Ship overcrowded during school breaks?

karen2754

We are planning to sail the Disney Magic with our two sons on Feb. 18, 2006 (7-night Eastern Caribbean; the boys will be 7 and almost 4). School will be closed for the week, at least in much of the northeast. I am wondering how the influx of kids will affect the cruise, especially the kids' clubs.

It sounds like some kids have loved the clubs while others called them "boooring." That's to be expected, I guess; every kid is different. But a couple of posters have complained that the clubs seemed overcrowded. As a result, their kids spent too much of their time lining up, getting organized, transitioning, etc. -- not really being engaged in activities. I'm wondering if the number of kids on board has a big effect on the quality of their experience in the club.

If anyone has sailed during school holidays or other peak times, and your kids tried the clubs, could you let me know how it worked out for them? If the club is too crowded to be fun, and my kids are reluctant to go, I think that will really take away from the whole cruise experience.

On the flip side, if you sailed when school was in session, did your kids have any trouble finding others their age? Or is that a silly question on a Disney cruise at any time of year?!

People seem to feel the kids' pools are often overcrowded, so that is something I'm already expecting.

Thanks for any info you can share!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

We went for spring break week last year with grandkids. they were 11,9,5,2.

Since the ship can only book till they reach their capacity it really doesnt matter when you go. You never feel really crowded. Our grand kids spent hours everyday in the kids areas and loved it all. They have free time and for special projects, such as making flubber, you need to sign up so they will be in small groups. They do movies, pizza parties, ghost stories out on deck at night, way to much to say. Kids get their own navigators so they can plan their day ahead of time and sign up for special things. Kids also do a special show for parents as your leaving cc. Kids love it! The mickey pool does tend to get crowded at times, but early morning and late in the evening is ok. When your in port, if you stay on the ship no one is in the pools then. We never had it too crowded to where the kids didnt get to do what they wanted. They are set up to handle a lot of kids. I'm sure your kids will have a ball.

mom x4,grandma x4

• 3 weeks later...

we were on the wonder during the week after easter - the ship was full. That said, Disney actually limits (so I have read) the number of kids in each categiry - i.e., there will never be more than "x" number of 3-5 year olds; and "y" number of 6-9 year olds (or however they divide up the club age groups). From personal experience, when I checked to see if our cruise was full the week before we left, it would let me make a reservation for my wife and I in the same cabin category - but if I put in my daughter at age 4 - they wouldn't let us go - but if I put her in at 15 they would - so it seemed clear the age was the defining category. We never felt the kids clubs were too crowded - and this was our second Disney cruise - both at peak times.

Archived