Cruise Director David Shermet

TampaMike

I am trying to contact CD David Shermet. Last I had read, he is now with Oceania. We are former shipmates from Celebrity Cruises a decade ago, and I have lost touch with him.

If anyone knows of a contact address to David, or is sailing with him who could pass on my contact info, I'd be graetly appreciative. Email me via this board if you prefer.

Happy Sailing!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Steve was the CD on our Oceania Regatta cruise last June. I know that he is still with Oceania and may be on the Insignia. If you locate him, please post. Lots of us on the Regatta really loved him as a cruise director.

Joan

• 1 month later...

Just got off the Regatta yesterday. David Shermet is still CD on it. Seemed like a pretty boring and aloof guy. He bragged about how much he loved to talk about sports and wanted people to talk to him about sports. Funny thing is, I was standing at the reception desk one day last week, a guy walks up to him with an engaging sports conversation and he just walked away from the guy. Maybe he's just been on there too long. I think that job has to get to you after awhile. Maybe that's why they have six-month contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

We got off the Regatta yesterday, May 23. David is terrific. In my opinion, David was far from aloof. He is very personable and always willing to take time to talk to passengers.

Joan

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike,

I noticed that you were a CD on Royal Cruise Line.

My family sailed with RCL for MANY years on the Golden, Crown, and Royal.

Captain Psarakis was a very good friend of mine and we know tons of people from RCL.

I'm sure we know some people in common.

What ship were you on? What years were you on? I would look forward to hearing about your RCL days.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

I was at RCL around 96-98 after leaving Celebrity (where David Shermet was my ACD on the Horizon).

1st on was on the Star Odyssey, then a short time on the Queen Odyssey with Captain Tzanis (who I worked with aboard Premier's Ocenaic & Royale) and finally on the Crown Odyssey with Captain Psarakis. Emanuel Psarakis was extroadinary. With the difficult times Kloster/NCL was putting Royal through, I admired how firm he stood for the RCL staff & crew. I respect him immensly and sorry I have lost contact with him. I was the last RCL CD on the Crown. When I left for vacation (with no intent to return) Kloster brought on a CD from NCL with intention of moving the Crown into the NCL fleet. It was a pity what turmoil the Kloster management put the RCL crew through ...and the passengers! There were rebellions by passengers and strikes by crew. Fernando had moved on, as did Alan.

It was difficult to see the beloved RCL product killed off. I was alarmed how NCL hotel managers and shoreside management dismissed the charm of RCL as 'boring' and that a library had no use onboard...it would make a great TShirt shoppe. They did not understand the olde guard style of cruising nor respect the fierce loyalty of RCL repeat clientel. Kloster drained all resources from RCL and in turn blamed RCLs demise on poor management (and who was that!) In many ways, I referred to RCL as a greek HAL. Thankfully HAL still maintains some traditional flavor in cruising.

I am grateful to see the Crown joining the Star again under Fred Olsen. They are wonderful ships that need to be appreciated by both the clientel and the management.

Hi TampaMike,

My husband and I had eleven wonderful voyages on Royal Cruise Line over the years and were on the Royal in Asia when the ship was sold. New management was aboard and the ship's morale was so low. We said goodbye to so many "friends" who worked for RCL. We have followed the progression of the Crown with sorrow (it was our favorite out of all our 25 cruises). I, too, was happy to hear that it would go to Fred Olson. We never cruised it while it was NCL as they made so many changes and changed it from a luxury ship.

I'm sure our paths must have crossed while you were with RCL. Do you know if Alan is still working the ships. My husband loved to kid around with him.

Sheila

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I had written you a bit ago in regard to my many years of sailing on Royal Cruise Line.

It seems we have a friend in Captain Emanual.

I meant to ask you if you knew Nela Salanitro. I met Nela on the Golden in the Wooden Horse bar and we simply connected. We became like Mother and daughter and I visited her frequently in NY state. She was two hours from me. I had many years with her and she was more than "like" a Mother to me. I lost her this past Christmas Eve night. However, as sad as that is I had the honor of being with her when she died and spending some days with her before that...

Sorry, went on a bit....I just thought you might know Nela she was a constant cruiser.

All the best,

Bonnie

We had David on Nautica in late July/early August and he can be "subdued" at times. As for liking sports, as I recall he is an ex baseball player--from So Cal, I believe--so one can understand why he would enjoy talking about sports. BTW, one of the best cruise directors we have ever had is Colin Brown (who plays a mean, classical piano) on Silver Shadow. Of course, there's not much cruise directing to do aboard a small ship with 370 pax, so maybe that's why he can be such a neat guy.:)

Archived