Balcony Safety ??

2boyzmom

I've got to be an attorney? Why, because I see that this nation is swarming with frivolous lawsuits? I don't follow your logic.

I've said that I don't think it's right. That, unfortunately, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. People sue for their own stupidity all the time and win. It's a problem with our judicial system.

I'm sorry you missed the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

I've got to be an attorney? Why, because I see that this nation is swarming with frivolous lawsuits? I don't follow your logic.

I've said that I don't think it's right. That, unfortunately, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. People sue for their own stupidity all the time and win. It's a problem with our judicial system.

Carnival has a pretty solid contract, which basically says "don't sue us for your own stupidity"... well, in so many words :p

Regardless of any contract, Carnival is liable for injuries if they are negligent. For example, if the balcony door has lock and the lock is broken, they would have liability if a child got out on the balcony and got hurt.

Regardless of any contract, Carnival is liable for injuries if they are negligent. For example, if the balcony door has lock and the lock is broken, they would have liability if a child got out on the balcony and got hurt.

That lock would be fixed quicker than you could say lawsuit and then it would be a case of he said she said.

That lock would be fixed quicker than you could say lawsuit and then it would be a case of he said she said.

Not to mention the contributory negligence of the parent not supervising the little brat.

LOL, it's hard enough for me, as a grown adult to open those doors! LOL!!!! I was not referring to a situation where something was broken... but was referring to what the others have been talking about in regards to the safety of balconies and children... without anything being "broken"... sorry for the confusion

Not to mention the contributory negligence of the parent not supervising the little brat.

Do you guys do live in a cave? Don't you recall the woman who sued and got millions from McDonald's because the coffee that she dropped in her lap was too hot and there should have been a warning that the coffee was hot and could burn you? She dropped the coffee but McDonald's had to shell out big $$$.

Right or wrong, lawsuits happen when 2 parties have differing opinions on what happened and what should have happened.

Instead of conspiring to destroy evidence by replacing the lock and a case of he said/I said, the most likely outcome would be an out of court settlement/confidentiality agreement that would keep all of this out of the news. If they conspired to destroy evidence, the damages would be 10X what they would have to pay for negligence alone.

Do you guys do live in a cave? Don't you recall the woman who sued and got millions from McDonald's because the coffee that she dropped in her lap was too hot and there should have been a warning that the coffee was hot and could burn you? She dropped the coffee but McDonald's had to shell out big $$$.

Right or wrong, lawsuits happen when 2 parties have differing opinions on what happened and what should have happened.

Instead of conspiring to destroy evidence by replacing the lock and a case of he said/I said, the most likely outcome would be an out of court settlement/confidentiality agreement that would keep all of this out of the news. If they conspired to destroy evidence, the damages would be 10X what they would have to pay for negligence alone.

Live in a cave? I don't think so. Yes I think everyone remebers the idiot who spilled coffee in her lap.

See there's the beauty of it all. They quickly and quietly fix the lock and no one is wiser.

You're right. There needs to be a warning sign on the balcony door: "Jumping off the balcony into the ocean may result in injury or death, or at least getting very wet."

Morons.

Don't forget, it needs to be in multiple languages because not everyone reads english! ;)

Ever been to Disney? The monorail has audible warnings in multiple languages telling people to keep clear of the doors....because they open! hahaha

Don't forget, it needs to be in multiple languages because not everyone reads english! ;)

Considering they get on and off the ship in America.....they should.

As a former Director of Sales and Marketing for a Resort on the South Carolina coast, I have very often dealt with the above issues.

In my group contracts, it clearly states that we are not responsible for injuries due to negligence of the guest puting the burden of blame on the guest. Meaning if they get hurt, they have to prove we were negligent and did something wrong and careless. Much harder to do than if we had to prove we weren't careless. Does that make sense?

If a guest were to fall by the pool for whatever reason, by having the pool rules clearly posted, it would absolve us of blame.

Secondly, and most importantly, we reserved the right to arbitration and if the guest violated this by trying to sue us, we automatically got all attorney fees.

Not only did the contract have to be signed and witnessed, it had to be initialed on all pages.

The above are for groups.

Even if you don't sign anything, by paying Carnival you automatically agree to every single one of their terms and conditions. No way around that and I'm sure they have a clause that reads if you fall off the ship because you are a dumbass, you cannot sue us.

