Braids???

hanley

My daughter would like to have braids put in her hair on our cruise. We are doing the Western on Explorer in April. Does anyone know where the best place to get them done is and how much they cost? Thanks in advance for your replies.

If she absolutely must the BEST place is AT HOME, at a salon you trust! It seems like they do it on practically every beach on the islands, and on most cruises I hear about some poor kid who got lice as they don't clean or change their combs like they do in the US.

I absolutely agree with the previous poster! We had our DD hair done in St. Thomas on our first cruise..it took 1 hour and they were anything but gentle with her. I have heard others comment that the combs and tools are not sanitary. They braid very fast and tight... That said, our second cruise came around and I brought DD to my salon a few days before our cruise where we have a stylist who does the same braiding. Cost abit less, I know the tools were CLEAN and there was no risk of lice, and they did it as gently as possible. The women in the ports really need to make $$, so they will braid as fast as possible and also beware when negotiating the price..they usually charge per braid, and boy can they make those braids small so they add up! Plus, my daughter was the only one who arrived at the port with her braids, ready to go! I'd rather not waste beach/port time sitting getting it done and go with your trustworthy hometown salon.

If you can sit in the hot tubs, use the buffet on board the ships..then why question a comb?!!? I take it these people don't eat at restaurants either in port....I can't imagine what those kitchens look like :)

My wife had hers done in Antigua... original quote was $60USD, and the lady said 1/2 hour, my wife talked her down to $25, and it ended up taking her 1 1/2 hours. Did it hurt, yes, they have to braid it tightly otherwise it won't last.

We did the the hair braiding in Cozumel last April for our three daughters. The place we used was inside this little mall area (sorry, I forget the name), but it was right in front you as you exit the dock area. It is a very clean, modern looking indoor/outdoor mall. This place was one of those kiosks out in front of some stores. They were reasonable, and used disinfectant between braidings. There were several girls from different ships getting it done also while we were waiting. They had a nice selection of beads, as well as styles the girls could choose from. Two of my girls got the half head braids, and the youngest got just two braids done, at $2.00/braid. I believe the half head styles were $25-35, depending on how many beads/braid, and whether the style went straight back, or was done at a diagonal. There didn't seem to be much bargaining, as the prices were posted. The girls were all really happy with their hair, and we were able to wash it at home for about a week or so, before we had to take it out. None of them got lice, either. I originally had an appt. set up for them to have it done on the ship, but they were going to charge around $75 for each child! Hope this helps you. KM

Tell your daughter to ask around in school, there has to be someone who can braid her hair. Highschool gilrs are much cheaper and know all the new styles. I got my hair done before our cruise on the Granduer, from a neighrborhood girl for the cost of a quesedilla!!!!!!!

I don't know where your stops are, but I had braids done (kind of Bo Derek style) last year in Costa Maya in one of the shops there. They were definitely negotiable--first price was $50.00, but I paid $30. and I have just beyond shoulder-length hair. The lady who did the hair braiding had tons of photos to look at and choose from and kept the combs in sanitizer. A great number of women and children on our ship had braids. Mine lasted over a week after the cruise and were easily shampooed each day.

Enjoy!

:) :) :)

I have had it done in Grand Cayman - when you get off the pier go to the left to the shopping center and there is a salon there - very sanitary. Had it done there 2 times and they are fine. It does hurt a little because they do have to be tight inorder to stay in. I have a lot of hair so I only did the top half of my head and it was $ 4 per braid. They will bargain with you and they will tell you how many braids it will take.

Tell your daughter to ask around in school, there has to be someone who can braid her hair. Highschool gilrs are much cheaper and know all the new styles. I got my hair done before our cruise on the Granduer, from a neighrborhood girl for the cost of a quesedilla!!!!!!!

You can find plenty of girls in school or who have older sisters or even their mothers who will braid your daughter's hair for and inexpensive price. Trust me...some will even come to your home.

I get my daughter's hair braided twice a year and never pay more than $35 and as low as $15. I may have to pick the girl up to bring her to my house or go over their house if their mother doesn't want her child going to a stranglers home- but it is worth it.

Just ask to see their work first. What I usually do is, if I see a little girl's head that looks cute, I asked her where she got it done at- most time a relative or neighbor did it.

The women who work in the store front braid shops in the States are pros and will charge pro prices. The ones in the islands are just trying to make a fast buck off the tourists.

If you are worried about lice, etc. when you use a high schooler to do your child's hair- bring your own combs, brushes, gel, shampoo, blow dryer and towels. Or better yet, wash and dry her hair prior to taking her to the stylist and still bring your own combs, brushes and styling products. ;)

If you are worried about lice, etc. when you use a high schooler to do your child's hair- bring your own combs, brushes, gel, shampoo, blow dryer and towels. Or better yet, wash and dry her hair prior to taking her to the stylist and still bring your own combs, brushes and styling products. ;)

Is Darby near or even Upper Darby? I am in West Chester.

