Insurance - a little help here please?

heidik

I am a bit confused about the Celebrity insurance. If my flight to my cruise port is cancelled because of the hurricane, do I get refunded? And if I miss the cruise because my flight was cancelled, do I automatically get refunded, or does the insurance company require I have to "prove" I tried everything to find alternative transportation to the port?

My confusion comes from reading here and there that "the weather" is not covered by the insurance.....

I am a bit confused about the Celebrity insurance. If my flight to my cruise port is cancelled because of the hurricane, do I get refunded? And if I miss the cruise because my flight was cancelled, do I automatically get refunded, or does the insurance company require I have to "prove" I tried everything to find alternative transportation to the port?

My confusion comes from reading here and there that "the weather" is not covered by the insurance.....

It really depends on the language in your policy; I am not familiar with Celebrity's insurance policy, so I do not know what it says. Often times this would fall under something called "Missed Connection" (may fall under a different name for different insurance policies). Many insurance policies will pay a few hundred dollars towards expenses incurred because of a greatly delayed or canceled flight causing one to miss their cruise. I.e. they may pay $250 or $500 towards expenses incurred (such as purchasing new flights, hotels, meals etc.). I would not think that many policies would provide a full refund of your cruise and other expenses - perhaps if for some reason it is not possible to "catch" the ship, but most of the policies I have reviewed (when researching for my own cruises) appear to only pay a limited amount of money towards expenses incurred while "catching" the ship. This coverage would still occur if the delay/cancellation was attributable weather.

You may want to call your insurer to inquire about what (if anything) would be covered if the hurricane led to your flight being cancelled and ultimately missing the ship.

Archived