NCL Freestyle vs Celebrity

barb-ottawa

I apologize if this has been asked before. My husband and I have cruised 3 times on NCL and appreciate the freestyle dining aspect, i.e. eat when you want, where you want and don't have to share a table. Also, we are comfortable on NCL cruises where the atmosphere is less formal and we can dress casually for dinner. We would like to try a different cruise line and have heard good things about Celebrity, but wonder about the things that are important to us, i.e. eating on a less-regimented basis and informal atmosphere. Would appreciate comments from Celebrity cruisers. Thanks.

I have cruised about 15+ times and just took my first NCL cruise last Christmas on the Jewel out of NY.

Celebrity is actually less formal for dinner than they used to be, but they still have two designated formal nights on a week long cruise. They did frown on jeans on their smart casual nights, but I have seen more of them in the dining room lately where you were never allowed in the past.

NCL is definitely better in sitting people for anytime dining since that is all they do. We have made a reservation time on Celebrity for anytime dining for a table for 2 and have still waited 30-45 minutes, but other people have better luck than us.

Celebrity certainly has a more upscale vibe than NCL and they don't usually hound you to buy drinks like NCL around the pool. I found NCL entertainment much more lively than Celebrity in the theater and bars. Drink prices were comparable.

Celebrity keeps adding additional cost restaurants so you certainly have the same variety as NCL.

The older i get, the more casual atmosphere i prefer so I will be skipping the formal nights on my next Celebrity cruise since I can't be bothered.

Just my opinion,but hope it helps you out.

Barb:

Celebrity does offer select dining, where you may eat dinner when you like within a certain time frame....I THINK it's between 6 and 9:30. Their website encourages reservations be made earlier that day, but I know many who just show up and don't really have to wait too long.

As for casual dress for dinner, I guess it would depend on what you consider "casual."

In the main dining room on a one week Celebrity cruise five nights are classified as "smart casual" and two nights "formal." Basically smart casual for women would be a dress, skirt, pants/capris and a shirt or blouse, and for a man, a pair of slacks and a sleeved shirt. Shorts or flip flops are not allowed in the main dining room in the evening at any time. I

would guess it's probably about the same on NCI???

I have seen Celebrity actually turn people away from the main dining room due to inappropriate attire.

I believe they follow the same dress code for each night in the specialty restaurants as they do in the main dining room.

If you wanted to be that casual (shorts, etc.) there's always the buffet.....which is really good....or room service.

It would probably would benefit you to visit their website which has quite a bit of information on the dining areas dress codes.

I've only cruised Celebrity three or four times so some of my information may not be entirely correct.

One of the main reasons why we prefer Celebrity to NCL is formal nights. We're formal night snobs, so we much prefer it to "optional" formal nights on NCL, when you feel out of place by dressing up. Makes no sense to us.

Anyway, other reasons we prefer Celebrity to NCL include better service, better food and a better overall atmosphere. With NCL, sometimes you get good service, sometimes they seem like they could care less. At least that has been our experience. Dining when you want and with whom you want shouuld not be the only reason to choose one line over another. Many other differences should point you in the Celebrity direction for many cruises to come.

I sugggest trying X. Since they now have select dining (as an option which you need to sign-up for in advance of sailing), the differences between NCL and X are narrowing. Also, X is much less "formal" than they were just a few years ago (both in dress and in atmosphere). We usually choose a cruise by itinerary and price, so we've had the opportunity to cruise several different cruise lines (8 so far). All have their good and less-good points; we've enjoyed every cruise!

Thanks for the all the great comments. It certainly seems that our style of cruising is not dissimilar to that which is offered on Celebrity....or X as you call it. Smart casual is our preferred manner of dress and it sounds like anytime dining is available. I may see some of you one day on an X cruise.

I have sailed both NCL and Celebrity in the past year, and I actually disagree with the above posters in that I find the two lines very different. The biggest difference is the dress code. NCL is very casual, with no required formal nights. Celebrity is fairly rigid, everyone I saw carefully followed the dress code of 2 formal nights and the others smart casual, where people cleaned up and dressed neatly and nicely for the evening. NCL was pretty mcuh anything goes, which I admit has its own attraction. Celebrity does now have Select Dining and they do it very well, so it's no problem to eat when you want and with whom you want, but it has a limited evening buffet and less variety in its specialty restaurants. Atmosphere is quiet and sophisticated and elegant, very different from NCL which we find lively and energetic. I'm just not sure that the OP will like Celebrity if he/she really likes NCL. Personally, I enjoy them both, but our expectations are quite different for our cruises on each line. NCL is often looked down upon here on the Celebrity boards, but it has many devoted cruisers who wouldn't sail any other line.