Is Darby near or even Upper Darby? I am in West Chester.

I actually work in West Chester two days a week. West Chester is about 45 mins away from Darby. Darby and Upper Darby are about 10 minutes from each other. Some times I will go to Upper Darby and take Route 3 (West Chester Pike) into West Chester. Darby is close to I-95 Airport area. On the Delaware County Side, the townships that border Darby and Sharon Hill, Collingdale and Yeadon. On the Philadelphia side we border Cobbs Creek & Penrose area of Southwest Philadelphia.

I actually work in West Chester two days a week. West Chester is about 45 mins away from Darby. Darby and Upper Darby are about 10 minutes from each other. Some times I will go to Upper Darby and take Route 3 (West Chester Pike) into West Chester. Darby is close to I-95 Airport area. On the Delaware County Side, the townships that border Darby and Sharon Hill, Collingdale and Yeadon. On the Philadelphia side we border Cobbs Creek & Penrose area of Southwest Philadelphia.

Leslie--where do you work in West Chester?

Leslie--where do you work in West Chester?

Two days a week at Northwestern Human Services of Chester County, Adams & Barnard Streets. The other three at Northwestern Human Services of Delaware County in Sharon Hill.

If you don't mind spending a little extra, do it on the ship either on a port day ( I think they lower the price slightly) or day at sea. I went with friends last summer and they all got theirs done in the Bahama's, as soon as you get off the ship you'll see the women braiding - I on the other hand was like No Way! (sounds quiet spoiled of me) but I did not want to sit on the floor with crowds of others in the heat, plus the whole fact of using strangers combs, I couldn't deal and I'm glad I didn't. We separated and half the girls got their hair done and the other half went to the beach. When we met up hours later! They did not look happy and their heads hurt, they were too too tight. I got mine done on the ship later that day and the difference was that you were in a clean cool environment, and if you didn't like how it was coming out, or it was painful the women on the ship understood and fixed it. It was a little more money, but I feel it was worth it, plus I didn't miss any time in port!:rolleyes:

It all depends on the person, and their preferences! Have fun!

.... I get my daughter's hair braided twice a year and never pay more than $35 and as low as $15. I may have to pick the girl up to bring her to my house or go over their house if their mother doesn't want her child going to a stranglers home- but it is worth it....

QUOTE]

Yes, I can understand a mother's apprehension sending their daughter to a stranglers home... ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

A:)

My DD who was 8 at the time, got her hair braided in Belize. She really wanted it done and since she was paying for it herself, she/we thought the price was fair. She paid $15.00 for half a head. (10 braids) The girl was a bit rough at first, but when my DD said something, she slowed down. Also, I told my DD that if she wanted it done, she had to bring her own comb to use. It worked out fine.

We also made sure that she put sunscreen on her scalp when we were out in the sun. She did not get burned.

Enjoy the Western Caribbean. We sure did. Loved Belize. Our experience was different than most, and we can't wait to go back. Unlike most of the others who travel there, we felt quite comfortable walking through the town. As like any city, we did not go down any alleys. Had lunch at a local Mom and Pop's place and it was wonderful.

Enjoy,

Leigh

.... I get my daughter's hair braided twice a year and never pay more than $35 and as low as $15. I may have to pick the girl up to bring her to my house or go over their house if their mother doesn't want her child going to a stranglers home- but it is worth it....

QUOTE]

Yes, I can understand a mother's apprehension sending their daughter to a stranglers home... ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

A:)

You are right it is supposed to be strangers not stranglers. Ha Ha- That's funny.:o

My two daughters had their hair braided at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. One had her whole head braided for $40 having negotiated down the $45 listed price of $45. The other did half for $30. Both were happy with the results.

Paradise Beach was wonderful (check out the Cozumel board for reviews). The price for hair braiding was a little more than doing it near the pier. But, the BIG ADVANTAGE of doing it at Paradise Beach was that my wife and I were sitting under an umbrella on the beach enjoying a very tall fruity drink while the girls were having their hair done. Worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Our daughter had the half head braids put into her hair on our first cruise, and we had a time getting them out. She really wanted braids again on our second cruise, but was worried that she would have the same problem getting them out when we got home. I suggested she do a french braid, and it turned out beautifully! It only stayed in for 2 days , but the cost was a very reasonable $10...and she looks great in our formal night photo!

In February in Jamaica, we paid $2 per braid for my daughter. When i saw the girl next to us was charged around $62, I told our stylist to start making big braids, I wasn't paying over $50, and it worked out nicely.

Hi there! We're practically neighbors! Whereabouts in Jamaica did you get the braiding done? We'll be in Ocho Rios and since we're only going to Margaritaville we have time to get that done there.

Archived