Orvieto & Montepulciano Wine Tour

account4fun

Thanks again Hank. I did find her email address and asked for further advice.

Softball, The one thing that we do not want to miss is going to Civita Bagnoregio. Google it. Sue

We went there last year on our way back from Orvieto -- it is beautiful.

We did Orvieto for a day post cruise on a day tour with Stefano Rome Tours - which is part of Rome Cabs. Orvieto is a beautiful town, and we just spent our time there exploring it -- the shops, the Duomo, etc. We had lunch at a great little place right on the piazza by the Duomo. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, and for some reason, it's not in my trip review that I had posted. This particular place does wine tastings with their lunch. It was very nice. If I can figure out the name, I'll let you know. It was recommended by our driver. After leaving Orvieto we drove around seeing some sights, including Citva and Lake Braccino.

Am going to jump-in about trains since we always travel independently when in Italy. If you wanted to simply go to Orvieto (a really nice hill town) for a few hours it is easy and cheap by train. For example, you could take the 8:22 from Rome Termini which would get you into Orvieto at 9:31 just as things are beginning to open. Then you could take the 2:13pm or 4:13 pm train back to Rome (gets you back to Rome in about 1hr 10 min. Total cost round trip for the train is 29 Euros (2nd class). Once in Orvieto you can walk everywhere in the small town.

Hank

Hank--This is exactly what we plan to do! Seems easy enough.

Kristi (account4fun)--you are welcome to join us if you are interested in going to Orvieto independently. I think it makes sense to do it on our own and as Hank said it is only 29 Euros each person for 2nd class seats! You could save the money for the other private tours on our sailing. We are planning to go to Orvieto on Sunday June 10th but that is tentative. We will stay close to the Pantheon in Rome. Email me if you want to chat more about it.

Kristi (account4fun)--you are welcome to join us if you are interested in going to Orvieto independently. I think it makes sense to do it on our own and as Hank said it is only 29 Euros each person for 2nd class seats! You could save the money for the other private tours on our sailing. We are planning to go to Orvieto on Sunday June 10th but that is tentative. We will stay close to the Pantheon in Rome. Email me if you want to chat more about it.

Rebecca - We seem to have all the same interests in excursions! :) We actually booked a tour with Stefano (Rome Cabs) to tour Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio and this great winery I found Decugnano dei Bolsena. Since we will be visiting a few stops we though it made sense to have a car and not take the train as Hank was suggesting. We are also going on Sunday pre-cruise! :):)

I wish I could come with you :)

Now that is interesting to us. We have driven through Viterbo on several ocassions, but never stopped in the town. I did look at some old info I still have to find the name of the CC contributor who lives (or used to live) in Viterbo. Her name is Mary Jane Cryan and I seem to recall she has actually writen some articles (and perhaps a book) about the region. I do have her old e-mail but think posting it here would be inappropriate. If you have any interest in Mary you might want to Google her name. If you want to contact her and cannot find an e-mail let me know here are we will try to figure out how to get you her e-mail address. When we last saw her on CC she was a real advocate for her town and its surrounding region.

Hank

Hank Thank you so much for this information. Have been in contact with Mary. She has a great blog on this area of Italty. Sue

Archived