Scrapbooking . How does it work?

kasi1979

Hello,

we are cruising onboard Mariner ots in 3 weeks.

I´m a photography enthusiast that also love creating photobooks.

I´ve heard that RCCL offers Scrapbooking classes onboard.

Does anyone know, when these are likely to be held?

How much do the scrapbooking kits cost?

What doe they contain?

Thanks.

I did scrapbooking on Legend two years ago and it wasn't really a class. We were given our choice of colored 8 1/2 by 11 paper and a choice of one of two di cut "kits" (a word and a couple of shapes - I had vacation and a palm tree and beach chair). A large bin of scrap papers was put out as well a several paper punches and shaped scissors. We got a glue stick and 30 minutes to do we wanted.

I also did the "watercolor class" - the activity staff person running it gave us some watercolor pencils and and what was basically a coloring book picture on thicker paper. She then went on to clean out supplies in the closet. Watercolor pencils are great, if you know how to use them - which nobody did. I wouldn't call these classes so much as activities.

The classes were free and scrapbooking was probably offered 3 or 4 times on a 12 night cruise (during at sea days).

i did scrapbooking in november on serenade and in feb on voyager- i agree it

isn't a class it is more an activity- on the first day they give you a free packect with a few sheets of paper. they do sell other packets that have

more items for 9.99. there is an instructor available to give you suggestions

and the passengers tend to help each other. they do have sissors and glue

and plain paper and crimpers for you to use.

DW says:

I did the scrapbooking 'classes' in February on Rhapsody. The instructor didn't really know much about scrapbooking but did show a couple of different techniques I hadn't used before and I've been scrapbooking for about 14 years. As others have said, its not really a class. It is very basic and really just an introduction to scrapbooking.

I think it was on 3 or 4 times on our 12 night cruise.

We got a kit the first time with 4 sheets of paper, a title, stickers and some rhinestones in it. After that you could buy kits specially designed for Royal Caribbean by 'Me and My Big Ideas'. I thought these kits were really good value ... not that I have used them yet! And once I had bought a kit I could go back when scrapbooking was on and get another free kit (different to the others).

I paid $9.99 for a kit (with 12 papers, titles, stickers, chipboard embellishments and rhinestones and also $14.99 for a kit that had three different themes (traveler, nautical, formal). Each theme has 4 papers, a sheet of stickers and 2 sheets of chipboard embellishments. Definitely worth what I paid!

It's difficult to scrapbook without photos so I went to get the kits for when I get around to scrapbooking the photos we took.

I've also learned that the presenter is given a free cruise for doing these craft demonstrations!

DW says:

Rhapsody's scrapbooking instructor was part of the ships rec team and also did the jewellery making classes.

The 'Arts and Crafts' instructors on the same cruise were asked by RCI to do the classes. They said they go on cruises to instruct, work through an agency and barter - they provide all the materials and get the cruise for nothing. Mind you, they were American and had to pay their own flights to Sydney, Australia to board the cruise.

I was on explorer last week and took my two granddaughters to the scrapbooking class. It was a real joke Two RC employees just handed out paper lined up glue paper punchers and just sat there chatting with each other they even sent people away because they where over the age limit this was when no one could go out on deck with high wind and waves unbelieveable

I went to a scrapbooking clas with adventure and I have to agree that it's not a class..it's more of an activity. The lady just handed out an 8 1/2 x 11 paper and then gave us some scissors and glustick. She then had a box with scraps, a couple of markers and a crimper. She then told us that once we were done with our page we could leave. Meanwhille she sat there and chatted with another lady.

I did buy a kit and scrapbook album in the photgraphy area when we went to go look at some pictures that we had taken.

The scrapbooking classes are not for everyone. They have pre-requisites.

Before you can sign up for scrapbooking, you have to have completed the following courses:

SCI101 - Introduction to scissors. Basic scissor handling will be demonstrated. Safety procedures and features will be discussed.

SCI204 - Cutting Techniques. After taking SCI101, now you're ready to start cutting. We'll start with straight lines, then progress towards gentle curves.

SCI215 - Advanced cutting. Sharp curves and corners.

TAP101 - Intro to Scotch tape. We'll show you how to begin using Scotch tape. Safety procedures will be discussed (Requires safety goggles)

TAP210 - Advanced Scotch Tape. Advanced techniques, including what to do when the tape sticks to itself on the roll.

FOL101 - Introduction to folding.

SCP101 - Introduction to scrapbooking. This is a historical look at scrapbooking, and will prepare you for the practitioner's scrapbooking course.

Note that transfer credits may be accepted, but you must apply in advance. Transcripts will be required.

My daughter and I went to all the scrapbooking classes. On Aos they were part class part workshop. Each session did have the instructor teach us a "technique" to put into our scrapbooks. It was cool. The first day a kit was provided for free. On subsequent days they provided elaborate kits for 10.00. We bought one to share. After doing the technique provided, we worked on our pages...hence the workshop. We liked it and had a nice time. By the way, I should mention we were on a 14 day transatlantic...so we had a lot of time on our crusie to do everything we wanted. We did not feel this was a waste of time in the least...we looked forward to it...as well as the jewelry making classes.

The scrapbooking class is indeed more of a workshop. But it's nice, they show you examples and you can exchange ideas with your fellow scrapbookers.

The kits they sell are good value (papers, stickers, rhinestones etc...)

They are usually held on sea days.

Archived