I've also tried NCL this year and have sailed on X many times (but will be trying it's new select dining for the 1st time next year). While the ships on both lines are physically similar, we found the food and service with less announcements better on X. The entertainment was better on NCL. The specialty restaurants on both lines were excellent.

What is the cost for speciality restaurants on NCL?

On X the main specialty restaurant now is $40pp (previously kept going up from $20 and last at $35 until 9/1). The crepe place is $5pp.

On NCL this spring the range of fees we paid were from $10 to $30 pp depending on the restaurant.

Is it true you have to pay extra for some of the entertainment on NCL? My neighbors just returned from a 7-day cruise on Epic and said Blue Man Group, Cirque, and some Spanish ballet show were all extra charge. Sounds ridiculous to me, no other line charges extra for entertainment! Wonder if you add it all up, what the true fare of an NCL cruise is?

Is it true you have to pay extra for some of the entertainment on NCL? My neighbors just returned from a 7-day cruise on Epic and said Blue Man Group, Cirque, and some Spanish ballet show were all extra charge. Sounds ridiculous to me, no other line charges extra for entertainment! Wonder if you add it all up, what the true fare of an NCL cruise is?

Blue Man Group is free. Cirque was a dinner with the entertainment so there was a feee for that. You have to make reservations...but there is no fee for majority of the entertainment on Epic.

On NCL everyone eats whenever they want. On Celebrity you have to sign up for it when you book. You cant always have it if anytime dining is full.

This happened to us on the Celebrity cruise we just booked. We had to take the 830 seating. We are hoping we will be able to change it but it does not look good. There is no wait list.

Otherwise, We have found Celebrity excellent, a step above NCL. Great service and food.

We stayed in balcony cabins on both lines and found NCL roomier with more storage space. (We stayed on the Equinox last year and are booked on the Silhouette this time.

So anyway if you do choose Celebrity, be sure to sign up for the seating enough in advance as it seems to be a popular choice. I think X should assign more seats in this category.

I have sailed both NCL and Celebrity in the past year, and I actually disagree with the above posters in that I find the two lines very different. The biggest difference is the dress code. NCL is very casual, with no required formal nights. Celebrity is fairly rigid, everyone I saw carefully followed the dress code of 2 formal nights and the others smart casual, where people cleaned up and dressed neatly and nicely for the evening. NCL was pretty mcuh anything goes, which I admit has its own attraction. Celebrity does now have Select Dining and they do it very well, so it's no problem to eat when you want and with whom you want, but it has a limited evening buffet and less variety in its specialty restaurants. Atmosphere is quiet and sophisticated and elegant, very different from NCL which we find lively and energetic. I'm just not sure that the OP will like Celebrity if he/she really likes NCL. Personally, I enjoy them both, but our expectations are quite different for our cruises on each line. NCL is often looked down upon here on the Celebrity boards, but it has many devoted cruisers who wouldn't sail any other line.

I have to concur with you on these points

Rosie:D

I've sailed on both lines and these are the main differences

Formal night on NCL is voluntary, but it is mandatory in the main dining room on Celebrity

Regular cabins on NCL are smaller than Celebrity, but NCL's largest suites on their newer ships are larger than Celebrity's suites. NCL also has a 235 SF mini suite which is a good compromise between a regular balcony cabin and a suite.

NCL has more specialty restaurants so you can eat at a different restaurant every night of a one week cruise.

NCL's private island is not as nice as Celebrity's

NCL has more children which makes their ships feel more crowded.

NCL has better entertainment.

We are experienced cruisers.

Having done one NCL Free-style cruise and vowing to never do one again, I believe the reason I was so disappointed was that I had expected decent food, decent service, a clean ship and a company that cared. I did not expect a constant barrage of sales pitches, terrible service from crew members who got their tips in advance and had no reason to care if they gave you good service or not. I most certainly did not expect to stand in a line for 45 minutes to go to a chocolate buffet only to be handed a paper plate!

I suggest that you try Celebrity or any other line just to see that there are different styles of cruising. There is no way for you to experience other ways of cruising if you have only gone with one line.

We tried several lines and we now know which lines we prefer, but I think you have to try a few to find where your own personal expectations are best met.

Archived