May have been asked, but what happens if

nugsmom

Cruising from Baltimore to Bermuda in October on the Pride. I know it is during hurricane season. I know in the Caribbean the ship just changes iteniaries and takes you away from the bad weather. Don't know any other place to go in our case. So...what does happen if there is a hurricane and the ship can't go to Bermuda? Just wondering.....

The captain will try to sail you out of the worst of it, but the seas may still be terrible and rocky. On the cruise I took my parents on for their 50th anniversary, we went through a tropical storm. The captain announced he was altering the course to take us out of the storm, but I don't think he was able to. It was so bad the MDR was closed, balcony locked & some decks closed. Many of the crew were sick. Good news was, it was only miserable for one day.

If you miss your port, you will either stop at a different one or have a sea day. I posted not to say don't sail during this time, but because I don't think you can count on the captain being able to sail you out of bad weather.

They will change itinerary to avoid storm so one cannot count on the itinerary you pick during hurricane season.

We are on Miracle to Bermuda Sept 11 and there is a storm that might hit Bermuda so who knows where we will go if that happens.

Thanks. I was just wondering what iteniaries were anywhere near enough to get to. Certainly not as easy as in the Caribbean. Port Canaveral would really be bad....but we have cruised during hurricane season before, just always in the Caribbean. We will just go with the flow and enjoy wherever we go!

really depends on the tract.

small and far enough out, you might be able to squeeze through and get to florida or the bahamas.

wide enough, and you might head north to halifax.

it's also possible that you just get cut to 1 day in bermuda and the rest at sea.

personally, i just don't schedule destination cruises in sept, cause i would not want to substitute bermuda with anything.

we also do it in late july or early august, and have to do it on other lines as carnival no longer has the clout to go there in peak season.

Archived