Solo Christmas on NCL?

cherylroslyn

A year ago I booked a Christmas cruise for this coming Christmas and NewYears.......

I have not given it much thought but now I am wondering whatI was thinking.....

I never really thought about Christmas Day and wathching all the families eat together while I'm alone.......

I usually meet people on ships and I am often invited to eat with other passengers....and sometimes crew that I know from other ships.....but this is the first time I am going to be on a Christmas sailing.......

Has anyone ever gone solo on Christmas.....or solo on NCL on Christmas.....

I think I was was in a weird mood when I booke dthe cruise......maybe mad at some relatives....

The easiest time for me to sail is Christmas becasue of my job.....I am only missing 2 days of work and I am gone 11......so maybe I just decided to be selfish.....and when I offered to take my daughter she didn't want to come.....

This will be the third year that I'm cruising solo during the holidays. I've cruised HAL twice before (PC and Mexico) both cruises being 12+ nights. This year I'll be on HAL in the Carib for 10 nights.

I've enjoyed my solo cruises during this time. Each year I find more and more solos cruising during the holidays. Last cruise there was a small group of us solos who visited at the lido many evenings. I found most people pretty friendly and I really love getting away from it all during each holiday season. Like you job wise this is a great time for me to get away.

I haven't done any 7 night cruises during the holidays because I'm concerned about being overwhelmed with children. So far I've been lucky on my longer cruises. Faith

This will be the third year that I'm cruising solo during the holidays. I've cruised HAL twice before (PC and Mexico) both cruises being 12+ nights. This year I'll be on HAL in the Carib for 10 nights.

I've enjoyed my solo cruises during this time. Each year I find more and more solos cruising during the holidays. Last cruise there was a small group of us solos who visited at the lido many evenings. I found most people pretty friendly and I really love getting away from it all during each holiday season. Like you job wise this is a great time for me to get away.

I haven't done any 7 night cruises during the holidays because I'm concerned about being overwhelmed with children. So far I've been lucky on my longer cruises. Faith

Faith, Thanks for responding.... You are making me feel a little better about my decision. I am on for a 10 night as well and it takes me through to January 4 so hopefully not as many kids either...... but I definitely know there will be plenty.

I guess I should just remember that I never have a problem eating alone on any other night of the year so why should Christmas be any different...... I'm sure the staff will keep me company if I start crying in my bisque!!!!! I think I will make reservations for the speacialty restaurant on that night...... Thanks for your reply and enjoy your Holiday cruise!!!!

Last cruise (HAL to Mexico) I tried the anytime dining for the first time. I really liked going casual this time around--I hit the MDR just two times this cruise and caught the sunset most nights this time around.

In recent years I've noticed more solos cruising around the holidays. Since I really prefer a more casual cruise and I hear that NCL has good entertainment options, I'm thinking I should give them a look/see next time around. I'd love to hear your thoughts about your cruise when you get back.

I always bring enough reading material/hobby stuff with me as if I'm going to be away for three months. Mostly I find friendly people hanging out in all areas of the ship and I barely get through one book. I don't think of myself as the most independent traveller--I mostly do tours & cruises solo. I find cruising very comfortable as a solo--a great mix of mostly friendly people with peace and quiet to enjoy the sea. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Faith

Last cruise (HAL to Mexico) I tried the anytime dining for the first time. I really liked going casual this time around--I hit the MDR just two times this cruise and caught the sunset most nights this time around.

In recent years I've noticed more solos cruising around the holidays. Since I really prefer a more casual cruise and I hear that NCL has good entertainment options, I'm thinking I should give them a look/see next time around. I'd love to hear your thoughts about your cruise when you get back.

I always bring enough reading material/hobby stuff with me as if I'm going to be away for three months. Mostly I find friendly people hanging out in all areas of the ship and I barely get through one book. I don't think of myself as the most independent traveller--I mostly do tours & cruises solo. I find cruising very comfortable as a solo--a great mix of mostly friendly people with peace and quiet to enjoy the sea. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Faith

Thank you Faith. I think you summed up what I love about cruising perfectly......

