Using Birth Cert. at embarkation...

thebeas

Yeah, I hear you! So true. :) On the other hand, if the rule (law?) is a birth certificate & ID are OK can they really require passports? I bet you if they could they would. It would certainly make for less headaches like this one.

I agree!

base on not getting a passport..........

ah please, if they did that i d file compliant on them......

She's my friend and normally doesn't even book cheap cruises or have clients that don't fly out of the country........I would rather her have the commission and help our local economy....

Is this a recent marriage? What name is you cruise docs in? Cruise docs and id have to match.

Yes it is a recent marriage and the cruise is booked under her married name. Her passport and birth certificate are in her maiden name but her drivers license and of course the official marriage license are in her married name. We sail in a few weeks so I dont think there is enough time to get the passport changed.

Yes it is a recent marriage and the cruise is booked under her married name. Her passport and birth certificate are in her maiden name but her drivers license and of course the official marriage license are in her married name. We sail in a few weeks so I dont think there is enough time to get the passport changed.

Then she will be ok with her birth cert. As long as her picture ID (license) and cruise docs match then she is good to go with just the b.c. As long as she has the correct b.c. not a hospital cert.

Do you have a source for this info or are you assuming that this is what happens?

I read it on John Heald's (Carnival Sr. Cruise Director) Blog. I think I might also have read it on his facebook page. At any rate, it is NOT my "wild imagining". LOL

My SIL works for the U.S. Passport agency in our state. A passport can be done quickly though it will cost more $$. Expedited service is available through your local passport agency office and also by mail, though visiting the local agency is the fastest. http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

If I was cruising the Atlantic (or even the Pacific, which I am!) in the next few months, I would definitely pay for the expedited passport just to be safe. But that's just me of course. :-)

Then she will be ok with her birth cert. As long as her picture ID (license) and cruise docs match then she is good to go with just the b.c. As long as she has the correct b.c. not a hospital cert.

Thank You for the info!!

I agree!

She's my friend and normally doesn't even book cheap cruises or have clients that don't fly out of the country........I would rather her have the commission and help our local economy....

You're friend doesn't sound like a very smart travel agent if she is turning away people if they don't have a passport. I mean what is she doing, demanding to see it before she makes a booking? I work for a TA and I book clients all the time, many of whom I have never even seen ( booked over the phone). I don't understand turning away business, when the commission received from a cruise ( even an expensive one), isn't very much at all, and when less than half of Americans don't have passports.

(My post isn't intended to be rude, just honestly wondering why someone would turn away business...)

Has anyone tried/used a Consular Report of Birth from the State Dept?

I was born in Germany to parents who are US Citizens (Go US ARMY!!!). I had my German BC and American report of birth until 2 yrs ago when they were lost in a flood. When we decided to go on the cruise, I sent away for a Consular Report of Birth because I can use it to get my passport. I'm just concerned about the timing. I SHOULD have enough time to get the passport, but we are talking about the government here... :p

My question is, if those passengers who did NOT have passports needed to get to the next port, how would they get there? I mean, regardless of whether or not Carnival SHOULD be responsible for getting them there, isn't the passport requirement a Federal requirement and not a Carnival requirement? Carnival can't just put them on a plane and fly them to another country. legally, without a passport. So, how would they get there?

You're friend doesn't sound like a very smart travel agent if she is turning away people if they don't have a passport. I mean what is she doing, demanding to see it before she makes a booking? I work for a TA and I book clients all the time, many of whom I have never even seen ( booked over the phone). I don't understand turning away business, when the commission received from a cruise ( even an expensive one), isn't very much at all, and when less than half of Americans don't have passports.

(My post isn't intended to be rude, just honestly wondering why someone would turn away business...)

To my knowledge she has never turned anyone away for not having a passport. And she is very successful especially in this economy.

