Holland America comparison

jlajla

Have any of you cruised on Holland America? I am a RCI fan, but my Aunt has only cruised HAL. She is coming with me on a cruise in a couple weeks on Navigator, and I'm just wondering what the main differences are between the lines. I've already heard HAL does this, HAL does that, so I'm wondering what she'll think of RCI. My impression is that HAL is less active, older cruisers, more pampering, etc. Just curious what other people think about the two lines.

Thanks!

I have cruised with HAL 4 times and 6 times with RCI

I find that just depends on the ship and staff. They both have there good points.

The ages of the families remain the same in my opinion.

I like them equally with a little more for RCI just for their beautiful ships.

I know you are a seasoned cruiser! My aunt is just already talking about how she is "surprised" that RCI did not include this and that in the documents and I'm hoping she's not disappointed in RCI.

Any other opinions?

I've been on RCI twice and HAL once....going again on RCI next month. HAL is definitely an older, less-active crowd. I think HAL crew were more attentive and personalized. Not to say that RCI was bad. HAL was just more formal.

On a side note, I got pretty bad food poisoning when I was on HAL and ended up in the hospital for 3 days when I got home.

Be prepared she may compare everything on RCI with HAL. I think that many people compare all cruise lines to the one they took on their first cruise. Take it with a grain of salt when she does. She will still be enjoying the cruise.

Be prepared she may compare everything on RCI with HAL. I think that many people compare all cruise lines to the one they took on their first cruise. Take it with a grain of salt when she does. She will still be enjoying the cruise.

I have to agree with you Dee. Everything is subjective. Princess cruises left me a little cold when it came to their Veranda suites ,yet I loved their entertainment and cruise director the best of the three cruise lines(again , only my opinion)

4 times RCL. 5 time Celebrity, 4 time Carnival. There certainly are differences. Navigator, although an amazing ship, is more like spending the week at Mall of America. There isn't much comparison with the food; Of those three lines, I'm afraid RCL is at the bottom of the list. Food is good but not great or memorable. Except for the newer HAL Vista class ships, the ages will be a bit older on HAL. The Indonesian crew on HAL is very hard to beat. They are so accomodating and warm. And although most guests on all three lines do dress to the expected standard, HAL and Celebrity will have more tux. Also Navigator will have about 1400 more guests than HAL's largest ships. If you're lucky you will have Capt and Mrs Bang onboard.

I agree that it's hard not to compare to your "first" - I just really want everyone to be happy since I picked the ship and itinerary. She's already mentioned that she can't wait for the baked alaska parade, and my understanding is that the parade on RCI is no longer and that the baked alaska is nothing to brag about anyway!

I know she will enjoy, just wondering what you all thought about HAL.

Thanks for your insights.

I agree that it's hard not to compare to your "first" - I just really want everyone to be happy since I picked the ship and itinerary. She's already mentioned that she can't wait for the baked alaska parade, and my understanding is that the parade on RCI is no longer and that the baked alaska is nothing to brag about anyway!

I know she will enjoy, just wondering what you all thought about HAL.

Thanks for your insights.

On recent Splendour cruise, Baked Alaska was excellent, and that is not usually my first choice. At least didn't have to suffer through the parade.

Have cruised many times on HAL, and a few times each on RCI,Celebrity & Princess. For Lido Buffet, HAL has the gold standard for food selection & quality. PLus have extended hrs on free ice cream counter, excellent outdoor grill & taco makings. But RCI surpasses on service--very happy & upbeat about it--roving waiters for coffee, juices, etc....

Found HAL DR food very good, rarely outstanding, rarely a bad meal..service many times leaves a lot to be desired. For service, again, RCI was tops. The RCI food was better presented & had better baked desserts, but seems lacked the extend of choices..

Cabins are generally larger on HAL within the same price range. Didn't see much difference in service.

Shows are in a constant flux. Depends what ship, time of saiing, guest performers, etc...Both lines can range from excellent to not so great. For lounge entertainment, would give HAL the edge...

HAL will deliver the Times Fax to your cabin (the morning paper) and their libraries generally have up to date magazines..

Overall, both lines do some things better than the other, some just different. Believe your selection will prove to be excellent choice and all should have a great cruise.....

Happy cruising....

We have sailed on HAL twice (going to Alaska with them in August) and on RC Mariner last August. Yes they are different. It really depends on what your Aunt thought were the high points on HAL. In my opinion - HAL is tops in service, slightly better in the food as well. RC was great - it just wasn't HAL. As far as slightly older crowd????? we are in our forties with two kids under ten - are we older??????? HAL is skewing much younger these days - except during school when most lines will ALSO skew older.....

each line has their strengths - in my opinion any time on a cruise ship is time well savored and enjoyed.....

I've been on them both several times, but won't be going back to HAL. I've had enough of them and all of the other Carnival companies!!! :mad: HAL's ships are beautiful, cabins are awesome, but the food just okay - I saw no difference between their food and RCI's. I just like a burger for lunch and couldn't even eat them on HAL though, they were all filler and very little meat. At least RCI's is some sort of meat! :) HAL's shows were horrible with poorly designed showrooms, and what sure seemed like canned music! HAL's embarkation procedure is insane as well! :mad:

I'll agree with the above poster too, I thought HAL was just plain B O R I N G !!!

I've been on 2 RCCL, 1 HAL and 3 Carnival. While HAL had a beautiful ship, nice stateroom and good food, the clientele was much older and quieter than my cruises with RCCL. The sunning areas were rare and they kept the sliding dome closed or practically closed the entire cruise (Caribbean Cruise!). Music selections were much more classical and big band. No country or rock anywhere on the ship! I don't know if it was the atmosphere or the Cruise Line itself, but I was in bed by 10:00 pm every night (unlike any RCCL cruise I've been on). I have to say that it was definately the most quiet and relaxing cruise I've even been on! And the service was much better than any I've experienced on RCCL or Carnival! It depends on what you are looking for from your Cruise Vacation, but these lines are extreme opposites!

Have sailed on both and enjoyed both for different reasons. Most have been 10 days or longer, during the school year so demographics skewed toward the older side, but would have to agree that the HAL passengers were older.

Food:

Dining room – food quality about the same – good not great

Lido – nod to HAL for quality, but RCCL’s “stations” sure beat the standard lines.

Deck Burgers, etc. – definitely nod to HAL for both quality and selection

Cabins – HAL a bit larger, but at least on the older ships a balcony more expensive. Did aft balconies twice on Brilliance and they were great.

Entertainment – RCL gets the nod by a wide margin. Much more fun with a livelier crowd.

All of the HAL ships have a wrap-around Promenade which is not important to some, but is a big plus to us.

IMHO the Schooner bar on the Brilliance class ships is the best, especially for pre-dinner drinks and for meeting people.

Ocean Bar on HAL also very good for pre-dinner drinks and hot hors d-oeuvres.

HAL generally has far less passengers for the size of the ship which eases the on-off experience in port.

Both lines are good at having sufficient “nautical” art and themes on their ships which is something I personally like. Was on Celebrity’s Summit last month and was less than impressed with the completely “Art Deco” theme – but, of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;)

Overall, as has been posted, HAL is a far more sedate experience than RCL, but has some quality advantages that may or may not be important to you or your aunt.

We recently booked Hal’s Ryndam for 2006 – 14 day cruise out of Tampa which goes to some of our favorite islands. If RCCL’s Brilliance was still doing the more Easter/Southern route next year would have seriously considered booking that. Did the Panama Canal/Western route this year and am not in any hurry to return.

Archived