I do exactly what you do.....I'm never bored and really not alone too much. Heck i'm alone at home so what difference does it make????

I will report back about NCL during the holidays. I have done NCL solo and i don't have a problem with it at all....

I am getting ready for a trip to alaska in a little over a week. Ten days, which is my longest cruise to date. It is on Clebrity and I love Celebrity so I am pretty excited.

You will love Alaska. I cruised Alaska on both a 20,000 ton explorer type ship (back in 1998-my first cruise) and, years later, on the Star Princess, a 100,000+ ship. Very different experiences and I enjoyed both.

I've started to look at cruises for 2012. In May there are 2 Pacific Coast cruises I am eyeing--both leave Southern California and end up in Vancouver 7 nights later. I love the cool weather cruises and it is just a short hop flight wise since I live in Northern California. But I still might do Alaska again.

I've also been looking at cruises over the holidays in 2012. I dream of doing one of the big trips--to SA/Anartacia, OZ/NZ, Asia but the cost seems out of this world. I've also thought about doing the SD-Hawaii-SD run on the Golden Princess. I'm just not sure how I'll do on 4-5 sea days back and forth to Hawaii.

Enjoy Alaska. I'm an ex NYer now living in CA for 30 + years. But as soon as I open my mouth everyone here knows I'm not a native. Faith

It's so nice to hear of good experiences, with cruising solo. I will be doing my first solo cruise this December. I'll be spending 12/24 in Rio, & then flying back that night --- not exactly Christmas on the ship, but rather Christmas in the air, & then likely exhausted back home! Don't know if there will be family around when I return, but at least I'll have my cat to welcome me home! Just will need to plan ahead to have some food to eat, after all the good cruise food, & no stores open on the 25th! My cruise is 16 days, so I hope to meet others, & enjoy the journey as another new experience.

Faith, I hope you make it to many on your list of dream trips. I did SA in '09 (LA to Rio, 30 days), & it was absolutely wonderful! It sounds like you did the smart thing in booking your holiday trip, Cherylroslyn, & am wishing you a wonderful trip!

A year ago I booked a Christmas cruise for this coming Christmas and NewYears.......

I have not given it much thought but now I am wondering whatI was thinking.....

I never really thought about Christmas Day and wathching all the families eat together while I'm alone.......

I usually meet people on ships and I am often invited to eat with other passengers....and sometimes crew that I know from other ships.....but this is the first time I am going to be on a Christmas sailing.......

Has anyone ever gone solo on Christmas.....or solo on NCL on Christmas.....

I think I was was in a weird mood when I booke dthe cruise......maybe mad at some relatives....

The easiest time for me to sail is Christmas becasue of my job.....I am only missing 2 days of work and I am gone 11......so maybe I just decided to be selfish.....and when I offered to take my daughter she didn't want to come.....

Hello - I have been pretty much everywhere in the world traveling solo and generally spend a couple of weeks in December on a cruise. My children are grown and I see them every holiday except Christmas when they are with their father. December is also good for me since I'm in education. While I am very comfortable traveling alone, there will always be people you'll find interesting that you can chat with. I've met some of the most interesting people in my life on a cruise! I am actually considering a back to back on Epic over Christmas. I generally travel HA...but, gosh, the entertainment looks great on the Epic! One of the legs is the cruise you are on. If it works out, I'll be there for you :-) --Candace

Hello - I have been pretty much everywhere in the world traveling solo and generally spend a couple of weeks in December on a cruise. My children are grown and I see them every holiday except Christmas when they are with their father. December is also good for me since I'm in education. While I am very comfortable traveling alone, there will always be people you'll find interesting that you can chat with. I've met some of the most interesting people in my life on a cruise! I am actually considering a back to back on Epic over Christmas. I generally travel HA...but, gosh, the entertainment looks great on the Epic! One of the legs is the cruise you are on. If it works out, I'll be there for you :-) --Candace

I'm actually on the Dawn. But I did do the Epic and I loved the Epic. You are right there are tons of entertainment options available.... I hope you enjoy your cruise!!!!

