Important Note concerning traveling with non-immediate family minors

mysparky

We are just off of the Allure where I traveled with my daughter, my parents, and my niece. At check-in, I was asked for a letter from my husband authorizing me to travel alone out of the country with my daughter and we were also asked for the letter that allowed my niece to travel with us. We were asked for the letter again when we registered my niece for Adventure Ocean.

We read conflicting reports on these boards about whether these letters were needed or not. Thankfully, we opted to be on the safe side and have them. Otherwise, the check-in agent told us that we would have been denied boarding if we didn't have them.

[quote name='KreiderCarter']wcook

I believe the original poster meant for this to be an educational post, not a bashing thread of RCCL, CBP, etc. Hopefully others reading it will learn from this person's experience.[/quote]

Kreider - I'm the original poster and you are exactly right! My intention was to provide experience/education. There are a lot of posts on these boards regarding proper documentation and I wanted to alert folks to get it, keep it on-hand, and be prepared to show it again at disembarkation.

Regardless of whether or not RCCL should have kept our original 2 copies, regardless of whether or not CBP was overzealous/out of line, point is that this was a situation that could have been avoided if we had our paperwork.

[quote name='KreiderCarter']wcook

Do you have a copy of the CBP Officers's job duties? No, well I didn't think there were actual facts to support your statement earlier. [/quote]

I don't have a printed copy. But on that internet thing, the CBP has a website which clearly outlines their roles and duties. And in this case, either the agent is a total moron, or has gone far beyond their duties.

[quote] I believe the original poster meant for this to be an educational post, not a bashing thread of RCCL, CBP, etc. Hopefully others reading it will learn from this person's experience.[/QUOTE] Yes, it's a very educational posts, and I'm glad for it.

Thank you mysparky for posting your experience, I will definitely keep the letter available for disembarkation on future cruises.

We always take our (now 13) grandson on cruises with us, and have only been asked for the notorized letter at check-in once. I still get a new one from my daughter every time though just in case.

A few years ago we cruised to Canada and were questioned when trying to reboard the ship with him in Canada, but the agents let us after asking him a few questions. I assume this is because of the different last names. However, on our cruise to Canada last month we were not stopped when reboarding.

The one thing I noticed that was different on this most recent cruise was that every time we exited the ship to go to port, the RCCL staff asked him who he was leaving with. I guess they don't want 13 yo boys going into port by themselves, not that we'd let him but he is at the age where he thinks he looks older and it bothered him that they always asked cause they knew he was young.

[SIZE=3]My daughters and I go on "girl's trips" all the time. We have never been asked for a letter from their dad (we are still married). I would be furious if asked for a letter to allow me to take my own child on vacation. That is absurd!!! They need to get a grip - really! I don't think exspensive cruises are the vehicle that child abductor's would normally use to smuggle children into the country. On a closed loop cruise! Insane.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]E-Beth[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kycruisefan']Okay, maybe dumb question, but for a cruise, what do you put as the destination in the letter above if you are stopping at several ports?[/quote]

I just put the general cruising itinerary, e.g. "Western Caribbean." Haven't had a problem yet.

[quote name='dachshunddoglover'][SIZE=3]My daughters and I go on "girl's trips" all the time. We have never been asked for a letter from their dad (we are still married). I would be furious if asked for a letter to allow me to take my own child on vacation. That is absurd!!! They need to get a grip - really! I don't think exspensive cruises are the vehicle that child abductor's would normally use to smuggle children into the country. On a closed loop cruise! Insane.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]E-Beth[/SIZE][/quote]

I completely agree with you. It's absurd to think that one should need "permission" to take one's own child on vacation. But, in the spirit of playing devil's advocate . . . you may be furious to be asked for a permission letter, but I'll bet you'd also be furious if you didn't have one, and were denied boarding and missed your cruise.

My take on silly laws is, work to get them changed. But while they're still in force, obey them. (Note that I said "silly" laws; not at all to be confused with "immoral" or "unjust" laws.)

