Photos Download Device

We have a Galapagos Islands cruise coming up and expect to take a lot pictures. We have heard that some people bring along a laptop or ipad and download from cameras while on the trip. Sounds good, but a little pricey for such a limited puropose. Is there a less expensive alternative?

One method I use instead of one or two large memory cards are numerous smaller ones. Every morning I get out a different card and just rotate through my stack of cards each day. If one card is lost or corrupt it's no biggie since it's only a fraction of the photos from that trip.

Card readers and backup devices were a bit of a thing 4 or 5 years ago but I think they have been eclipsed by technology. A netbook is now available for the same price as a decent card reader and is capable of so much more.

For timeless vacations pictures are priceless. To many stories about lost cameras, cards or user error causing corruption :mad:

1) Buy enough cards for 2x what you think you'll shoot. Cards are so cheap one shouldn't be erasing pictures on a trip because you are low of memory.

2) Secure cards in a nice storage bag, in the safe? Big carrying case harder to lose. Don't put all your pictures on one card only to lose the camera or the card becomes corrupt. Develop a regular procedure of how you rotate and store cards that is foolproof ;)

3) Backup once you remove the card from Camera. iPad is a horrible storage device, great viewing device. A netbook is small and runs only 300 bucks or so for 350GB.

One method I use instead of one or two large memory cards are numerous smaller ones. Every morning I get out a different card and just rotate through my stack of cards each day. If one card is lost or corrupt it's no biggie since it's only a fraction of the photos from that trip.

Card readers and backup devices were a bit of a thing 4 or 5 years ago but I think they have been eclipsed by technology. A netbook is now available for the same price as a decent card reader and is capable of so much more.

That is what I do. One card for "ship" pictures, and one each card for each port. Works great and I also take a lot of pictures.

JimmyJames

• 2 weeks later...

This was going to be my suggestion.

We recently invested in a netbook and one of the ports has a slot for SD memory cards...no external reader necessary. We love being able to take the memory straight from the camera put it into the netbook, download the pics and return the memory card to the camera. Nothing to attach. Works great.

Archived