Weather update from NCL on Facebook

russianmom

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Katia and Tropical Depression Thirteen.

The following is an update on our ships sailing in these areas this weekend:

Hurricane Katia

Norwegian Dawn, departing today from Boston, will arrive in Bermuda three hours earlier than scheduled on Sunday. We will be closely monitoring the path of the storm and if any further changes develop, we will notify the guests immediately.

Norwegian Gem, departing on Sunday from New York to Bermuda, is expected to sail as scheduled at this time. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may need to alter its itinerary.

Tropical Depression Thirteen

Norwegian Spirit, departing New Orleans on Sunday, is expected to sail as scheduled at this time. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may need to alter its itinerary.

We will advise our guests if there are any changes to the itineraries as soon as the information becomes available. We will update our website and Facebook page daily throughout the weekend

I just saw this too. We are supposed to fly out of LAX tomorrow to New Orleans and I am very worried that our flight is going to be canceled. Trying to stay calm but it's difficult. We did purchase insurance but we've been planning this cruise for over a year.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Katia and Tropical Depression Thirteen.

The following is an update on our ships sailing in these areas this weekend:

Hurricane Katia

Norwegian Dawn, departing today from Boston, will arrive in Bermuda three hours earlier than scheduled on Sunday. We will be closely monitoring the path of the storm and if any further changes develop, we will notify the guests immediately.

Norwegian Gem, departing on Sunday from New York to Bermuda, is expected to sail as scheduled at this time. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may need to alter its itinerary.

Tropical Depression Thirteen

Norwegian Spirit, departing New Orleans on Sunday, is expected to sail as scheduled at this time. Depending on the path of the storm, the ship may need to alter its itinerary.

We will advise our guests if there are any changes to the itineraries as soon as the information becomes available. We will update our website and Facebook page daily throughout the weekend

It's really pathetic that they updated Facebook before they updated their own website - NCL.com. NCL still has the September 1st update on their website which states no changes.

It's really pathetic that they updated Facebook before they updated their own website - NCL.com. NCL still has the September 1st update on their website which states no changes.

Why do you call it pathetic ?? What order would you assign to the updates ??

The website doesn't say "no changes". It says cruises will depart as scheduled, and the facebook post says the same thing. the only change is to the arrival at destination.

<LI id=alert-29922 class="alert weather">Hurricane Katia

September 1, 2011 | View in full page

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Katia.

At this time, we expect all ships sailing this Friday, Saturday or Sunday to depart as scheduled. We will advise if there are any changes to the itineraries as soon as the information becomes available.

<LI id=alert-29922 class="alert weather">Hurricane Katia

September 1, 2011 | View in full page

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Katia.

At this time, we expect all ships sailing this Friday, Saturday or Sunday to depart as scheduled. We will advise if there are any changes to the itineraries as soon as the information becomes available.

I would definitely do the website first. I would think a healthy number of their paxs would look there first. Maybe I'm wrong - it would be interesting survey question.

Everyone who is booked on NCL has to go to their website for documents, updates, etc. Not everyone even HAS a facebook account, and many who do don't look there for the most accurate and current information.

It's pathetic that NCL doesn't update their OWN website with such vital information, and instead rely on a third-party website completely out of their control.

Everyone who is booked on NCL has to go to their website for documents, updates, etc. Not everyone even HAS a facebook account, and many who do don't look there for the most accurate and current information.

It's pathetic that NCL doesn't update their OWN website with such vital information, and instead rely on a third-party website completely out of their control.

You can call it what you choose, but none of the information in the update is vital to those booked on the cruises involved. The departure times are not changed !!!

You can call it what you choose, but none of the information in the update is vital to those booked on the cruises involved. The departure times are not changed !!!

The information may not be vital to you, but perhaps it is vital to someone who has specific plans while in Bermuda.

Common sense goes a long way, too bad it isn't quite so common anymore.

The information may not be vital to you, but perhaps it is vital to someone who has specific plans while in Bermuda.

Common sense goes a long way, too bad it isn't quite so common anymore.

I would think early arrival would be a plus instead of a "vital" problem.

The second comment it very true from my viewpoint.

It really isn't as much about the departure, for the Dawn, as when they arrive in Bermuda. Since it is arriving 3 hours earlier, the first day can be planned differently. On the other end they may be leaving earlier (if the storm approaches) on Tuesday so plans for that day possibly go from 5 departure to 2 departure. I would want to know that if I was travelling on that cruise.