[SIZE=2]This is exactly what it says on the RCI website:

[/SIZE][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][I]Family Legal Documents[/I][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE=3][I]Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) [B][U]and[/B][/I][/SIZE][/U][I][SIZE=3] the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Different Surnames (Last Names):
If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an [U]original[/U] notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[/I][/FONT][SIZE=2]My question is, if this is what they say they require, then how can they demand something else/something more at check in?? It is RCI checking you in, not Customs, and I don't see how they can say anything -- much less deny you boarding -- when you present the exact documentation they themselves have stated is required. According to the above, you don't even need both parents' notarized authorization when the child isn't even yours... So why would they need more when the child *is* yours, you both have passports, have the same last names, etc.?

[/SIZE]

• 7 months later...
I know this is an old thread, but I'm really curious about this one...

I'm a single parent, just finished our 9th cruise, never asked for paperwork... went through the hassle of getting sole custody (father unable to be found) a few years ago, so I always carry my "ownership" papers, just in case.

DD is half Canadian, so we would really love to take a trip to Canada. I've put it off, because, since her father is the Canadian, the last thing I want is a headache at the border... and me not being able to bring her back... do you think court issued custody papers would be enough to eliminate any problems?

[quote name='njmomof2']We just returned from a closed loop cruise from NYC to Canada. Now Canada is notorious for requiring proof of knowledge by a non present parent if only one parent is travelling with children. We've had this happen several times at the Canadian border crossing up in Niagara Falls.

I had my husband sign a letter indicating his awareness of our trip and had it notarized. Had it with me in my folder, along with our passports and cruise documents. No one at check in asked for it. And I never was asked for it, not when we docked in Canada, not when we came home.

I will continue to have a new one prepared whenever the boys and I travel alone, but to date, I have only been asked for it once....and that was crossing the border into Canada as mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

I will only say that Canada is much stricter on one parent traveling with kids, so I would do the research .

I have had friends sent back to the UK , when they arrived in Canada without a letter, from the ex wife/mother.

I am Canadian and travel with my kids alone often, and never been asked for a letter going into the US, but I have been asked for it several times returning to Canada.

[quote name='DragonMouse']I always worry about this. I have a passport my 15 year son has a passport and all the information should be contained in there BUT...now my last name is different because I remarried (I've been told I'm supposed to bring "something" showing my old last name). My first husband is deceased and I'm the sole parent. It's so exhausting have to bring all sorts of documentation to attempt to PROVE he's my son and I can take him where I want to. [B]It's so sad where this world has gone.[/B]:([/quote]

No, it's so sad where North America has gone.

My daughter-in-law never changed her name on marriage. She kept her maiden name, because all her professional qualifications and certificates are in that name.

Out 2 grand-daughters have their father's surname. So, when they travel as a family, they go as Mr C, Miss C, Miss C, and Mrs H.

Our DIL has flown with one daughter (as Mrs H and Miss C) 3 times from the UK to Australia and New Zealand and back to the UK. Our son has flown the same route with one daughter.

No-one has ever queried the right of either parent to travel with their child, with or without the other parent. (Not being from the USA, naturally both children have passports. In fact, having dual nationality, they each have 2 passports.)

I have advised them that they will need letters of consent to travel with their children, if they ever go to North America, or if they take them on a cruise.

Ok, I have 2 questions here...one I didn't think of until today...
I have 2 18 year old daughters who do not have the same last name as me...are they minors at 18?

and my second question is a little more confusing...my niece is travelling with us. She is a minor. I will have her passport with me and the notarized letter (after this thread [U][B]2[/B][/U] notarized letters) but her father has passed away and her mom (my sister) has a different last name than my niece. What kind of documentation should I have to connect them? Should I bring her birth certificate with her notarized letters and Passport?

Katie

thank for sharing , similar happened to us but it was on celebrity - alaska cruise , my DD had dif. last name on her passport so I have to prove that she is my daughter by showing her birthcirtificate....i always carried them both, just incase i will run to this and i did.....also a nother close called on RCI on southern caribbean our of san juan too... that time they just looked at birth cirtificate and took it to see his superviser .... thought it would be an issue, but nothing....good luck that time....

but didn't run any issue on comming back, accept one time the agent asked her if i was her mother.....she was hebind me.....(well she also looked like me that helped too)

Archived