Is the specialty restaraunts really worth it?

powoct95

Having been on SS United on X Infinity, I would have to say it is not worth it.

My main problem with the steak house on Carnival is lack of attention to detail (which I think a problem demonstrated in all aspects of Carnival's cruises). On Carnival the service is not polished (the side dishes arrive much later than the main dish - so you either eat your steak without the side dish or let your steak to cool).

I did not think the ambiance on on Spirit's steakhouse was that great - dark room with constantly shaking floor (design issue).

Plus it is just a steak house. I've been to Morton's and Ruth Chris - there is nothing new here. The meal is just not that memorable.

However, our meal on SS United was very memorable. Not the best of my life (that would be a french restaurant in Napa Valley when upon getting a first taste of my dessert I cried very loudly "OMG"), but still very very good.

That being said, the meal at the steak house will be much better than the one you get in MDR.

OK, you had bad service on the SS United and X Finity. The OP was asking about a Carnival line ship, t wit the Glory. You are comparing eating at Mc Dondalds to a fine steak house somewhere. Why?

Have you cruised Carnival? Have you eaten in a Carnival specialty restraunt or Steakhouse. If Yes, what was your relavent experience. If not, your post though relavent to cruisers on SS United and X Finity, has no bearing to a Carnival cruiser...

We personally didn't like it. It seemed like every time we put a fork with food on it in our mouths, there was somebody there asking how we were enjoying what we were trying to eat.

The server would bring out something that the chef had conjured up and wanted us to try. Before we had swallowed, there they were again, asking how we enjoyed it. One thing was on a big bent serving spoon. We looked at it and wondered how in the heck we were even suppose to eat it and what in the heck it even was.

If you're strictly meat and potatoes people, it's not worth it. The night we went, there was no ambiance. The drapes were all closed, no music, lots of people talking real loud. For us...no thanks. We'll stick to the MDR.

OK, you had bad service on the SS United and X Finity. The OP was asking about a Carnival line ship, t wit the Glory. You are comparing eating at Mc Dondalds to a fine steak house somewhere. Why?

Have you cruised Carnival? Have you eaten in a Carnival specialty restraunt or Steakhouse. If Yes, what was your relavent experience. If not, your post though relavent to cruisers on SS United and X Finity, has no bearing to a Carnival cruiser...

Are we reading the same post? I said that I had wonderful experience on X, but ordinary experience on Carnival. I never mentioned McDonalds in my review and I specifically mention Carnival's steakhouse when I talk about problems and compare it to SS United.

P.S. Paying attention to detail is a good virtue. Carnival lacks and so do some posters :(.

Are we reading the same post? I said that I had wonderful experience on X, but ordinary experience on Carnival. I never mentioned McDonalds in my review and I specifically mention Carnival's steakhouse when I talk about problems and compare it to SS United.

P.S. Paying attention to detail is a good virtue. Carnival lacks and so do some posters :(.

Sorry but I also misread your original post .:oAnd yes you are right, Paying attention to detail is a virtue.

Sorry; As I read over it, it sounded lik ea generalization about the service. I DID MISS your reference to the Spirit. Is it possible that is was darker than the MDR for the effect? I have not been on the Spirit, but you have.

When you say "Lack of attention", and that being "Carnival's overall problem", could it be you are a more high end cruiser, as opposed to and economy cruiser? Carnival does not try to be the same as the QE II or their type of cruise.

Our two experiences on Carnival, as well as MOST that I have read over the last 5 years, was wonderful. Again, all these are just individual opinions.

Again. sorry I did miss you naming the Spirit.

My husband and I will be on the Glory in less than a week, and we have been contemplating going to the Emerald Rest, but just aren't sure. We have 3 children and this will be our first vacation without them, in many years. We just aren't sure if these restaraunts are worth it. What do you think? Also, what is the dress attire for the specialty restaraunts?

Absolutely worth it :)

Having been on SS United on X Infinity, I would have to say it is not worth it.

My main problem with the steak house on Carnival is lack of attention to detail (which I think a problem demonstrated in all aspects of Carnival's cruises). On Carnival the service is not polished (the side dishes arrive much later than the main dish - so you either eat your steak without the side dish or let your steak to cool).

I did not think the ambiance on on Spirit's steakhouse was that great - dark room with constantly shaking floor (design issue).

Plus it is just a steak house. I've been to Morton's and Ruth Chris - there is nothing new here. The meal is just not that memorable.

However, our meal on SS United was very memorable. Not the best of my life (that would be a french restaurant in Napa Valley when upon getting a first taste of my dessert I cried very loudly "OMG"), but still very very good.

That being said, the meal at the steak house will be much better than the one you get in MDR.

While I agree that my meal and service on Celebrity Infinity in the SS United States was definitely superior to CCL's steak house, CCL's steak house is still worth the extra $30. And since the OP is asking about Carnival, we should just stick with that. ;)

Archived