Trip Interuption claims for delay in return to port?

grammy c

Is anyone doing a claim for this? We sailed 8/28--9/4 on the Spirit and were delayed getting back to port do to "LEE". Being at sea was not a plus for us as we missed two days of work and yes we took the insurance. But, the first agent I spoke to tried to tell me lose of wages was NOT part of what they paid for under the policy. THEN, he said if I wished to claim this he would send forms for Trip Interuption. I've dealt with loss of property and medical bill claims before, but not this. Any help here? Thanks!

Is anyone doing a claim for this? We sailed 8/28--9/4 on the Spirit and were delayed getting back to port do to "LEE". Being at sea was not a plus for us as we missed two days of work and yes we took the insurance. But, the first agent I spoke to tried to tell me lose of wages was NOT part of what they paid for under the policy. THEN, he said if I wished to claim this he would send forms for Trip Interuption. I've dealt with loss of property and medical bill claims before, but not this. Any help here? Thanks!

By all means, file your claim and take the reimbursement for whatever your policy covers. You are entitled to it since you paid for your policy. This is exactly what the insurance is for.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't offer any further help without seeing the exact details of what the policy does/does not cover. I would suggest reading it over very carefully to ensure that any benefit received matches the terms of your coverage.

Best of luck...I do hope that you did enjoy the cruise!

SeaShark, thanks for the incouragement. I know it will be a pain to research but YES I will give it a try. The policy is with CSA and have used them many times with good results with claims, but not without deligence! And yes we had a great time! We go on this ship for the Belize/Roatan ports. Can't get enough of the reefs. Will be back Jan./21 to check out long term rentals on Ambergris Cay.

No harm in filing a claim, but if lost wages is all you have, I suspect it will be an uphill battle. The rep mentioned the trip interruption coverage, but that doesn't really fit. Trip interruption is for when you can't continue on your trip and miss part of it. Trip delay seems like the appropriate category. I pulled up the CSA plan and this is what it says for trip delay:

If your Covered Trip is delayed for 6 hours or more, we will

reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule

for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for

hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and local

transportation while you are delayed. We will not pay benefits

for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible.

Did you have to pay for airline tickets, etc? If so, those should be covered. Good luck.

No harm in filing a claim, but if lost wages is all you have, I suspect it will be an uphill battle. The rep mentioned the trip interruption coverage, but that doesn't really fit. Trip interruption is for when you can't continue on your trip and miss part of it. Trip delay seems like the appropriate category. I pulled up the CSA plan and this is what it says for trip delay:

If your Covered Trip is delayed for 6 hours or more, we will

reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule

for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for

hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and local

transportation while you are delayed. We will not pay benefits

for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible.

Did you have to pay for airline tickets, etc? If so, those should be covered. Good luck.

Trip extensions are handled differently from trip cancellations/interruptions. A covered reason must trigger the coverage. Once it has been determined to be a "covered" incident, reimbursable items would include any meals purchased, airline change fees, clothing (if luggage is lost/delayed), etc. Once travel has resumed, any fees that occur afterwards are the sole responsibility of the traveler.

I'm not aware of any policy that will reimburse the OP for missed work hours. Whether the position is exempt, non-exempt or commissioned, I suspect it would be the same. Although these were extenuating circumstances, employee vacation time is typically not recoverable. An understanding (and generous) employer may excuse the absence or give you an option to make up the time.

Either way, I do wish the OP luck.

Archived