Sofa bed question

Cruise prn

I just returned from the Zuiderdam, Alaska. I shared a Superior Verandah Suite with MIL & SIL. I slept on the sofa bed and was very comfortable. In the Superior the bed actually has a regular mattress on a set of springs. It is narrow, but fine. The only problem was convincing the room stewards to convert it back to a sofa during the day, as it is a time consuming process. And there is plenty of room for 3 in the cabin and adequate storage space for 3, even if all 3 are women.

I have stayed in a Deluxe Suite, but no one used the sofa bed, so cannot speak to that category.

Hope this helps.

I have slept on the sofa beds in a SY and in a SA. The mattress in the SY was very comfortable. The mattress in the SA was thin and would not lay flat.

If I ever have to sleep on a sofa mattress in a SA again I will ask for a mattress topper like an egg crate or whatever they have

For three women--how do you decide who gets stuck with the sofa bed? Someone wanted to join my girlfriend and me on a cruise and said she did not think it was fair to get stuck with the sofa bed and have to pay the same thing we did.

Since my MIL paid for the whole trip, the "pay the same thing" did not apply, but obviously she would not get stuck with the sofa bed. I made all the decisions, arrangements, etc... I took the sofa bed. Had it been even remotely uncomfortable, I would have traded off with SIL nightly or at the half-way point. As it was, I had the easiest access to the verandah which made me even happier.

The third person fare was $199, so if divided up equally that reduces the individual fares substantially for which I would gladly draw straws for the sofa bed. Just musing.....

For three women--how do you decide who gets stuck with the sofa bed? Someone wanted to join my girlfriend and me on a cruise and said she did not think it was fair to get stuck with the sofa bed and have to pay the same thing we did.

I am going as the third person on a cruise. We are splitting the cost 3 ways and I will take the sofa bed. I figure it would cost me a lot more to get my own cabin if I weren't included as the third. I would suggest the third person who wanted to join you (its your cabin!) take the sofa, or get their own cabin. Otherwise do something random - like draw straws, roshambo..... whatever.

We've used the sofa sleepers on two occasions, once in a oceanview D and most recently in an oceanview C. Both occasions, no problems. My DD and my DMIL had no complaints. Beds were made and turned down like the normal beds.

John

We are a party of 3 and I am debating whether to book two staterooms or a suite. Does anyone have experience with sleeping on the sleeper sofa in a suite on HAL? Are they comfortable for an adult, or should I book two staterooms instead?
If you book an SC (triple) the sofa bed is really a single bed upside down (real mattress on springs) and would be just that comfortable. Click on thumbnails. First as sofa, then flipped over as a bed. The mattress IS NOT the sofa seating surface. It's two separate things back-to-back.

Cheers!

5191_AZNative2000_sofa-1.jpg.bd52cae26a22e5d01fe0fba74bb3d1af.jpg

5191_AZNative2000_sofa-2.jpg.2b1d88456f15d51fddfd20d69731273d.jpg

If you book an SC (triple) the sofa bed is really a single bed upside down (real mattress on springs) and would be just that comfortable. Click on thumbnails. First as sofa, then flipped over as a bed. The mattress IS NOT the sofa seating surface. It's two separate things back-to-back.

Cheers!

Thanks so much for the information and the photos which were especially helpful!

Thanks so much for the information and the photos which were especially helpful!
You're welcome.:):)

We've stayed in an SC corner-aft with the wraparound balcony twice. If you choose one of those you will love both the inside AND the outside of your cabin. Another plus ... they cost less. You didn't say where you are cruising. Wherever it is, have a great time and enjoy those sweet suite amenities.

You're welcome.:):)

We've stayed in an SC corner-aft with the wraparound balcony twice. If you choose one of those you will love both the inside AND the outside of your cabin. Another plus ... they cost less. You didn't say where you are cruising. Wherever it is, have a great time and enjoy those sweet suite amenities.

We are going to the Caribbean on the Eurodam (not my first choice due to the narrow stern verandahs), but I'm restricted to a specific week next Spring due to others we are traveling with and the Eurodam worked out for us. I am booking one of the stern SCs. From the deck plans, it looks like the verandah on the aft side of the SC is a little bigger on the Upper Promenade deck than the decks above. Now that I've researched the sofa bed issue, I need to do a little research on the verandahs. For me, the verandah is at least as important as the cabin. Thanks for your good wishes and how helpful you have been.

We are going to the Caribbean on the Eurodam. I am booking one of the stern SCs. From the deck plans, it looks like the verandah on the aft side of the SC is a little bigger on the Upper Promenade deck than the decks above. Now that I've researched the sofa bed issue, I need to do a little research on the verandahs. For me, the verandah is at least as important as the cabin. Thanks for your good wishes and how helpful you have been.
I think you are right about the Upper Prom SC corners having the largest balconies. Hope you can grab one.

Here is a thumbnail from Google images that shows that, indeed, the lowest deck is much wider on the sides. Link to full size photo:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BP1unI3JPbI/TIgsyk-DDwI/AAAAAAAAQdc/kqOJIiSS7u0/s1600/Stern.jpg

Again, have a great time.:):)

Stern.jpg.d08e7a509160e53527c0c858f2e6a4f4.jpg

Here is what the sofa bed looks like in an SY on Eurodam...

If you are not able to get an SC, I would recommend 6113 which is the stateroom you see in these photos. It is on the bend of the ship and has a long balcony (regular depth) and offers extra space in the stateroom because of the location.

:) :)

IMG_3420.jpg.d5bbff470c59770a17f523fea31ef6df.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg.9ab2df662c18da3d0f71f2f08da5747f.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg.1de32572f2a30e85c1413e2bb1096e43.jpg

You have several choices. As mentioned, usually the fare for the third person in a cabin is significantly less. I have heard of others who split the total fare by three people and take turns on the sofa bed.

In your case, since two of you already planned this trip, it seems perfectly fine to offer her the sofa bed or suggest nicely that she can always get her own cabin. If all three of you were planning to go together from day one, I think rotating would be the most fair way of handling this situation. In your situation, I say offering the sofa bed is fair. Since you and your friend will be saving some money by taking her on, you could offer to let her pay a little less for sleeping on the sofa bed. In the end it is the decision of you and the friend you intially planned this with.

Archived