Overcrowded Alaska Ports - Yes or No?

kodykatt

Will it be possible, with 4 other ships in town, to take the tram up Mt. Roberts

without buying a ticket in advance?

How about catching a bus (or whatever) to Mendenhall Glacier?

I am sure that having to share each port with so many people will lessen our enjoyment, but I am still glad we are able to go and I am so EXCITED!!!

Both times I was in Juneau I had no problem catching either the tram or the bus. The challenge with Mt. Roberts, though, is catching it on a clear day. When it's foggy it kind of defeats the purpose. If you can't see the top of Mt. Roberts from the ground, don't expect to see the ground from the top.

We're doing Alaska cruise #3. Have found that taking the first voyage of the year makes all the difference. On our NCL May 8-15 trip in a few weeks, there will be only 2 ships in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway - and just us in Wrangell.

Downside? The weather may be cooler and unpredictable. Newly positioned crew could = less organization.

Upside? Prices are considerably less than June/July sailings - you can upgrade a few categories for the same buck. Boat may not be completely full. Less kids onboard. More excursions available.

Alaska cruising has become so popular that having to accept the crowds is just part of the journey by big ship. One day, we'd love to be able to explore the 'wilder side' to less frequented towns and islands by small boat. But, it's so darn hard to give up the supership amenities!

Just one girl's opinion.

:cool: Starbuck

>>One day, we'd love to be able to explore the 'wilder side' to less frequented towns and islands by small boat. But, it's so darn hard to give up the supership amenities!<<

Four years ago, Cathy spent 12 days on a 105-foot sailboat ( http://www.mapleleafadventures.com/ ) doing basically the same route we're doing on the Radiance next month. The more I look at the big boats, the more I think we'll be on the sailboat next time. "Different strokes" and all that....

Murray

Both times I was in Juneau I had no problem catching either the tram or the bus. The challenge with Mt. Roberts, though, is catching it on a clear day. When it's foggy it kind of defeats the purpose. If you can't see the top of Mt. Roberts from the ground, don't expect to see the ground from the top.

Exactly why I won't book in advance!

Thanks!

I went twice in mid-June, and while I did have excursions at most ports, I also walked around the towns. I really didn't find the crowds that bad, considering how many ships were there. A lot of the people are off on excursions. I found that the busiest time was right after my ship docked.

Archived