Mobal international cell phone

C&Sun

I know this has previously been discussed. We are leaving the end of Sept. on a 31 day Far East cruise on Princess. The countries we will be visiting are Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and Thailand. Has anyone who has purchased and used this phone in the above countries please comment on the service as well as the level of phone that you purchased?

Thanks

I know this has previously been discussed. We are leaving the end of Sept. on a 31 day Far East cruise on Princess. The countries we will be visiting are Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and Thailand. Has anyone who has purchased and used this phone in the above countries please comment on the service as well as the level of phone that you purchased?

Thanks

Mobal works EXTREMELY well in China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand. I don't know about Korea or Singapore but I don't believe there is a Mobal phone that works in Japan (Japan uses an entirely different phone system than most of the world).

I remember cruising on the Mekong in a small boat from Can Tho to Chau Duc in 2005. Absolutely spectacular day-bright and sunny, just the right temp, only 4 other people in the 24 person boat so lots of room to spread out and watch the scenery go by. I was sitting on the roof of the boat calling my friends in the USA-"Good morning Vietnam" waking every one up. Most thought I was in the USA-the calls were that clear.

I have both the old original version and a newer one I bought in 2007 which will work in the USA. I have used them all over the world and they work very, very well. Of course I have an iPhone, a Verizon international phone and various other ways to communicate internationally. Other than my Sat phone (for really out of the way locations), I use the Mobal for most calls. Not as cheap as some but fantastic call quality and ALWAYS available. Keep it in my suitcase, charge it up before I leave and I KNOW when I arrive, I will always have great service. Hasn't failed me yet.

I can tell you that the normal Mobal and just about any other phone will not work in Korea or Japan. The problem is that those two countries use very unique phone technology that is not compatible with other systems around the world. However, Mobal does offer phones that are specific for Japan and Korea....although it might not be worth the hassle unless you are going to be spending a lot of time in those countries. We know a businessman that spends quite a lot of time in that part of the world and his company finally decided to provide him with a very expensive Sat phone which works anywhere on earth. But those phones cost thousands of dollars and are a bit large for normal use.

Hank

Thanks

Mobal works EXTREMELY well in China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand. I don't know about Korea or Singapore but I don't believe there is a Mobal phone that works in Japan (Japan uses an entirely different phone system than most of the world).

I remember cruising on the Mekong in a small boat from Can Tho to Chau Duc in 2005. Absolutely spectacular day-bright and sunny, just the right temp, only 4 other people in the 24 person boat so lots of room to spread out and watch the scenery go by. I was sitting on the roof of the boat calling my friends in the USA-"Good morning Vietnam" waking every one up. Most thought I was in the USA-the calls were that clear.

I have both the old original version and a newer one I bought in 2007 which will work in the USA. I have used them all over the world and they work very, very well. Of course I have an iPhone, a Verizon international phone and various other ways to communicate internationally. Other than my Sat phone (for really out of the way locations), I use the Mobal for most calls. Not as cheap as some but fantastic call quality and ALWAYS available. Keep it in my suitcase, charge it up before I leave and I KNOW when I arrive, I will always have great service. Hasn't failed me yet.

Archived