Anytime dining in MDR on RCL? Missing the boat?

Philly Ken

...why should we be told to choose another line, eat in the Lido, or use room service on formal nights?...

Up until then I was agreeing with everything your were saying.

Formal dress sets a tone of elegance that gets spoiled for those who enjoy it when somebody shows up in casual attire. Doing so at any occasion, at sea or on land, shows disrespect to the hosts and to fellow guests.

So if guests sign on where former attire is required, and choose not to honor it, then the hosts are in their right to ask guests to go to the Lido or use to room service.

Up until then I was agreeing with everything your were saying.

Formal dress sets a tone of elegance that gets spoiled for those who enjoy it when somebody shows up in casual attire. Doing so at any occasion, at sea or on land, shows disrespect to the hosts and to fellow guests.

So if guests sign on where former attire is required, and choose not to honor it, then the hosts are in their right to ask guests to go to the Lido or use to room service.

Well I guess that we have some differing opinions here. I do not believe that formal attire is "required", just suggested. In over 20 cruises, I have never seen anyone turned away. I have heard that folks have been turned away for wearing bathing suits, tank tops, baseball caps, (etc.), and I would certainly agree that those items may be somewhat distracting to those who choose the true formal expereince. I am bothered by those on these boards who try to relegate folks to the Lido or room service. These posters are certainly not the hosts and quite frankly I feel that they are being disrespectful in commenting on what others choose to wear. I choose to enjoy my meal and the company of my spouse and do not get worked up over what others choose to wear. And for what it is worth, I have never worn a hat, wife beater shirt, or a bathing suit at any time in the MDR. I have also never worn a tee shirt, shorts, or sneakers in the MDR for dinner.

We're going to disagree on this. But I've answered the OP's request for thoughts and ideas, although he probably won't care for either.

At least we agree with your first sentence. I shall go back now to mowing the lawn which is probably a better use of my time. And I promise never, ever to wear my lawnmowing clothes to dinner!;)

Archived