It really isn't as much about the departure, for the Dawn, as when they arrive in Bermuda. Since it is arriving 3 hours earlier, the first day can be planned differently. On the other end they may be leaving earlier (if the storm approaches) on Tuesday so plans for that day possibly go from 5 departure to 2 departure. I would want to know that if I was travelling on that cruise.

The facebook post only announces early arrival. It doesn't say anything about early departure unless I missed something. Do you have further information?

I would think early arrival would be a plus instead of a "vital" problem.

The second comment it very true from my viewpoint.

I didn't call it a vital problem - I called it VITAL "INFORMATION".

I'm done here - you folks take everything and twist it around in order to argue semantics.

The bottom line is, the FIRST place that NCL should make any official statements or announcements should be on THEIR OFFICIAL WEBSITE.

I'm done here - you folks take everything and twist it around in order to argue semantics.

The bottom line is, the FIRST place that NCL should make any official statements or announcements should be on THEIR OFFICIAL WEBSITE.

Someone should be sure to let them know.

Thanks for the info.

The mistake you made was you implied NCL did something wrong. For some reason certain posters just cannot accept the fact that NCL would make a mistake and when someone points it out they rush in here to disparage the messenger.

You aren't the first to be treated that way and you won't be the last.;)

I agree! I don't use Facebook. Official "announcements" or "statements" "regardless of content" should be posted on the Official Cruise Line sight prior to any third party entity! That's just professional! Besides, what credibility does Facebook have? IMHO

I just saw this too. We are supposed to fly out of LAX tomorrow to New Orleans and I am very worried that our flight is going to be canceled. Trying to stay calm but it's difficult. We did purchase insurance but we've been planning this cruise for over a year.

Then I would try to get out today if it's possible.

This seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for NCL. They post as fast as they can and then get major attitude for the order in which they post the info. There was an hour or so difference between posting on the website and facebook, what's the harm? Anyone that travels during hurricane season should be prepared for weather. It rarely happens, but because of two storms a week apart it seems to be panic time. Right now everything is on schedule, what do you want NCL to do. A one on one phone call to every passenger would take a whole lot of time to just say, everything is the same right now. Rain will not stop the ship, if you can get to the port, you will almost certainly sail.

I imagine they are updating information anywhere they can; maybe one person facilitates their FB while another handles the website. They are also probably busy at work trying to reach those affected by phone. I don't know why everyone needs to argue about where they should post first. Geez.

You didn't do anything wrong....just providing folks valuable information. Some people just feel the need to debate everything.

Oooopps!! Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest....:eek:

I just happen to be looking at FB when I saw that.

I only put that the update was from FB in case anyone was wondering where I got the info:confused:

They were both probably submitted for posting at the same time. It's far easier to make a FB post than to alter a webpage. I would expect a 30 minute delay maybe between the two, as this should be #1 priority for web design staff, but still is a little more cumbersome to update than copying and pasting the info into a FB post or Tweet.

And FB is viral, a webpage is not. A message on FB or Twitter will spread faster than an update on a webpage, which relies upon users to "refresh" and seek out the information. FB posts go to the people. At NCL.com, people have to come to them.

As I said, I think there should be both simulataneously, but understand why a FB post would come out first.

We have a friend on the Norwegian Spirit, due to arrive back in NOLA on Sunday. The ship is either being diverted, they came in early-but we've not heard from him-or they get an extra sea day down south waiting for the landfall to move inland so the ship can dock. So, we're following the storm pretty closely. Our friend was afraid he wouldn't get of Boston because of Hurricane Irene and now he's probably having a somewhat bumpy ride.

The place I got the info for all the updates, is from HERE. I came on this morning and knew that someone must have asked the question about cruise schedules. And, I thought someone might be posting "live" from the ship.

In any event, I know that the passengers, crew and ship will be safe. We were on a ship during Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 and couldn't get back to port for 2 more days because it was closed. We were OK but the folks who had travel, children, work, pet arrangements to change were frantic. I feel for them if the ones on this cruise can't get

back on time. And, I hope for patience for the passengers behind them if their cruise is shortened next week.

Lynne

Everyone sailing next week is probably edgy because of the havoc Irene caused last week. We leave a week from Saturday and we're watching these storms too. We don't have to fly anywhere but, if we did, I'd be anxious too.

Archived