port canaveral area/Raddisson at port

Merc

Hi everyone im new to this thread, might be a dumb question, but we have never cruise out of port canaveral, and dont know whats near and around there, we are flying into orlando and staying at the raddisson at the port, and will not have transportation, is there anywhere to eat, or stores<to buy liquor to pack> there will be 12 of us with children, someone had posted about a new place by the water where you can see the ships sail out, my kids would love that, but how far is that from the raddisson, any help would be great, thanks

Deb

Deb,

There are several places to eat near the docks. The way the roads are you won't have problems finding your way around. If the ships are in port you won't find it difficult to know where the port is either. Also, the restaurant at your hotel is fairly good but if you want to see the ships head toward the port. I don't know the actual distance from the hotel but you can easily see the ships from your hotel so probably only a mile or so.

Have fun.

thanks so much cruzntime, that was a alot of help, so we could grab a few taxis, or do they supply a shuttle to go to the port, i do know they bring you the day you cruise out, but what if you have no transportation and want to go to the port the day before you leave, sorry if this is a dumb question, but we have never stayed over before a cruise, have always cruised from east coast, NY,NJ, Boston.

the place by the water is called grilles it is at the port and yes you can watch teh ships leave.. I prefer to go to the pier at cocoa beach which is a short drive down a1a from the raddison it has several restraunts a great ice cream.arcade near it and teh kids can hang out at the beach you can also see the ships leave from there you are not up close to them like grilles but you can still see them hubby and i like to do that on thursdays and sundays... we enjoy a nice dinner at Marlins (the sports bar type restraunt at the pier or Atlantic grille the slightly nicer restraunt that is at the pier also..

There is also a Mcdonalds with a play place across teh street from the hotel you are at as well as a new publix about a mile down the road for last minute stuff if you want to drive a little there is a walmart about 5 minutes away... hope this helps you out.

Ruttie, thanks for your reply, do you know if the hotel has a shuttle you can take to get to the pier, i know they are going to take us the day we sail out but im talking about the night before?

Ok io want to make sure that I have given you the right info ithink maybe I have muddled things.. When i talk about the pier I am talking about the cocoa beach peir which is about 2 miles down the road from the hotel (south)

Where the cruise boats are is not actually referred to as teh peir it is just the port... that is about 2 miles nw of the hotel and you cannot walk there it would be to hard and no side walks..

in answer to your question I am not sure if teh resort offers a shuttle to the cocoa beach pier?? They may have a runnign shuttle during peak times I know there is a trolley that goes somewhere there... They do NOt offer a shuttle to Grilles etc that is at the Port the night before... There are actually 2 sides to teh port the sid ethat has restruants smalk fishing baots etc and the north side that is for teh military and teh cruise ships there are no stores shopsetc on teh cruise termiinal side..(actually there are none at the port at all...) but at the cocoa beach pier they do have a few stores located on teh pier that you can get suviners etc... I hop ei have helped a little more ...

Ruttie---Im with you.............I LOVE the pier esp on a Friday night...great deals at the bar area (right outside the restaurant).........cheap shrimp,ribs and one more thing that escapes me right now..........

...the person who checked us in told us the shuttle WOULD take us over to Grilles and back and also to other places in the area. Why don't you call them directly and ask to be sure: 321-784-0000. We had a rental car and used that instead.

We loved the Radisson and are staying there again in Oct.

saved you the quarter called for you... They do NOT have a shuttle that will take you around teh night before only the morning of teh cruise. But they do have a local cab company that will take you around. Hope this helps. I also asked about the trolley because i thought for sure i saw it last week when i was over that way.. but she said again they have a local cab company that does all their services... Myabe teh trolley is just for teh peir???

HEy Mrs. B when are you gonna b there in october? My brother is having a wedding reception their on teh 8th.

thank you all so very very much, i knew someone would be able to help me, im the one doing all the research, planning & reservations for 12 people. We cruise out May 1st, i just wanted to get ahead of the questions I know they <family> will be asking before we leave. Thanks again so much.

Deb

Archived