beach in St Thomas on a busy day

angel 77

We will be in St Thomas in October sharing the port with 4 other cruise ships, so I expect things will be very busy. We are just looking for a relaxing beach day and wonder what best might be best (and least crowded). We have been to Trunk Bay on St John, and it was lovely but we may not want to spend an hour and a half travelling each way. Any suggestions? We are looking at Coki Beach for the snorkelling...

We will be there in nov with two of carnivals biggies and the huge Oasis and our little SUN! Looked at carnivals excursions AND the Oasis and it appears MOST go to Coki Beach area and Magens Bay..I think we will avoid those two areas! thinking of Emerald Beach or Secret Harbor..just got to research where snorkeling is best and who will not have the 10.000 people from 3 ships!

Snorkeling is pretty good at Secret Harbor. There is a dive shop on the beach to the right when you face the water. You can rent chairs and snorkel equipment at the dive shop. There are trees for shade. There is a really good restaurant/bar right on the beach. We had an excellent lunch there.

The snorkeling is pretty good on the right side of the beach around the rocks. The water is calm as it is a harbor.

There is a small resort there, so not too many people. It is a bit off the beaten track. If you go, arrange for your taxi to return for you at a designated time. Otherwise, the resort may be willing to call one for you.

I don't think that the snorkeling is good at Emerald. I was not impressed.

A little further down the road from Sapphire beach is Lindquist Beach. It is very quiet and beautiful. My avatar photo was taken there. Not much is there in the way of facilities. There is some good snorkeling there though. I even saw a sting ray there once.

Secret Harbor has MUCH better snorkeling. IMHO.

How far is that from the port? We port in Charlotte Amaile (whichever is closest to Paradise Point. Curious how much a cabride is to Secret Harbor? Thanks!!!:cool:

Unless prices have changed , $10 per person each way. Most of the good beaches are the same price as they are all in the same area. Secret Harbour is a very pleasant small beach with good snorkeling, good food and drink and bathrooms, chairs for rent and shade trees. Since cab drivers own their own vehicles there is no need to tip.

We will be there in nov with two of carnivals biggies and the huge Oasis and our little SUN! Looked at carnivals excursions AND the Oasis and it appears MOST go to Coki Beach area and Magens Bay..I think we will avoid those two areas! thinking of Emerald Beach or Secret Harbor..just got to research where snorkeling is best and who will not have the 10.000 people from 3 ships!

IDKaren = how did you research this? Just by pulling up the excursions are the various cruiseline sites? We are taking a land vacation on STT and I am trying to plan around the busiest cruise days, hoping to avoid crowds, and would love your insight!

Morning Star Beach is the closest to Havensight. IMO it is just an okay beach. It is on the Atlantic side of the Island, can have strong waves over an uneven bottom. Recent reports have said the entry to the water is rocky. Not good for snorkeling. Food, drink and bathrooms are available. It will not cost much more to go to Sapphire, Coki or Secret Harbour. Or if you do not want to snorkel go to Emerald/Lindberg out near the airport.

B.

IDKaren = how did you research this? Just by pulling up the excursions are the various cruiseline sites? We are taking a land vacation on STT and I am trying to plan around the busiest cruise days, hoping to avoid crowds, and would love your insight!

I went to a site that lists which cruise ships are in port on the day we are there..i then went to Carnival site and Royal Caribbean site to see what excursions they offer on that day. I cannot remember the site that lists port schedules ..guess you could google it!! being from Idaho over 12 000 people is ALOT to mingle with!

You can find this information on the VInow website.

You can find this information on the VInow website.

Whoops, link doesn't work. Goggle St. Thomas Cruise ship schedules. Look for the vinow dot com address and click on the link to cruise schedules. They give the schedules for cruise ships for several months out.

Archived