PADI Open Water Referral / Completion Dives: good use of a dive, or a waste?

HUHoney60

We're travelling with RCI to the Caribbean. We're considering completing the PADI Open Water Cert. theory & confined dives at home, and then the 4 OW dives during our cruise (2 dives/day x 2 days).

Is this a good use of our time? Will we see anything during our "test" dives? Or, will we be too focused on skills to pay attention to fish and enjoy ourselves? :confused:

I like the idea of qualifying in warm, clear water rather than our nearby murky lake, and also being accompanied for our first dives in the ocean. (In fact, even after achieving the cert., we'd likely go with a guide/DM!) BUT I wouldn't want to dedicate two port days to SCUBA and not be able to remember them and/or enjoy them for focusing on passing.

Thanks!

I did my checkout dives in Belize and there was lots to see besides performing the required skills. Each dive was at a different site and they got deeper as we went. I was not on a cruise when I got my certification and went diving 5 of the 7 days we were on Ambergris Caye.

If you are doing your checkout dives on a cruise you will have to use two different dive ops in two locales, correct? I would wonder how the dive ops work together with you meeting all of the requirements.

After over 50 dives in 4 years, I have yet to have a dive that was not memorable in one way or the other.

My two cents:

Much of your four open water dives will be spent demonstrating skills, something which can be done in a murky lake just as well as the beautiful Caribbean

Spend your valuable time on a cruise actually doing full dives on a nice reef for as long as your excitement at your new hobby allows your air to last.

Dive excursions from a cruise ship are too short to do the skills and enjoy yourself. You will be totally focused on doing the skills. I would recommend getting certified at home and spending all your dives enjoying yourself.

Also, the way they typically coordinate using different dive operators is that the onboard scuba instructor will do your certification. He will join you on two dive excursions and do all the certification. He'll just use the dive operator's equipment to do the work.

I second that. Get certified locally if possible.

It makes you a better SCUBA diver to do your training in tougher conditions. we did our training in Calgary, AB. with our open water dive in Banff National Park. The altitude of the lake is 1450 m (4757 ft) and the temperature of the water was 10 degrees C (50 degrees F). Performing skills in this temperature is rather brutal, especially the mask removal. But we are now prepared for any weather. I may even try some ice diving in the future.

Sure, we could have done our skills in nice, comfortable warm water, but we are now trained for cold weather and high altitude diving, which makes tropical diving so much easier and enjoyable.

one last thing. i've heard about some PADI certified dive shops in tropical areas that will just rubber stamp your PADI course without the comprehensive training. This really invalidates the PADI certificate for you and only increases your risk of accident or death for your diving experience. Not only are you investing your time and money, this is an asset you will keep for the rest of your life. Use it wisely.

Good luck on your PADI.

I agree with the other posters encouraging you to do your checkout dives at home.

We were originally going to travel somewhere warm for our checkout dives, but my husband convinced me do them here in Monterey, CA, and I'm SO happy we did. Now we are comfortable diving in cold water with 15 vis and tropical diving is so much eaiser on us.

Also, I have never known a tropical dive op to send you down without a DM guide unless you ask to go off on your own. I enjoy diving with DMs because I don't have to worry as much about navigation and they can point out some really cool stuff you'd otherwise miss!

We did our OW certification dives in Playa del Carmen when we were on vacation. The skill stuff was concentrated at the beginning and end of the dive, and we definitely had time to enjoy the dive in-between. Given the choice, though, I would think it would be better to do your cert dives locally, and then you can just enjoy the diving when you are on your cruise. Either way, have fun!

Like others, I did my OW dives in a murky, cold, high altitude lake in Colorado. As the instructor said, every dive after that will be a treat. If you can relax with limited visibility and cold water, you will really be at ease diving in warm, clear water. My dive buddy (also doing her OW before her honeymoon and who was not all that comfortable in the water) freaked out due to the limited visability, surfaced and generally had a bad experience. So be sure you are comfortable in the murky water or do your OW in warm, clear water.

Another issue is cost.

