Ever take a cruise and get off only once or never?

flagger

My husband and I took our first cruise last year. We got off the ship in Freeport and Nassau but stayed on the ship at the last port, we totally enjoyed people watching and seeing people run back to the ship at the last moment.

Enjoyed so much I will be on the Liberty the first of October with my 3 sisters.

I have always gone ashore at some point when in port. But this time we are thinking of staying on-board in Nassau. Much prefer the last day as a "fun day at sea", but have booked the Freedom this November and it stops in Nassau 12-7pm on the last day. :(

It seems to me I have noticed the pools closed and being cleaned while in port. Am I remembering this correctly? Would be nice if we stay on-board in Nassau to swim on the Lido deck and relax there! Also, someone mentioned the water slide... so I gather this is open while in port?!!

I guess we are right in the middle.....we cruise for the ports and for the ship and always enjoy both. Sometimes repeat ports get a little tedious, but I find I ALWAYS see something I've never seen before - even a slight difference in the weather can make a port experience totally different. And whoever said going ashore is hot sweaty work is right - but for us it's worth it! In the past we've always had our kids with us, but our next cruise is no-kids. We may actually give staying onboard a try in Nassau, since we've been there several times!

[quote name='CrimsonQueen']On my first cruise, I got off in Jamaica, and wasn't prepared for the aggressive assault of the sellers.....people in my face, tugging my arm, pushing/pulling me toward their booth. Being my mother's daughter :) I didn't want to be rude, until I'd finally had enough, and said, very low and very firm...."Get out of my face!" I went back to the ship, and didn't get off at our next stop.... (Grand Cayman....I've since returned) thinking every port would be that way![/quote]

You know, I took one of the tours from the people with the signs that also do cabs at the port in Grand Cayman. The tour was great, and the guide told us that they always have a hard time when people stop in Grand Cayman the day after Jamaica because everyone is so hardened by the aggressive sales in Jamaica. We also stopped getting off in Jamaica after the first time, and we spend the day enjoying the hot tubs while everyone is off the ship. :)

I've been to all of the eastern and western caribben ports at least three times or more. There have been many times that I have stayed on the ship and enjoyed the uncrowded ship, especially in Belize, Bahamas and Grand Cayman.

I try to be one of the first off the ship at every port. I really wanted to cruise the five port Southern itinerary out of San Juan, but airfare was ridiculous. Settled for four ports out of Miami. I beeline to the best beach I can find as soon as I'm off the ship.

On our previous 3 cruises, we got off in every port. But on my up-coming solo cruise I don't plan on getting off at all. I'm a stay-at-home mom to 4 kids ages 8, 5, 3 and 17 months. I'm looking forward to complete and utter relaxation on this cruise and I just don't think I will get that if I get off the boat. It's such a pain to get on the tender (going to Cabo and Puerto Vallarata), deal with the people harassing you to buy things and the heat. I'm looking forward to an empty, quiet ship this time around. But I think people should do whatever they want to do on a cruise! :)

I cruise for the ship, and not the ports...I don't consider the limited time allowed in each port, worth my time in getting off...I'm not a hurry, hurry, let's see everything as quick as we can person...If I want to visit a country I'll book a land holiday there...Plus, by the time your start adding in the cost of shore excursions into the cruise cost, then cruising isn't quite the bargain it can appear to be...And I've never been that impressed with the shopping at various ports either...I like to shop, but I can do just as well at home.

So after the first couple of cruises, I began spending much more time on the ship, and on my last cruise a few weeks ago, I never got off...I relaxed, read, people-watched, and enjoyed the "emptiness" of the ship.

[quote name='Jules215']I cruise for the ship, and not the ports...[B]I don't consider the limited time allowed in each port, worth my time in getting off...[/B]I'm not a hurry, hurry, let's see everything as quick as we can person...If I want to visit a country I'll book a land holiday there...Plus, by the time your start adding in the cost of shore excursions into the cruise cost, then cruising isn't quite the bargain it can appear to be...And I've never been that impressed with the shopping at various ports either...I like to shop, but I can do just as well at home.

