NCL Epic vs Carnival Anything...?

Dr. Zebra

Hello! I'm recently divorced and am looking for my first solo cruise (second cruise overall) this coming January or February.

Going through my options, the 7 day cruises on many of the Carnival ships are pretty much the same price as the 7 day cruises on the NCL Epic even with the solo surcharge (I'm looking at interior rooms here).

I sailed on the Carnival Destiny back in 2009, so I have a pretty good feel for what Carnival is all about and I had a blast with them. Could some of you who have sailed Carnival and sailed the NCL Epic give me any reasons to prefer one or the other?

Mainly, I'm looking to have a good time as a solo cruiser. I'm pretty low key, but I'd also like to socialize a bit, cut loose, and have a great time. I honestly don't care which ports I'm going to - I'll make the best of wherever the boat takes me.

I haved cruised with my family on Carnival and cruised solo on the NCL Epic. The solo lounge [available to studio cabin passengers only] and a specifically designated cruise director, and the studio cabins.............plus the excellent entertainment and specialty restaurants, make the Epic the clear winner IMO. The fact that the studios are sold out for Presidents Week should indicate their popularity, and many passengers are repeat studio guests. Why don't other cruise lines catch on?

• 2 weeks later...

That's my question of the day. We are contemplating a January cruise on the Carnival Freedom and one of our party will likely be solo and would want either an inside or OV. Will she be able to get a discount?

We are also sailing next month on the Carnival Magic doing the TA and some of the singles going with us have mentioned that they did manage to get some sort of discount although I don't know how much. One said is was just too good to refuse.

Now I realize that, since ours is a TA, it isn't going to appeal to everyone, so maybe they offer a discount versus shorter cruises not needing to.

Anyone have any insight they can share?:confused:

Hello! I'm recently divorced and am looking for my first solo cruise (second cruise overall) this coming January or February.

Going through my options, the 7 day cruises on many of the Carnival ships are pretty much the same price as the 7 day cruises on the NCL Epic even with the solo surcharge (I'm looking at interior rooms here).

I sailed on the Carnival Destiny back in 2009, so I have a pretty good feel for what Carnival is all about and I had a blast with them. Could some of you who have sailed Carnival and sailed the NCL Epic give me any reasons to prefer one or the other?

Mainly, I'm looking to have a good time as a solo cruiser. I'm pretty low key, but I'd also like to socialize a bit, cut loose, and have a great time. I honestly don't care which ports I'm going to - I'll make the best of wherever the boat takes me.

hey im trying to decide the same thing, cruiseing solo but meeting friends, the epic is a similar cost but ive done carnival twice now . what ship wud a party animal like me prefer?

• 1 month later...

Its true, the studios are small, but not one passenger on my cruise minded. We felt it was out own personal space. Perhaps the innovations like mood lighting helped. Definitely, the living room concept was a major plus because you always had dinner companionship if desired. Plus, I doubt any Carnival ship can rival the entertainment choices--something different and first class every night.

Archived