I was on a cruise once and there was a couple doing the same thing. They had to find an instructor willing to do the dives with them, and then pay him what he wanted. They ended up paying about $600 to complete their certification dives.

Better to enjoy your dives than go through that headache.

Another issue is cost.

I was on a cruise once and there was a couple doing the same thing. They had to find an instructor willing to do the dives with them, and then pay him what he wanted. They ended up paying about $600 to complete their certification dives.

Better to enjoy your dives than go through that headache.

Important point 'tween the lines here

You can NOT simply sign up for a ship's excursion dive and count this as one of your check out dives. Check out dives must be lead by an instructor. The standard ship's excursion is not staffed for this and can not accomidate. In my experience the check out dives will start with #1 being very regimented and #4 being a quick final check then 'go have fun' {btw I did the course twice, once for me in 74 and later when DW went thru cuz I wanted to see what she was being taught} but I'm SURE that has a lot to do with the instructor's opinion of the skill level observed .... AND the skill level of the instructor ... AND if the instructor cares at all ... and and and

How much will you see on a check out? Expect not much. But things will get much better after . . .

Can you fly in a few days prior to the cruise and do the open water portion then? A nice excuse to start your vacation early...

IF this an option consider heading down to Key Largo where there are a number of excellent dive operations

My preferred operator is Quiescence Diving Services, located very near Pennekamp Park. http://www.keylargodiving.com/. First dove with them some 25 years ago.

They do this all the time:

Want to conduct your Open Water Training Dives in a warm, tropical environment for Open Water Certification?

If you are an Open Water Student who has completed the Academics and Confined Water portions of your course, give us a call in advance at PH (305) 451-2440 to schedule the dives over 2 days. Bring your valid Referral material from your Originating Instructor (and medical release, as necessary). Includes 2 Boat Trips, 4-5 Dives on the Reef (depending on which agency), & Instruction Fees. Equipment included.

Course Fee $295

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my OW diver certification over the weekend, and I must say, do it before you go. You have so many skills you need to work on, you don't get a whole lot of time to explore and enjoy yourself.

Also, why deny yourself the extra dives? Diving in a lake/quarry is better than not diving at all imo.

....Also, why deny yourself the extra dives? Diving in a lake/quarry is better than not diving at all imo.

You have clearly never been to my particular quarry.:) I could not see my hand if I stretched out my arm, visibility was maybe a foot, but it waS still a useful learning experience.

You have clearly never been to my particular quarry.:) I could not see my hand if I stretched out my arm, visibility was maybe a foot, but it waS still a useful learning experience.

That's the BEST way to train! I did my open water training in Lake Murray in South Carolina. It was so murky, you could not see more than 6 inches, but it made a world of difference. Since I only dive clear water now, I know that if I were to find myself in an area with poor visibility, I will be better prepared than if I had never experienced it.

We did all our training at home and then did our four OW dives during our cruise. With the help of my instructor we had dives planned on St. Kitts and St. maartin. We did not set up the dives through the cruise line. We loved doing it this way. Both dive operations were very thourough with our skills and also gave us some time to enjoy the dive. We now have our Advanced certification, which we got at the quarry. I loved our experience in both St. Kitts (Kenneth Dive Shop) and St. Maartins (Octopus Diving).

Why dont you do the cert ahead of time? You can get in NOW, get certed and then dive in the ocean for reg dives!!!

While the attraction of diving in warmer water is definitely a plus, my partner took longer than I to get his cert and I needed to be with him. I wouldnt have enjoyed getting certed in the warm waters because my time would have been spent focusing on him. I don't mind that I had to kinda of stay back, because this diver is going to be my diver forever. ;)

I just think that getting certed is something you really DO need to focus on! I also dont believe the fly by night certification is the best certification. You cant learn it all in a weekend course. Would you want your family to dive with you learning the ropes over a weekend?

I just finished my OW diver certification over the weekend, and I must say, do it before you go. You have so many skills you need to work on, you don't get a whole lot of time to explore and enjoy yourself.

Also, why deny yourself the extra dives? Diving in a lake/quarry is better than not diving at all imo.

Exactly!

Archived