Have a line on a good guide for St. John...what should we do/see?

MamaParrotHead

I know we want to do some good snorkeling, at maybe 2-3 locations for maybe an hour each. We're in port in St. Thomas from 7-6. Can someone help me build a great itinerary for us for the day, that will put us back in St. Thomas by, what do you think, maybe 4:00? I like to be up and off the boat early too, so would love to catch the first ferry. What do you think?

How many of you are there?

To get maximum flexibility, especially in light of the fact that you want to hit multiple beaches to snorkel, would you consider renting a jeep on St. Thomas and taking it to St. John on the car barge?

I know what I'd do, but I'm also comfortable driving on both islands, know my way around St. John, and know what I'm looking for in a snorkeling spot - and I don't know any of those things about you and your group.

Some things to consider:

Do you want the absolute best snorkel experience possible, even if it means traveling a little farther and being at a beach with no facilities, lifeguards, or possibly not any other people than yourselves?

Is hiking a short/moderate/long distance to get to the point of entry agreeable to you?

Do you want/need to rely on taxis to get around?

Do you want to work a lunch/shopping stop into your plans, or would packing a cooler with food and drinks for the day meet your needs?

I can probably help you with an itinerary, but in order to do so will need some input from you on what you really want your day to be like.

But, since planning is a big part of the fun - let's get it started!

How many of you are there?

To get maximum flexibility, especially in light of the fact that you want to hit multiple beaches to snorkel, would you consider renting a jeep on St. Thomas and taking it to St. John on the car barge?

I know what I'd do, but I'm also comfortable driving on both islands, know my way around St. John, and know what I'm looking for in a snorkeling spot - and I don't know any of those things about you and your group.

Some things to consider:

Do you want the absolute best snorkel experience possible, even if it means traveling a little farther and being at a beach with no facilities, lifeguards, or possibly not any other people than yourselves?

Is hiking a short/moderate/long distance to get to the point of entry agreeable to you?

Do you want/need to rely on taxis to get around?

Do you want to work a lunch/shopping stop into your plans, or would packing a cooler with food and drinks for the day meet your needs?

I can probably help you with an itinerary, but in order to do so will need some input from you on what you really want your day to be like.

But, since planning is a big part of the fun - let's get it started!

Thanks Augie! We actually have the guide lined up for $30 pp and there will be atleast 8 of us, possibly more. I'd rather pay that than mess with renting a vehicle, I'm always so nervous if something would happen that would delay our return to the ship.

I'm open to hitting a few places without facilities as it's not like we'll be spending the entire day there and can grab drinks and use the facilities en route. Lifeguards not necessary, but hitting a few spots with maybe life jacket rentals so the kids can have the option of snorkeling (though they're just as happy playing in the sand and waves on the beach). Hiking short distances OK, but we will have my dad with us, who's a bit older and we'd rather spend our day in the water rather than getting to it. :) Any beach that has a bit of a shelf so the kids can touch there and play in the water would be a must.

I'd rather not hassle with coolers, so stopping somewhere along the way for lunch would be ideal (does Kenny Chesney still have his bar somewhere on St. John?). Extensive shopping not necessary, but we'd love to get a tshirt or two and maybe an ornament for our Christmas tree. Any great photo op stops along the way would also be great.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

I would get off of the ship as early as possible, and head to Red Hook right away to catch the first ferry that you can. With a party the size of yours, you should be able to fill up a taxi van - that should help you get to Red Hook as quickly as possible since you won't need to make stops/detours along the way at other hotels, resorts, etc.

Do you have a way to contact your guide so that he can meet you in Cruz Bay as soon as you get off of the ferry there? If so, then I'd head straightaway towards the north shore beaches since you'll be ahead of almost all of the cruisers going there on excursions, or from ships that dock later than yours.

You could go to Trunk Bay, but if you'd rather not pay the $4 pp entry fee there, continue on to Cinnamon Bay instead - they have facilities just like Trunk does. If you want to go to Trunk, perhaps Cinnamon can be your second stop. I'd make Maho Bay or Francis my next beach stop. They are building bathrooms at Maho, so that may be done by the time you go. Both Maho and Francis have shallow sandy areas that the kids would be fine playing in, and some easy snorkeling as well.

You could always go back to Cruz Bay for food and shopping, but it sounds as though you may have time to go to Coral Bay. It depends on how soon you get started and how long you stay at the beaches. I'd let your guide know that you want to be on the 3PM ferry back to Red Hook, and he can help you decide what you have time to do.

If you have time, have him take you to Skinny Leg's for burgers in Coral Bay. You can find some cool t-shirts at the Jolly Dog Trading Company that is adjacent to Skinny's. Do have him drive you to the Coral Bay overlook at Chateau Bordeaux.

Then, depending on time, he will either drive you back to Cruz Bay via Centerline Rd. (the quickest route) or back along North Shore Rd. (the more scenic route). If the latter, the afternoon is a great time of day to take photos at the Trunk and Caneel overlooks.

If you get back to town with time to spare before catching the ferry, there are a number of places to shop (St. John Spice, upstairs right next to the ferry dock is one of my favorites), grab a smoothie, rum drink, etc.

I know you'l have a great day!

PERFECT! Just the information I was needing. Next question...how much per person from Havensight to Red Hook? Last time we were in St. Thomas we used Sunny Liston (and loved him) and he's hooking us up with the guide he knows on St. John. Sunny's offered to take us to Red Hook and back for $20 per person round trip, as I know he's reliable and I'm wondering if having the peace of mind of knowing he'll be waiting for us at Red Hook and will get us back to Havensight is worth it.

Archived