Passport turnaround?

BigDfromTN

Mine took 6 weeks back in May, 2011. I think the estimate they gave us was 6-8 weeks. I wouldn't count on getting a passport in less than 46 days with regular processing.

There is an option to expedite the processing, for an extra fee...

The website said 6-8 weeks for new passports and 4-6 for name changes/renewals last I checked. I changed mine earlier this year and it took either 4 or 5 weeks just for the name change. Better safe then sorry, I would tell your friend to pay the extra money and expedite it with only 46 days to go.

My sons came back in 3 1/2 weeks for the card. Friends came back in 3 for the cards. All five of these just got them Thursday of last week. It was sorta funny they sent them off at different times and all got them on the same day. Another friend got a passport book and it took 2 weeks in July.

Applied for our passports July 6, got them all back around July 29.. so a little over three weeks. You can go to the Dept. of State website after your application has been received and give them your e-mail address.. they will notify you when they send the passports out.

Oh yeah, they were passport books and we didn't put any rush on them either. Guessing your travelling companion would be fine doing the same this far out. Just make sure all info and the pic are up to specifications, so it doesn't get returned.

If I remember correctly the birth certificates now have to have the mother and fathers name listed. If they do not list the parents name you must get a new bc from the state before you can apply for a passport. There are just a handfull of states that did not list the parents name. I believe PA stated listing the parents name in 1971 so any one born prior to then must get a new bc. This new step is adding some time to the process time.

Send it in ASAP but you have time to do it regular. My renewal too 3 weeks. just came back a couple weeks ago and I sail on Sunday. On your application it has your planned travel date so they are aware of when you need it back. If you don't have it two weeks before you go. contact Dept of State by phone or Online to let them know. travel.state.gov is the web site. I retred as a Postmaster so I'm used to answering these questions for people who applied through us. In the absolute worse possible case, you can go to thier office, with an appointment, the day before and get one. I think that costs extra though.

I applied for mine Aug 11, and it came in the mail Aug 26th. So that's a tad over 2 weeks? Not bad. Of course they didn't send my birth certificate back to me like it said they would either.

Birth Certificate will come back a week or so later in a separate mailing

In the last 45 days I have done four different passports, three different ways (new lost, children, new), on three different days and all four have been back for at least a week. I say it took between 3-4 weeks to get each one. I signed up to get the email and got the email the day I receive my passport. :)

DH and DD applied for theirs a month ago. I was nervous since we are cruising mid-September. Got both back in 2 weeks and 1 day. I was shocked. I wouldn't guarantee that turnaround time though. The standard is 6-8 weeks. I got mine last February and it took 4 weeks.

Archived