Santa Marta Colombia? Have you been there?

nachoge

Hello I will be going to Santa Marta, Colombia next Oct. I was wondering if anyone have been there. I would like to hear your suggestions on what to do, not to do. If you recommend a ship tour or arrange with any of the local vendors if any around.

Is it safe to walk around?

Thank you

We love Santa Marta. There are lots of options depending on what you are into. I've been there for several land vacations for multiple days at a time and once on a cruise for a day. I've read some warning on here about danger in Santa Marta but have never experienced it. Just be street smart and keep valuables out of site and you should be able to walk around a bit. The Gold Museum isn't far from port and is free. Most tours stop there also. The beach by the port isn't very nice but is normally busy with the locals. Let me know more of what exactly you are looking for (museums, diving, nice beach, etc) and I'll try to give you better tips.

• 2 weeks later...
We love Santa Marta. There are lots of options depending on what you are into. I've been there for several land vacations for multiple days at a time and once on a cruise for a day. I've read some warning on here about danger in Santa Marta but have never experienced it. Just be street smart and keep valuables out of site and you should be able to walk around a bit. The Gold Museum isn't far from port and is free. Most tours stop there also. The beach by the port isn't very nice but is normally busy with the locals. Let me know more of what exactly you are looking for (museums, diving, nice beach, etc) and I'll try to give you better tips.

Thanks...a nice beach would be nice and if you can take local transportation...is that safe? and reliable? We don't like museums or seeing churches...can you suggest anything else?

Thanks

Beaches are hideous, dark "sand", dirty and polluted in Cartagena and Santa Marta. I would save your beach time for a place like Aruba (I assume you are also going there).

Tayrona National Park is an excursion that can be done from Santa Marta -- it's a fascinating place.

Or go to the Rodadero "beach" area because that is the most developed area -- you can even buy a day pass at one of the hotels.

But don't expect beaches like in other parts of the Caribbean (Aruba) -- because you will be very disappointed.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your info. I am interested on things to do and see. It could be scenic, is there something within walking distance from the pier?

Maybe a museum, I ve heard that there is a state where Simon Bolivar passed away and heard it is quite interesting.

What do you suggest to do if you are on cruise and only have some hours.

Thank you

Archived