My question is, if those passengers who did NOT have passports needed to get to the next port, how would they get there? I mean, regardless of whether or not Carnival SHOULD be responsible for getting them there, isn't the passport requirement a Federal requirement and not a Carnival requirement? Carnival can't just put them on a plane and fly them to another country. legally, without a passport. So, how would they get there?

They wouldn't...

To my knowledge she has never turned anyone away for not having a passport. And she is very successful especially in this economy.

I'm sorry, I gathered from earlier posts, that your TA (your friend)required it (passport). I may have just misread.

OKay, if she has never turned anyone away for not having a passport, than how can she require one? :confused: It's obviously not a requirement to her agency if she would not turn someone away for not having one.

Let me phone her and I will get back to you.......I hate making assumptions...

Ok her words " Everyone has always complied or already had a passport". She also keeps a copy of everyones passport on file in the event they were getting ready to expire she would notify us ahead of time.

Let me phone her and I will get back to you.......I hate making assumptions...

Ok her words " Everyone has always complied or already had a passport". She also keeps a copy of everyones passport on file in the event they were getting ready to expire she would notify us ahead of time.

That is super strange. I would never allow an agency keep a copy of my passport on file. This all sounds fishy.

This is from the U.S. Dept of State website---http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html Another reason to get passports for children! If you miss the ship and have to get to a foreign port and both parents are not with their kid(s), you might need a notarized consent form if the child doesn't have a passport! Assuming you make your scheduled embarkation for the closed loop cruise and no problems arise, you should be fine. But then that's what the folks who missed their sailing on the Victory probably thought, too. :(

Everyone is free to take what risks they feel comfortable with, but it's good to be informed of what might happen. :)

Some countries require that a traveler’s U.S. passport be valid at least six months or longer beyond the dates of the trip. In addition, with the number of international child custody cases on the rise, several countries have instituted passport requirements to help prevent child abductions. (Mexican law, for example, requires a child traveling alone, or with only one parent, or in someone else's custody, to carry written, notarized consent from the absent parent or parents if the child is not in possession of a U.S. passport.) Contact the embassy of the foreign destination for more information. A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State’s website at http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/dpl/32122.htm. Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found on the Country Specific Information for each country.

That is super strange. I would never allow an agency keep a copy of my passport on file. This all sounds fishy.

Not fishy at all......she is in business for herself Although my last TA did the same thing.....They do this so if we they were to get lost or stolen while we were on vacation she could help us get it replaced....what is wrong with that? That's what a good TA does...

Here is a scenario that is going on this week. The Carnival Victory had to leave the Port of San Juan early due to the approaching Storm and orders from the Coast Guard who were closing the Port. Now San Juan is US territory so no passport is needed, however, the ship's first Port due to the storm is going to be Barbadoes. While the ship has made arrangements to get stranded passengers to Barbadoes it can only accommadate those who have passports. Those who don't have them were forced to return home and lose their cruise. Are you sure you only want your birth certificate???

This type of situation and others is why I will never leave the country no matter the form of transportation without a passport. Why take the chance?? They are good for 10 years and while I know the price has gone up a bit, the last one I got was $95. $9.50 a year for peace of mind is worth it to me. My kids will also have them for our cruise in Jan. just in case.

Not fishy at all......she is in business for herself Although my last TA did the same thing.....They do this so if we they were to get lost or stolen while we were on vacation she could help us get it replaced....what is wrong with that? That's what a good TA does...

Yes, that is what my friend (who is also our TA) offered to do for us. He said it was in case our passports were lost or stolen while we were traveling and we did not have copies with us (or those were also lost). It is not required. I could have left a copy at home with our son or a friend or another family member if I preferred. It's a good idea whichever way you do it, IMO.

This type of situation and others is why I will never leave the country no matter the form of transportation without a passport. Why take the chance?? They are good for 10 years and while I know the price has gone up a bit, the last one I got was $95. $9.50 a year for peace of mind is worth it to me. My kids will also have them for our cruise in Jan. just in case.

Yes bit they dont let you pay yearly. You must pay all up front and for a family of 4 you are talking of $500 plus

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Archived