Mobile Cruise Ship

leedm

I would love to know this as well. I did an internet search, but so far the only thing I found was a newscast video about Carnivals plans to pull out of Mobile, and the mayor wanting to renegotiate or try to find another line to sail from Mobile, but that was a few months ago and I haven't heard anything since then. I hope somebody takes the mobile port. It is very convienient.

Nothing is coming to Mobile to replace Elation. There was most certainly some behind the scenes issues that the public will never be aware of. Some of Carnival's reasoning sounds nebulous to many folks, but it's their ship and Mobile neglected to renew a current, ironclad contract with the cruise line. Oops!!

Carnival's party line is the ports were not profitable enough.
And they really do not need any more reason than that. If it's good for Carnival's bottom line, then it's fine with me.

Mobile's mayor went to Miami to talk to other cruise lines. That was at least a month ago, maybe a little longer, nothing has been said since his return.

I think that RCCL said they had no current plans to put a ship in Mobile. Mobile has a small turning basin so the large ships won't fit. I am not sure if a Spirit class will fit.

I do agree with all the ships in NOLA, I think the fares could go down. I also think we will never know the full story of why Carnival pulled out. At this point it doesn't matter, they are not going to change their minds.

I guess if there was another hurricane in the Gulf they could use Mobile as a backup port.

What Carnival told the mayor. http://blog.al.com/live/2011/04/carnival_officials_tell_sam_jo.html

Now, after you read this, and assuming you are the least bit familiar with cruise fares and the costs of cruising from both of these ports. you must conclude that Carnival is attempting to blow smoke up the mayor's butt! The real reason for Carnival's move is quite likely rooted in politics.

As to a replacement ship, the city has been courting RCCI and NCL, but there are currently no commitments.

Edited by Cruzman

And they really do not need any more reason than that. If it's good for Carnival's bottom line, then it's fine with me.

But if it were true, why did Carnival loan the Port of San Diego the money to improve facilities and then yank the ship? My TA friends tell me the ship sailed full all the time.

Of course if Carnival would quit believing the overhyped media about safety issues in Mexico, it would help also. They shoot themselves in the foot when they cancel ports due to a non-event.

It is a shame that this cruise terminal is going to be a "White Elephant". Part of my pension money is tied up in that port since the Retirement Systems of Alabama loaned it millions of dollars.

I really enjoyed my first Carnival cruise from this port last May. I also cruise out of N.O which a cruise coming in Oct. I believe that N.O is going to have a parking issue due to these extra boats.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they find a solution as Mobile is a lot easier drive for me. Mobile does get cruise ships when they go into dry dock. In fact the NCl Spirit will be there at the end of Sept when it goes into drydock for about 2 weeks.

Part of my pension money is tied up in that port since the Retirement Systems of Alabama loaned it millions of dollars.

The city of Mobile bought out the remainder of the loan a couple of years ago. RSA is in the clear now. They do still own the rest of downtown Mobile, though!! :)

Cruised out of mobile in May and found it easier to get to than N.O. Have cruised out of N.O about 3 times but am starting to get worried about parking issues. N.O is going to get the Elation along with the Conquest. They also have NCL Spirit and soon RCI Voyager of The Seas. How are they can handle all this extra traffic.

I keep my fingers crossed that Mobile gets a boat. Mobile is only 350 miles North of me and very easy to get to on I65.

I cruised on the Elation out of Mobile Sept. 1. The liquor store was almost sold out of liquor on the last day of the cruise so I know they had to be making a profit on bottles of booze. The gift shop also sold out on several items. Plenty of people drinking at the bars.

So I don't see how carnival can say this ship isn't making a profit.

I paid as much or more to sail out Mobile than I have to sail out of Jacksonville and Tampa on other Fantasy class ships. So I do believe Carnival is not being completely honest on why they are pulling out of Mobile.

Also Mobiles port is nicer than a lot of their other ports. I have never had any issues getting in or out of Mobile.

I certainly hope Mobile will be able to get RCCL or NCL to put one of their smaller ships in the port of Mobile. I love cruise only 5 hours from my home.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading on another post that RCCL has said that Freedom of the sea would stay in PC Fla. but they would not comment past April 2012 what they where going to do with the Monarch of the sea.

We should start a petition to bring the Monarch to Mobile, Alabama.(LOL) It would be a great fit for our port and a nice upgrade to.

Paul

In Nov.2011, NOLA will have 2 CCL ships, NCL 1, and RCL 1. I don't think they will all sail full. CCL might find that moving the Elation from Mobile to NOLA was not such a good idea after all. Just my thoughts:o

I believe the Elation is going to NOL only to replace another ship. I believe Port Canaveral is actually the port getting an additional ship???

NOLA will have CCL Conquest and the CCL Elation so they are gaining a extra CCL ship in November. And RCCL Voyager OT Sea also NCL Spirit is sailing out of NOLA in Nov.

Paul

Actually, Elation is replacing Ecstasy which just started sailing from NOLA last week. Ecstasy will move to PC, so yes, PC is the one gaining a ship as hawaiibound stated.

Right now NOLA only has 1 ship the Ecstasy it replaced the Truimph that just left for dry dock and starting in November the Conquest and Elation will both be sailing out of NOLA. So it looks like PC and NOLA will both gain a ship best that I can tell.

Paul

• 3 years later...

Update!!

UPDATE:

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson says the city is in final contract negotiations with Carnival Cruise Lines.

"It's time to invite the world to enjoy our great city," Stimpson said.

Stimpson made the announcement at Mobile Regional Airport as he returned from Miami to meet with Carnival executives.

"Carnival knows more about the Mobile market than anyone else," Stimpson said. "They had a great experience with the team in charge of the terminal."

No details have been released. Stimpson says Carnival will announce the name of the boat, schedule and when it will arrive.

Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson says the city is in final contract negotiations with Carnival Cruise Lines.

"It's time to invite the world to enjoy our great city," Stimpson said.

Stimpson made the announcement at Mobile Regional Airport as he returned from Miami to meet with Carnival executives.

"Carnival knows more about the Mobile market than anyone else," Stimpson said. "They had a great experience with the team in charge of the terminal."

No details have been released. Stimpson says Carnival will announce the name of the boat, schedule and when it will arrive.