How strict are they in kids club

We are going on AOS on 4/17. I have a 14 year boy who is 2 months shy of 15. Will he be able to get into the teen disco or are they really strict about it. The families we are going with the boys are 15 already and planning on going there. Also a friend that is going with us daughter is 11 , shy of 3 weeks of her 12 birthday. Will she be able to get in the 12-14 year old club or will she have to stay down? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks.

No real experience but do recall reading on our Feb/05 cruise that ID is required for the teen disco for 12-14 year olds. I remember because I thought it odd that they would have ID's with their birthdate. Maybe I misread, again I don't have personal experience as my daughter is only 10.

Bon Voyage

Dawna

my 11 yr old is a few weeks shy of 12... so she simply did the 12-14 navigators activities.. my 13 yr old tried to do the 15-17 yr old things a few times and they questioned him and he left cooperatively. i dont think they card you... its a fun and casual atmosphere with common sense prevailing. have fun and what i learned the most last week on voyager... dont stress,,, it all works out and youre in for the time of your life :) !:D

We've sailed 3 times with our teen daughter, so I can tell you a few things from experience.

They do card to get into the 15-17 year old night time activities. The kids' sea pass cards have certain designations on them (this is more to keep 18+ year olds out than to designate between teen age groups) and the teen staff/security bouncer (yes, there really was one at least on Navigator where there are 2 separate teen clubs) have a roster of the kids based on the pre-boarding information you provide (so you can't lie about age -- they're using the info from your birth certificate/passport to generate this list).

That being said, you should know a few things: Adventure of the Seas only has 1 teen club area (Mariner and Navigator have 2). Unless you are on a holiday/summer vacation/spring break sailing where there will be a lot of teens on board you will probably find that a number of the 12-14 and 15-17 activities will be combined.

Also, you can request to have your child officially moved to another age group -- but at least in the younger age groups they require that the child attend 2(??) sessions in their appropriate age group so that the Adventure Ocean staff can analyze their maturity -- and to give the kids a chance to connect with other kids their own age and possibly decide to stay where they are.

We've experienced 3 different age groups and I can tell you that the Adventure Ocean Program is well designed to meet the needs of the age groups they've established. Membership in the 15-17 age group is basically just being given a designated place to hang out -- there are very few activities. The 12-14 age group does have a bit more organized activities (battle of the sexes games, scavenger hunts, etc), but they too have just a lot of loosley supervised hang-out time.

The kids will have a great time, regardless of what age groups they end up participating in. I can tell you from experience that when my daughter sailed with 2 female cousins (all in the 12-14 age group) they all made their own friends who they spent time with during the week. Did the 3 of them do some things together - yes, but they spent equal time doing different activities alone with their new friends.

- PAGA

We were on the 2/20/05 Mariner sailing (which was President's Week, and at full capacity with lots of kids), and my almost 12 year old tried to get into the 12-14 group, but she was not allowed to move up. The counselors originally said she had to attend one session in the 9-11 group for "evaluation" and they'd consider letting her move up. She went for 3 sessions and they never offered to let her make the change. She's very mature for her age, so my belief is that they had more kids in the 12-14 group that week, and so they didn't want to move her up. That being said, she still had a great time because she befriended two other girls who were in the same boat as she was (a month or less shy of 12) and they went off and did things outside of the kids club.

Archived