Oriana info please

dianemh

we are on oriana on the 27th sept, for 35 nights.. just assigned our cabin E169, we opted for inside because it was 300 more each for an outside, and apparently exactly the same cabin except for window.. this looks to be an ok cabin close to mid ship and a lower deck, so better in rough seas, i think. Has anyone stayed in this or similar cabin???

Also, does anyone know if you can buy menthol smokes on board?? we were on aurora in may and could only get them from 1 bar..

Oriana looks to be very similar to Aurora, are there many differences between the two??

This is our first long cruise, because it is so long are there likely to be any differences to usual 1 or 2 wks ones? like more classes etc??

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Hi

I have lots of photos of Oriana in one of my albums, here is the link just click it;

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Oriana23May2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqh5Ye3pN7sEQ#5342461528464515826

She is a lovely ship with a very nice cinema onboard called Chaplins, and yes is a bit like Aurora. Soon to be child-free too a short while after your cruise...

Have a great time.:)

Oriana is very simliar to Aurora except there is no sliding roof over the pool and no Cafe Bordeaux. However, still a very nice ship and still holds the Golden Cockerel for the fastest P&O ship.

As it is a direct drive, not electric like Aurora, you do get some vibration at the rear at certain propellor speeds.

Lots of photos and info on this website.

http://www.beyondships.com/PO-Oriana-Profile.html

Brian

We started our cruiseing life with inside cabins and they are the same size or some are larger than an outside cabin. Low down is better if you are in rough weather. Put the TV on the web cam view to see outside which is as good as a window....

For light breakfast and meals during the day Al Fresco is a great little place to pop into.. its up next door to the gym. ALso the SPA IS FREE you can use the jacuzies and steam room and sauna for free, there is also a good indoor seating area.. check in a the salon desk for a locker key.

Light lunchs are available in Tiffineys bar not many people use it lunch time and for bar snack type lunches.. again its under used.

The Cinama has the most comfy seats... bet you fall asleep !!!

For a late evening drink go to the Terrace Bar.. up outside the Conservatory sitting up there around 5pm etc when the ship empties is great the best view on the ship.. who needs a balcony?

We have cruised in a similar cabin onboard Oriana and were very happy with it. The beds are normally on the far wall and having them in a twin configuration gives you much more space. There is usually a nice little corner sofa too.

It looks a good position as it is low down and fairly midships so if you are unlucky to get some rough seas, it will be fairly stable. You should not experience any vibration either as that is only really apparent at the aft of the ship.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Personally I prefer Oriana to Aurora - just! But then I'm not a fan of magradomes. She is a beautful ship, with lots of long promenades to walk along if the weather is iffy outside, and loads of open deck space - with proper teak decking. Aside from the magradome I guess the biggest difference is the atrium. The theatre is wonderful - every seat has individual aircon from the back of the seat in front.

Slightly more storage space in Oriana cabins as I recall - with three small drawers beside the TV.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of booking the Brisbane to Southampton cruise in Feb.2012 and would like an honest assessment of the Oriana. We have also been offered a cabin on Deck F , Midship and would like an opinion on that as well.

Thanks,

SAZ

Hi

Just got back on the 4th sept still catching up on sleep cabin F229 UNDER A GALLEY OPPOSITE VERY BUSY STAFF DOOR .avoid any where near by! know ships can be noisy but there was banging clanging trolleys being moved all night long even with earplugs most disturbing. husband and son can usually sleep through any thing storms babies but even they woke several times a night mot unnacceptable just got fobbed off when we complained

good luck

Lucy

We have stayed on F deck a few times and found it very quiet and easy to access other areas of the ship. F229 is under the restaurant so dont know where the noise would come from. However we stayed in the end rear one on Aurora and it was quite noisy as near the engine room. The second one in form the rear was OK.

Brian

• 8 months later...
Hi

Just got back on the 4th sept still catching up on sleep cabin F229 UNDER A GALLEY OPPOSITE VERY BUSY STAFF DOOR .avoid any where near by! know ships can be noisy but there was banging clanging trolleys being moved all night long even with earplugs most disturbing. husband and son can usually sleep through any thing storms babies but even they woke several times a night mot unnacceptable just got fobbed off when we complained

good luck

Lucy

Oh great :( I was really looking forward to only our second trip ever and (first in 5 years) minus the kids on our 3 nighter next Friday and we're in F229!!! We can sleep through most thinigs too so hopefully we won't find it too bad but if the crew make a lot of noise (never experienced it in public areas only in the Ward room parties on Canberra lol) I shall be camping out at the Purser's desk!!

Archived