South pacific weather

We are thinking of booking on the radiance for the south pacific cruise in mar/apr 2012. Has anybody been in the sp at this time? I noticed that this is during the hurricane and wet season. Is this usually a big problem?

Also noticed another couple of strange things. On these boards people kept talking about it being a member cruise but there was no mention of it on the royal Caribbean website. However I changed my coutnry settings to e u.s and sure enough it is listed as a member cruise and is less expensive. They include ore paid gratuities on our quotes but not on the u.s site. I thought there would be more consistency. Is a member cruise good or bad thing?

We are thinking of booking on the radiance for the south pacific cruise in mar/apr 2012. Has anybody been in the sp at this time? I noticed that this is during the hurricane and wet season. Is this usually a big problem?

Also noticed another couple of strange things. On these boards people kept talking about it being a member cruise but there was no mention of it on the royal Caribbean website. However I changed my coutnry settings to e u.s and sure enough it is listed as a member cruise and is less expensive. They include ore paid gratuities on our quotes but not on the u.s site. I thought there would be more consistency. Is a member cruise good or bad thing?

There is some risk that a cyclone could be about at this time. The odds are better as it's late in the season. That said, I believe the capatin will ensure the safest passage and plot a course around the system. If you want to be guananteed of no cyclone weather, June-December is best.

Sorry can't help you with your member cruise query, but I assume you could get a better 'group buying power' price.

As a resident of the tropics I am a weather watcher from way back.

March & April are still cyclone/hurricane season but if you choose a cruise for late April rather than early March then the chances of encountering bad weather is less. Of course there are no guarantees with the weather. :D

The attached link gives an indication of the current thought processes of the professional weather watchers.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/tropnote/tropnote.shtml

I have cruised regularly from Nov to March in the tropics and yes there have been cyclones about..it has never overly disturbed our cruise. The captain will make sure you are well clear of any bad weather and sometimes you have to miss a port. But really I dont think it is something that should stop you from choosing to cruise then. It is also the rainy season so you can expect afternoon showers, but it is warm rain..nothing a Scot would be worried about.

We did a members cruise on RC Radiance in May/08 Ensenada to Honolulu. We got little gifts almost every night from C&A society. Things like bath sets, beach towels, picture frame/clock to name a few. It was really nice to get these items. Since we were both diamond members then (our first diamond cruise), we also received a free shore excursion which happened to be a luau in Hawaii. We loved it. I would definitely suggest going on a members cruise if you get the chance. Not sure how many "gifts" you would get now with the cruise lines cutting back on so many things. Maybe someone else has taken a "members cruise" more recent than 3.5 years ago. Hope this helps you out. :D :D

Archived