You will love Alaska. I cruised Alaska on both a 20,000 ton explorer type ship (back in 1998-my first cruise) and, years later, on the Star Princess, a 100,000+ ship. Very different experiences and I enjoyed both.

I've started to look at cruises for 2012. In May there are 2 Pacific Coast cruises I am eyeing--both leave Southern California and end up in Vancouver 7 nights later. I love the cool weather cruises and it is just a short hop flight wise since I live in Northern California. But I still might do Alaska again.

I've also been looking at cruises over the holidays in 2012. I dream of doing one of the big trips--to SA/Anartacia, OZ/NZ, Asia but the cost seems out of this world. I've also thought about doing the SD-Hawaii-SD run on the Golden Princess. I'm just not sure how I'll do on 4-5 sea days back and forth to Hawaii.

Enjoy Alaska. I'm an ex NYer now living in CA for 30 + years. But as soon as I open my mouth everyone here knows I'm not a native. Faith

Faith I know what you mean....I open my mouth and everyone knows where I am from as well.....

I have also been looking at some of those big trips...the key is to book very early....I've seen some great deals......but the airfare is the unknown!!!!

I can't wait for Alaska....I'll let you all know how it goes. Someone on my roll call said the weather in the ports has been as low as 43 degrees and as high as 80 last week.....I hope I can fit all the clothing I will need......

It's so nice to hear of good experiences, with cruising solo. I will be doing my first solo cruise this December. I'll be spending 12/24 in Rio, & then flying back that night --- not exactly Christmas on the ship, but rather Christmas in the air, & then likely exhausted back home! Don't know if there will be family around when I return, but at least I'll have my cat to welcome me home! Just will need to plan ahead to have some food to eat, after all the good cruise food, & no stores open on the 25th! My cruise is 16 days, so I hope to meet others, & enjoy the journey as another new experience.

Faith, I hope you make it to many on your list of dream trips. I did SA in '09 (LA to Rio, 30 days), & it was absolutely wonderful! It sounds like you did the smart thing in booking your holiday trip, Cherylroslyn, & am wishing you a wonderful trip!

Have a great time on your cruise and thank you!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually WANT to do Christmas or NYs alone this year. The problem is I'm on a budget and I started looking too late so I can't find what I'm looking for in my price range and it's too close to sail date to do a payment plan. I'm checking regularly for a deal. . .I say go for it!!!

-------------------

I'm concerned about being overwhelmed with children.

----------

I've been on cruises the last 2 Christmasses and I think I can reassure you. While I wasn't on NCL, I was on Princess and Carnival - and I can't imagine a more likely cruise line for kids than Carnival (two or three floor water slide, etc).

I don't recall any kids in the MDR at traditional dining. I think they all do anytime dining or just hang out at the Pizza and burger places. Further, I didn't see kids much during the day (and evening) , except on waterslides. Those ships had large areas dedicated solely to kids with large staffs to keep them occupied.

Maybe I was lucky twice, but I don't think so.

-------------------

I'm concerned about being overwhelmed with children.

----------

I've been on cruises the last 2 Christmasses and I think I can reassure you. While I wasn't on NCL, I was on Princess and Carnival - and I can't imagine a more likely cruise line for kids than Carnival (two or three floor water slide, etc).

I don't recall any kids in the MDR at traditional dining. I think they all do anytime dining or just hang out at the Pizza and burger places. Further, I didn't see kids much during the day (and evening) , except on waterslides. Those ships had large areas dedicated solely to kids with large staffs to keep them occupied.

Maybe I was lucky twice, but I don't think so.

Room service is another option to avoid families on Christmas day. I didn't do enough of that on my last cruise. :p

Archived