Roatan: docked or anchored?

rajones007

I just got my e-docs today (69 days before sailing) on the Stars western Caribbean sailing in November 2011.

It shows us as being anchored in Roatan. Could that be a misprint? I know that there are no other ships in Roatan the day we are to be there, unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it yet. I've been to Mahogany Bay, which holds at least 2 ships but I've never been docked at Coxen Hole. Does the pier at Coxen Holen only have enough room for 1 ship? Could it be that the Star somehow got booted off the pier?

It's not that I care about being tendered, it just seems unusual. So I'm curious, that's all.

(otherwise, our e-docs correctly show us as anchored in Belize, docked in Costa Maya, and docked in Cozumel.)

I just got my e-docs today (69 days before sailing) on the Stars western Caribbean sailing in November 2011.

It shows us as being anchored in Roatan. Could that be a misprint? I know that there are no other ships in Roatan the day we are to be there, unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it yet. I've been to Mahogany Bay, which holds at least 2 ships but I've never been docked at Coxen Hole. Does the pier at Coxen Holen only have enough room for 1 ship? Could it be that the Star somehow got booted off the pier?

It's not that I care about being tendered, it just seems unusual. So I'm curious, that's all.

(otherwise, our e-docs correctly show us as anchored in Belize, docked in Costa Maya, and docked in Cozumel.)

That's unusual. I've been to Roatan twice on NCL and been docked both times. However, the dock is only capable of handling one ship. So if there's another ship in port, that might be the answer.

Are you on the Star's sailing that is in Roatan on Nov. 22nd? If so, Cruise TT shows two other ships in port that day: Crown Princess and MSC Poesia. All other dates in November the Star is in port by herself.

Here's the link:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=606&date=39

In Roatan I have docked at Mahagony Bay, docked at Coxen Hole and once when we couldn't make it into MB and a Celebrity shipped was already docked at CH we did drop anchor near CH and tender.

So it does depend on how many other ships will be there

Are you on the Star's sailing that is in Roatan on Nov. 22nd? If so, Cruise TT shows two other ships in port that day: Crown Princess and MSC Poesia. All other dates in November the Star is in port by herself.

Here's the link:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=606&date=39

That's where I got the info I mentioned in my first post. We'll be there on the 15th, and cruise TT shows no other ship in Roatan whatsoever.

I'll phone NCL on Tuesday when the long weekend is over.

In Roatan I have docked at Mahagony Bay, docked at Coxen Hole and once when we couldn't make it into MB and a Celebrity shipped was already docked at CH we did drop anchor near CH and tender.

So it does depend on how many other ships will be there

Now that's interesting.

I wonder how often that happens. I know cruise TT has been found to be inaccurate at times, so it's possible we got pushed out of CH by some other ship.

EDIT. I just checked cruise cal and it also shows the Star as being the only cruise ship in Roatan on the 15th of November.

Interesting. I just checked my docs for the Nov 6th sailing and it shows us anchored for Roatan. From my research we are also the only ship there that day. Of course I would prefer to dock because I like to keep it simple and not waste time, but it's all good.

I'll be curious what NCL tells you when you call.

I checked on anchoring in Roatan in addition to Belize for my October 23rd sailing on the Star, and was told by NCL "Both are scheduled for tender, I do not have further info."

Oops. I forgot about this thread.

I called this morning and was pretty much told the same thing: "it says Anchored, so it looks like you're tendering. What else can I help you with?"

This page-- http://www.portofroatan.com/town_center.html --(down a little bit on the page) says they have future plans to expand the port to accomodate the Oasis class ships. Some nice drawings on that page too.

So perhaps that's the issue: construction.

Oops. I forgot about this thread.

I called this morning and was pretty much told the same thing: "it says Anchored, so it looks like you're tendering. What else can I help you with?"

This page-- http://www.portofroatan.com/town_center.html --(down a little bit on the page) says they have future plans to expand the port to accomodate the Oasis class ships. Some nice drawings on that page too.

So perhaps that's the issue: construction.

Actually, all of the port construction shown on that web page is already done. The problem is, there's really only a single dock (as shown). That means if more than one ship is scheduled on any given day, the other ships beyond the one at the dock will have to anchor and use tenders.

I don't think there's room for tenders to come into Coxen Hole. I would say it's docked.

In March 2010 on Jewel we docked at Coxen Hole

In February 2011 we were on Spirit and scheduled to dock at Mahagony Bay- it was too windy that day to back in so we kept going and went to Coxen Hole where Celebrity Eclipse was already docked so we dropped anchor and they let the lifeboats down to tender.

Hi,

I worked for NCL and lived in Roatan. So I can assure you they can tender in, at Coxen Hole. Looking at this picture. The tenders would usually come in on the left side of the pier, land side. If that helps. Where you can see the fencing on the pier.

Thanks. That's helpful. I can see where they would come in on that side now. The Epic sure filled up that port

766-vi.jpg

1138-vi.jpg

Archived