Any tips for a BEER drinker to save some $$

DeanHensler

No actually common sense tells me the waiter will go to the person that tips before the person that doesn't:p

Well, like I said, we've used the coupons and have never had a problem getting service. In some cases apparently experience trumps "common sense".

On another note, I think the ;) smiley and the :p smiliey are sometimes used like a Southerner uses "Bless her heart", as in "She doesn't have a lick of sense, bless her heart." Just because you put it at the end of a derogatory comment, doesnt mean people won't get the real intent.

Well, like I said, we've used the coupons and have never had a problem getting service. In some cases apparently experience trumps "common sense".

On another note, I think the ;) smiley and the :p smiliey are sometimes used like a Southerner uses "Bless her heart", as in "She doesn't have a lick of sense, bless her heart." Just because you put it at the end of a derogatory comment, doesnt mean people won't get the real intent.

I'm not from the South but I do have plenty of experience....out here in the west I use this:p because I have a dry sense of humor....:)

Drink Foster's. Best buy on the boat.

Is it really cheaper than the Red Frogon draft? I thought that was the best buy.

Buy beer in port and bring it on- I have never been hassled about it and some of the carribean brews are interesting, if not great, but they can be cheap.

If you are going to Grand Cayman, cheapest beer is in the port area, 100' from ship- they got some local beers like Caribe for around a dollar a bottle, good place to chill before getting in the long tender line.

I have carried on at least a six pack of beer at every port on every cruise I have been on. But I did read someone post recently that they had some confiscated, and he only had a couple. I'll let you know in 2 weeks as I plan on continuing the tradition, or at least attemting to. Worst case, I'll get it back and bring it home. We drive to port so weight and space is not an issue.. But even if you just drink at the ports, it's always cheaper than on the ship.

I'm a beer drinker too and hate that you can't get a deal through Bon Voyage like you do on the alcohol. I always just bought buckets by the pool to save the $2. just make sure you tell ther server not to open them all and then bring them back to your room to drink later. Your Steward will keep them iced if need be. On another note, In November I used the drink coupons for beer and never had an issue with bad service. If anything, the same 2 servers kept coming back. If you are worried about them losing tips, you can always hand them a buck or two extra. I love the drink coupons and plan on using them again.

I'm not from the South but I do have plenty of experience....out here in the west I use this:p because I have a dry sense of humor....:)

It's a lost cause once you've reached the moment when you need to explain your dry humour. Most people just don't get it, and never will.

Not that that will ever stop me...;)

As for cheaper beer drinking...do most of your drinking in port, at a dive bar. :)

Well, if you want to save some money, best thing to do is, do buy fosters, through Bon Voyage.

AS, you only pay $6.75 each, no tips, etc

And, you can order as many as you like.

Than, do what I did, keep thin in your cabin, and, take then to pool, go to bar, and swap them for cold ones....

But, like they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words

DSC04309.jpg

If you order the bar credit coupons ( 4 coupons for $23.00 ) in advance they are worth $5.75 each and the tip is included so you save 86 cents per beer.

We also buy Foster's and we are charged $1.15 to our S & S card. ($1.00 extra price and 15 cent tip)

This is our way also, it does not save much money, but it lets you PREpay, so it makes it a little easier when getting off the boat.

And the bar waiter gets screwed.....and more then likely take his time coming back........you really wouldn't want to do this if you are a big drinker...just sayin...

How does the waiter get screwed? If you feel they still deserve a tip, give them a tip.

You can take them to the bar by yourself and get your drink, that way you don't have to wait for the waiter to walk your drink around the ship, loosing the carbonation or letting the ice melt.

Oh, when you commented that the people using coupons would more than likely get bad service, I thought maybe you had experienced it first hand. My bad.

I got the same thought, at first, but after reading more of her posts I think she feels the coupons are beneath her, after all she is a "Diva"

We buy drink coupons and soda coupons 2 sheets or each in advance, that way we control the spending, and the consumption a little, we still buy drinks without them at times, but it helps (in our opinion)

Well, if you want to save some money, best thing to do is, do buy fosters, through Bon Voyage.

AS, you only pay $6.75 each, no tips, etc

And, you can order as many as you like.

Than, do what I did, keep thin in your cabin, and, take then to pool, go to bar, and swap them for cold ones....

But, like they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words

DSC04309.jpg

Thank for the picture, but how did you order that 12 pack of Fosters? I don't see it on the Bon Voyage list of items. Also how much did it cost, I want to order one for the hubs on our March cruise.:) Thanks!

Oh, just reread the post, $6.75 per beer, no I haven't had anything to drink this morning:)

We have been on two seven day cruises, both times we orderd 7 packets of drink coupons, one for each day. You don't get them until dinner on the first night so any drinks that first day are charged to the room.

We also order a bottle of vodka, and rum from the bon voyage dept, can't remember the size but they are large bottles, I was surprised. Those are in your room when you arrive. We bring on a case of soda, 12 cokes for rum and coke and 12 sierra mist for the vodka.

We sip on rum and cokes and vodka and sierra mist during the day, you are less bloated this way, LOL. Then in the evening we used our coupons. We never had any bad service by using the coupons, even used them in the steak house.

This was our way of having less sticker shock at the end of the cruise. We plan our cruises at least 6 months in advance and buy the drink coupons a couple at a time to spread out the cost. The last thing we do is buy the alcohol from the bon voyage department.

There really is no way to drink cheap on a cruise, unless you are brave and try to smuggle it on. I would think it would be harder with beer though. Spreading out the cost before we go works for us.

By the way, we are primarily beer drinkers too, but on a cruise we do the rum and vodka because that truly is the best way to go cost wise.

Enjoy your first cruise, you will love it!

Archived