Maya ruins questions

ute_fan

My son and his wife are going to be in Costa Maya in October on their honeymoon cruise. They have their excursions planned in Cozumel and Roatan, but are trying to decide whether they want to do a ruins tour in Belize or Costa Maya.

I have two questions:

First -- For those of you who have done ruins tours in both places, which one would you recommend most highly? We've been to Belize, but have never been to Costa Maya.

Second -- if they want to spend one day just exploring without doing an excursion, which port would you recommend. I'm guessing that Costa Maya might be safer, but I'm not sure.

I think Costa Maya is much more enjoyable to just wander around. I'd grab a ride into town and just hang-out, eat and drink and relax. The ruins there are nice, but nothing on the scale of Lamanai in Belize. That trip is a real adventure with a boat ride up the river and the amazing ruins in the jungle with all kinds of wildlife.

I've been to the ruins in Costa Maya and Altun Ha in Belize. There are two other ruins in Belize that are available to see via ship excursions. I've read wonderful recommendations on Lamanai as the previous poster suggested. There is also an enjoyable excursion that combines a boat ride with looking for various wildlife with a tour of Altun Ha in Belize.

I think its easier to find things to do without going on a tour in Costa Maya, as the previous poster suggested. The beach is close and easy to get to. If they only wanted to do a planned excursion in Belize or Costa Maya, I'd suggest the ruins tour in Belize and the beach in Costa Maya. Its harder to enjoy Belize without going on a planned tour.

That said, I really enjoyed the ruins tour in Costa Maya and would recommend it if they weren't doing a ruins tour in Belize. Its worth the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My son has been to Lamanai before, so I think they will either do Altun Ha in Belize and find a beach in Costa Maya, or do a ruins tour in Costa Maya and stay on the ship in Belize.

Archived