time for our 1yr anniversary:p . We are 23 and 24 yrs old and want to know which cruise ship would be best for the younger but mature crowd or which cruise has the most ********(ex: games, dancing(get my hips going), etc...)?? The other issue is that my gf is a little concerned about which cruise would be the most gay friendly or likely to have a higher percentage of gay and lesbians?? If anyone can please help that would be just sugar and spice. Thank You;)

Ms. Princess:

I'm assuming you're not asking about gay chartered cruises like RSVP or Olivia, which can be a viable choice for the 2 of you.

Although it seems that Celebrity gets the most 'votes' for be being the most gay friendly, I would not say that Celebrity attracts the youngest or the most active guests.

My personal recommendation would be NCL, especially their newer ships such as the Sun, Star, Dawn, Spirit, and their Hawaiian ships.

They regularly schedule FOD mixers, and IMHO, attract a younger and more lively crowd than Celebrity. At least that's been my experience on those 2 lines. I haven't been on RCL, so I can't comment on them.

For the highest GLBT community populations, they tend to flock to Princess Cruises (is it the name that helps that:confused: ) or to Celebrity. Both are higher end treatment than you'll find on Carnival. The party atmosphere on both ships is more subdued. Princess you'll find yourself amongst very few people in the disco. The average age on board is in the upper 50's and gets higher if you pick a sailing that is longer than 7 days. Hetero cruising on Celebrity I cannot speculate. I've only done them when it's an all-gay charter but to my understanding, they do have a disco on board, as for attendance... I don't know.

If you want fun and loads of it, as I'm discovering and reading and emailing people online, Carnival is definitely the choice. My best advice, figure out if you want more family or more fun and pick your line according to that.

Hope this helps... you are really a good lover taking her on a cruise for the first year anniversary! Congrats on the anniversary marker and welcome aboard. :)

~Jake

Honestly, almost all of the major lines have now hosted at least one all-gay charter. They know where the money is. However, that doesn't answer the original poster's question. There are tons of gay staff on these ships, so that really isn't an issue either.

A previous poster put it more accurately, two 20-something lesbians may have a hard time finding a young enough crowd for them to hang with on most of the major lines. I would recommend the Oilvia cruises for Lesbians. The RSVP and Atlantis gay charters welcome women, but realistically they only have about 1-4% female pax. 20 lesbians and 1,980 gay men might not be what they are looking for, although the boys will treat you wonderfully. (might even style your hair and loan you a dress. just kidding) Honestly, the women are treated very well on the Atlantis cruises that I have been on.

Cruising, for all it's attempts to lure younger pax's, is just not loaded with 20 somethings (other than honeymooners). Someone else put it right, that anything over 7 days will have an average pax age north of 60. Travelling during Christmas, Easter/Spring Break or Thanksgiving will have tons of families with Children.

Carnival skews the youngest of the major lines, but it also tends to be "Kathie-Lee's discount navy", and I honestly couldn't recommend it. I have sailed Carnival once, and need not repeat it. Others may enjoy Carnival but it was not to my taste. HAL tends to be much older, and NCL somewhat younger (perhaps due to their Freestyle cruising concept).

Anyone else have recommendations for the ladies?

I am the male half of a straight couple and there were a couple of dozen Gay or Lesbian couples on our cruise HAL's Westerdam. The guys tended to stay to themselves, priming and posing by the pool, but I got really friendly with a couple of women, we gambled together and ended up horseback riding together. They were great fun and the only folks on the cruise I sought out to say goodbye. They all drew less attention than the old people who complained about the heat.

Go where ever you like!!! why not?

Have fun

I'd say look into Olivia or RSVP cruises....

From what I've read from other posts - the "younger crowd" cruises (Carnival/NCL/RCCL) also tend to have single men aboard who may be less accepting of two young ladies who don't need/want their attention...

I am not sure how to appropriately word this...

This is my husbands and mine first time cruising. I am a married female who is also bi. Are there people on the ship who are open to this or are the ships "dating" options really only for couples?

Sorry if I offend anyone

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

You could go to aquafest.net or gaytravel.com. They offer gay group cruises on regular sailings, so you get a mixture of straight and gay people. My wife and I (from Massachusetts) wanted to go on our first cruise to celebrate our first year being married :D (5 years together). We chose a gay group cruise because we werent sure if an all-gay cruise mightve been a little overwhelming for us. It also makes for a diverse interesting mix of people as we are not opposed to making friends with acceping straight people/couples. We booked the gaytravel.com Halloween cruise out of New Orleans on the NCL Sun 10/30/05 (all the cheap rooms with aquafest.net were sold out). Consider this option if you are unsure of which cruise line to go on. Maybe we'll see you on the same cruise that we'll be on! We are 26 and 27, from Boston area, and always looking for new friends.

That appears to be a question that I see poping up from time to time.

One of our friends asked us if we went on gay cruises? My response was very simple.

Anytime we vacation, its all about Joey and David, and what makes us comfortable, if that means grabbing a kiss on deck in the moon light and some would say that we are showing that we are gay,then i guesss at that point we are on a gay cruise. If no one noticed I guess we are on a regular cruise.

I do relealize that its important to some to travel and party with other family members. Its more important to us that we spoil each other, and hey if family happens to be around all I can say is "anyone for BINGO"

The best

Joey (and David) :)

Joey and David, my partner and I feel the same. We cruise for us and not for other people. We meet straight and Gay people on every cruise. For us we are not into a GAY CRUISE. We live in Ft. Lauderdale and have plenty of gay venues that we can go to.

We travel quite frequently on Crystal and we happen to be part of the younger set onboard. I don't pose by the pool but I will still wear my Speedo in my late 40's..LOL. Not for attention but for the tan line. I am a runner not a gym rat and have been doing it for 20yrs.

We interact with everyone and have never had a problem. Some of our Gay friends will not travel with us because they will only go on a Gay cruise. Go figure. I guess some people need to live and breath the gay lifestyle only.

As far as the ladies are concerned, we have noticed that some Lesbians really hate or do not want to associate with Gay men. What is up with that? We have lesbian close friends and they are classy and very accepting of everyone.

For my partner and I, we take a cruise for us and it is all about us when we travel togehter. This is our special time together and we enjoy everyones company.

Hello everyone, My girlfriend and I want to go ona cruise for the first time for our 1yr anniversary:p . We are 23 and 24 yrs old and want to know which cruise ship would be best for the younger but mature crowd or which cruise has the most ********(ex: games, dancing(get my hips going), etc...)?? The other issue is that my gf is a little concerned about which cruise would be the most gay friendly or likely to have a higher percentage of gay and lesbians?? If anyone can please help that would be just sugar and spice. Thank You;)

We are trying to go out of Baltimore next May...WE were planning on going on the Grandeur of the Seas if it is still the itinerary. I have been on NCL, Royal Carribean, and Carnival and have never had a problem feeling out of place on board ship. Of course I also have an attitude that helps me to never have a problem feeling out of place anywhere so....

• 1 month later...

Archived