I'm sure Carnival has something very similar.

Lastly, corporations often settle because it is often much cheaper for them to cut a check to the plaintiff than to pay for a defense team. That goes a long way in helping fuel the litigious society we live in.

Why would that mean he lives in a cave? When I travel to another country, I have two choices... learn the language, or just make do... they don't learn MY Language to "suit" me... Sorry, I get very irritated with comments such as those... If you make a choice to live in this country, you should be required to at least ATTEMPT to learn the language... it's common in other countries and should be here.

Sorry to be SOOOOOOO O/T!!! :D

If you make a choice to live in this country, you should be required to at least ATTEMPT to learn the language...

Not good enough. A minimum passing grade on the TOEFL should be *required.* Speak English or get out. Period.

[quote name='livtojump']Considering they get on and off the ship in America.....they should.[/QUOTE]

Guess what: not all passengers are from "America." They are tourists here (helping offset our huge trade deficit), and we should be respectful that not all will be wholly fluent in English.

We have had family members from Europe accompany us on a cruise and one of them knew very little English.

To carry your logic forward, if someone was cruising on the Liberty this summer leaving out of a port in Italy, would that person have to be functionally fluent in Italian? Or what about on the Destiny, out of San Juan? Spanish too? Ooops, I forgot that not one of Carnival's ships is registered in the U.S...

[quote name='CanTex']
To carry your logic forward, if someone was cruising on the Liberty this summer leaving out of a port in Italy, would that person have to be functionally fluent in Italian? Or what about on the Destiny, out of San Juan? Spanish too? Ooops, I forgot that not one of Carnival's ships is registered in the U.S...[/QUOTE]

I think that is exactly my point... you won't go to Italy, or San Juan and see everything translated to English... some things, yes... but not everything, and certainly not all "warnings"... If you don't know the basics, you will be lost. The poster above was saying that everything should be translated to other languages... I, as an American, don't expect this when I travel to other countries... and not sure why everything we have printed HERE should be in 15 other languages... it is the price you pay when you travel to other countries... making a brief attempt to learn some of the basics really helps when traveling.

[quote name='CanTex']Guess what: not all passengers are from "America." They are tourists here (helping offset our huge trade deficit), and we should be respectful that not all will be wholly fluent in English.

We have had family members from Europe accompany us on a cruise and one of them knew very little English.

To carry your logic forward, if someone was cruising on the Liberty this summer leaving out of a port in Italy, would that person have to be functionally fluent in Italian? Or what about on the Destiny, out of San Juan? Spanish too? Ooops, I forgot that not one of Carnival's ships is registered in the U.S...[/QUOTE]

So? I don't expect any "foreigner" to be fluent in English - that's rediculous but don't think that expecting an attempt is. I'd be curious to see what percentage of PAX are from non-English speaking countries. I'd bet it's pretty low. Majority rules.

But at least he/she knew "some" and I'd be willing to bet made an honest attempt.

Nope not one ship registered in the U.S. but the company is HQ'd here and to date all sailings ARE from the U.S.

Tef - You've just insipred me to break out the "Welcome to America" T-shirt :D

[quote name='livtojump']Considering they get on and off the ship in America.....they should.[/QUOTE]

Holy intolerance, Batman.

Do you all attempt to speak Spanish in Mexico, or do you rather speak English and have the tour guides attempt to speak English back to you? My stars...

[quote name='lilsonicfan']Holy intolerance, Batman.

Do you all attempt to speak Spanish in Mexico, or do you rather speak English and have the tour guides attempt to speak English back to you? My stars...[/QUOTE]

Yes, so what. I guess I'm what would be called the "ugly American"....big deal.

Matter of fact yes I do make an attempt. If it fails at least I've tried.

[quote name='GoinCruisin']I think that is exactly my point... you won't go to Italy, or San Juan and see everything translated to English... [/QUOTE]

I can't speak for San Juan, as I've never been there.

When's the last time you were in Europe? Every time I've been there, nearly every native of the countries we've visited speak very good English (generally better than Americans do, anyway). Generally everything is written in the native language and english. There is nothing wrong with accomodating tourists' foreign language, and it is financially beneficial to the tourist industry.

Archived