Hofburg vs Schonbrunn Palaces, Vienna

reynoldswrap

RS indicates that visits to both the Hofburg and Schonbrunn would be redundant. If you have been to both of the palaces, which would you recommend if we only have time for one? Thank You!

I have been to the Hofburg three times and Schonbrunn twice and it is hard to say which to choose if you can visit only one. They are quite different so visiting both would not be redundant.

The Hofburg was the imperial palace of the Hapsburgs and is located inside the Ringstrasse in the center of Vienna. It was the Habsburgs' principal winter residence, and the Schönbrunn Palace was their preferred summer residence.

The Hofburg is huge and contains multiple residences and museums which include the treasury and royal apartments. It would take more than a day to see even a fraction of it. Check it out on Google to get an idea of its history and contents.

The Schonbrunn which is about 6k from the city center is more spectacular with its manicured gardens, baroque facades, and marvelous interiors. You can see much of it on a half day tour. Because of its beautiful formal gardens it is more interesting in warm weather than in the winter.

Perhaps you would want to see the Schonbrunn and then see the exterior of the Hofburg in a city highlights tour if you are short on time.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy Vienna.

Gianna

If you only have time to do one then take the Metro to Schonnbrun and see the Summer Palace there. The palace is huge and spectacular, plus the Mews on the right, huge gardens. Be sure to go round the back gardens and walk up to the spectacular fountain and structure on the hill at the rear of the gardens .

If you have time to add in part of the Hofburg - skip the apartments and tour the royal treasury. The jewels / displays are absolutely amazing. For Schonbrunn, get there as early as you can. Lines can be quite long sometimes but the earlier you are there, the better. You can take the metro and then a bus to get there.

If you know what time you will be there by, it may be worth it. I was there in early Sept. a few years ago and we were at Schonbrunn by 9:15 am. We did not have any wait at all. I have heard of others being there after 10:30 who have to wait up to an hour.

Archived