So after the first couple of cruises, I began spending much more time on the ship, and on my last cruise a few weeks ago, I never got off...I relaxed, read, people-watched, and enjoyed the "emptiness" of the ship.[/quote]

Really? 8 hours is not enough time to explore:confused:

[quote name='H82seaUgo']EEK!

you would prefer a waterslide or a grill to this????

[IMG]http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/4682/2564700700064948802S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

I agree! It's reminds me of people I see in Hawaii that just hang out at the pool all day instead of the beautiful beaches......

[quote name='framerman']Just did this on the Fantasy..........stayed onboard at both Nassau and Freeport..................enjoyed our floating(empty) hotel!!!!![/quote]

We got off the ship in Freeport- stood in front of the sign that said "Welcome to Freeport Harbor"...and then turned around and got right back on the ship.:D

Next cruise, we are actually going to venture away from the ship at Freeport and go kayaking since my DH wants to do it and it is his birthday cruise. If not for that, we would be staying on board again.

I guess it depends on the ports but I just was not impressed with Freeport (we did get out and about while at the other ports, so to each his own!) ;)

[quote name='MissDiva1']Really? 8 hours is not enough time to explore:confused:[/quote]

Well considering that to have that 8hrs requires getting up much earlier than I care to when on vacation, then no it's not...If I get up when I want we can knock it down to 5-6hrs...At best...I have to get up early when I'm not on vacation and don't want to feel obligated to do so when I am on vacation.

But, that's just me...That's not how I like to vacation...But for others it seems to work fine.

And finally I'd been to all of those ports more than once...They start to seem the same to me.

[quote name='flagger']Has anyone ever taken a cruise and never gotten off the ship or only gotten off at a new port? We are doing just that next week and looking forward to it.[/quote]

There are times I would like to go on a cruise and NEVER get off, EVER!

Just cruise and cruise, I guess it would be a back/2/back/2/back/2/back/................/back/2/back...

Well you get the point.

I've cruise most ports in the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera at least 5 times each. Some ports a lot more. So I'm not as tempted to get off the ship in some of the ports. I always check to see how many ships are in port too. If you hit a port w/ 5 other ships and 16,000 passengers as well as staff, it's not so fun walking around w/ the crowds.
I'll either stay on the ship in that case or book my own tour. I don't book ship tours EVER.

No matter how many ships are in Jamaica or Caymans, I stay aboard since I've seen them so many times. Nice to have the pool area all serene and not have to scout for chairs.
Progresso, I just hop off, get my $10 beach massage and get back on board.
Cozumel I tend to do the Cozumel Bar Hop and get away from the crowds and see the cool places on the "wild" side of the island. It's like a different island from the port area.

[quote name='Jules215']Well considering that to have that 8hrs requires getting up much earlier than I care to when on vacation, then no it's not...If I get up when I want we can knock it down to 5-6hrs...At best...I have to get up early when I'm not on vacation and don't want to feel obligated to do so when I am on vacation.

But, that's just me...That's not how I like to vacation...But for others it seems to work fine.

And finally I'd been to all of those ports more than once...They start to seem the same to me.[/quote]

Oh ok,,,,,,,then it's not because you don't have enough time......I would be bored going to the same ports also...that's why we book different itineraries each cruise......that way we might only be repeating one or two ports and always have something new. But if we do repeat a port we just do something different there. Unless of course it's a fav port.......

[quote name='Gran3']You're right, but there are other things to do besides hit the beach.[/quote]

Of course there is......but I was comparing it to someone that would rather sit by a pool all day:p

[quote name='MissDiva1']Hell frickin no.......what's the point:confused:[/quote]
Agreed. We are taking our first cruise in a week on the Victory. To me even if I have been their, there is something cool about sayin my feet touch ground at this place at this time in my life.

[quote name='MissDiva1']Oh ok,,,,,,,then it's not because you don't have enough time......I would be bored going to the same ports also...that's why we book different itineraries each cruise......that way we might only be repeating one or two ports and always have something new. But if we do repeat a port we just do something different there. Unless of course it's a fav port.......

Of course there is......but I was comparing it to someone that would rather sit by a pool all day:p[/quote]

WTH do you care how/where someone wants to spend vacation time? :confused:

Archived