Thoughts on Ephesus shuttle or on our own

Has anyone used public transportation to reach Ephesus? Is it rather straightforward?

Or would you recommend something like the Ephesus shuttle? (http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/Shuttle-Services/Kusadasi-to-Ephesus/4#) Shuttle to the site is only $15 per person. Seems reasonable (especially compared to the rest of the Med).

Any thoughts from experienced cruisers?

Thanks!!

Depending on your financial situations, I'd highly recommend getting a private tour at Ephesus if you've never been there before. It really enhances the experience. I did the Acropolis with Rick Steves' audio tour - and was satisfied with that. I don't think I would have been satisfied with that in Ephesus. Having a private guide just makes it come alive. You aren't looking at that much more money. We paid $55 a person which included all entrance fees and lunch. So $15 for transport + $13 (roughly) for the main site + $9 (roughly) for the Terrace Houses and already you are at $37 per person. And that is without lunch. Plus the tour also included entrance to the museum and transportation to House of the Virgin Mary (I don't think there is an entrance fee here, but could be wrong).

Just something to think about.

I've heard public transportation is pretty straight forward - but will let someone else comment.

Has anyone used public transportation to reach Ephesus? Is it rather straightforward?

Or would you recommend something like the Ephesus shuttle? (http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/Shuttle-Services/Kusadasi-to-Ephesus/4#) Shuttle to the site is only $15 per person. Seems reasonable (especially compared to the rest of the Med).

Any thoughts from experienced cruisers?

Thanks!!

We are probably one of the very few who has used "public" transportation and it is not a mode of travel we recommend to anyone other then very experienced adventuous travelers. Unless they have changed their systen, the only public transit are large vans (like very small buses) that run from the bus station (located on the other side of town from the port) along the main road that leads to Ephesus. When we took that "bus" it cost about $1 and the bus dropped us along the main road (there is a small bus kiosk) from where we had to hike about a mile up a small road to the entrance of the ruins. About 2 years ago another CC regular (she is a travel agent and very experienced traveler) asked me (here) for detailed directions and I posted about everything we could remember. This lady actually followed my directions, found the bus, and repeated (with success) our adventure. But keep in mind its a pretty long walk from main road up to the ruins, and if it is a hot day it might not be fun for most folks.

As an alternative you can take a taxi to the ruins (from the port) but beware that many of the taxi drivers are excellent entreprenaurs (some would say this means crooks) who will want to massively overcharge you for the taxi ride. The taxi should probably cost no more then $15 (for an entire taxi) but the drivers will often ask for at least $50 (and sometimes more). Some folks have better luck by leaving the port, walking through the bazaar to a different part of town, and then trying to find a taxi (the theory is that all the taxis at the port are crooks...but things are better away from the port)

Hank

Archived