Natural High Dance Band - are they leaving P & O?

Slow Foxtrot

There is a rumour that the Natural High Dance Band will soon be leaving P & O.

Does anyone know if this is fact? If so it will be a sad day for P & O and especially dancers on the Oriana who, for many years, have had the pleasure of dancing to what many experts believe is the best dance-band at sea. If this is part of P & O's cost-cutting measures then it may prove to be a major error of judgement as P & O will lose one of its long-established star attractions.

Does anyone (even P & O) have any further information?

Hi

Was on the World cruise with Oriana last year and Natural High were playing. I thoroughly enjoyed them, especially when they did their Jazz sessions. Members of the resident band and artists appearing also made a guest appearances at these sessions.

I agree that they are one of the better bands who have served P&O guests for many years.

I do hope Johnny and his band are staying.

Regards

JO

Gosh are they still on Oriana?

We were on 2 yrs ago and the girl singer had had a fall out with the drummer. On a previous cruise they were a couple. We kept seeing them around the ship and felt sorry for the poor fellow - he was miserable!

We enjoyed them the first few times but they were a bit repetitive - same old songs/music - especially when they did jazz in the Crows Nest.

Caryl

Hi

Was on the World cruise with Oriana last year and Natural High were playing. I thoroughly enjoyed them, especially when they did their Jazz sessions. Members of the resident band and artists appearing also made a guest appearances at these sessions.

I do hope Johnny and his band are staying.

Regards

JO

Yes, we were on that cruise too and also the '09 Oriana World Cruise sector from San Francisco to Hong Kong. The great thing about Natural High is that they know the correct tempo for all the various dances. In contrast, our experience with the dance bands on the Cunard liners has been the exact opposite as most of them do not seem to have a clue what correct dance-tempos should be. They could learn a great deal from Natural High.

They have been going around and around the world for years.. BUT they could just be having a break before rejoining the world cruise.. they cant live on board for ever..

For me Caravan are brilliant as well.. they did tribute show in the Crows Nest on Aurora.. covers of all the famous songs... well their encore was Queens Bohemian Rhapsody well it was amazing and I have never seen a band get a standing ovation in the Crows Nest.:D

There is a rumour that the Natural High Dance Band will soon be leaving P & O.

Does anyone know if this is fact? If so it will be a sad day for P & O and especially dancers on the Oriana who, for many years, have had the pleasure of dancing to what many experts believe is the best dance-band at sea. If this is part of P & O's cost-cutting measures then it may prove to be a major error of judgement as P & O will lose one of its long-established star attractions.

Does anyone (even P & O) have any further information?

If they are leaving then I doubt it has anything to do with P&O cost cutting, they are a great band with a great singer, but they have been at it for years and may need a break or just a change. Good luck to them, they will take some replacing.

If they are leaving then I doubt it has anything to do with P&O cost cutting, they are a great band with a great singer, but they have been at it for years and may need a break or just a change. Good luck to them, they will take some replacing.

From an 'insider' I have heard that it may be due to P & O wanting to alter the contract and requesting that the band be reduced in size!! Whatever it is, it is to be hoped that some agreement can be reached and that dancers can continue to dance to probably the best dance-band (for UK dancers) at sea.

• 6 months later...

It was filmed late January and broadcast in Febuary, they've repeated it a few time on the channel I think.

The new line up are fantastic, some familiar faces teamed up with some very talented new members. You won't be disappointent! I hope they're on when you are :)

.... The new line up are fantastic, some familiar faces teamed up with some very talented new members. You won't be disappointed! I hope they're on when you are :)

Yes, despite many new faces the band still plays excellent tempos for ballroom and latin dancing. On the current World Cruise we did the UK to Hong Kong section and danced most nights. After dancing to Natural High for very many years we thought that it wouldn't be the same without Jonny & Kate but all things change and, as Stowaway says, you won't be disappointed with the current set-up.

Yes, despite many new faces the band still plays excellent tempos for ballroom and latin dancing. On the current World Cruise we did the UK to Hong Kong section and danced most nights. After dancing to Natural High for very many years we thought that it wouldn't be the same without Jonny & Kate but all things change and, as Stowaway says, you won't be disappointed with the current set-up.

Thanks both, I'm not a dancer but loved their music and style.

Thanks for the information on Natural High and the utube link. We really missed them on our last 2 cruises on Oriana particularly on the Jazz cruise to New Orleans last September. I agree about Caravan and hope they will still be on board Aurora in September for the New York and Canada cruise. Does anyone know what the entertainment is like on Arcadia as it is a long time since we sailed on her and we are doing a cruise in May to Venice?

It seems that P & O are presenting seven special 'Strictly Come Dancing' cruises for next year. They will take place on Azura, Aurora, Arcadia, Oceana and Venture. Oddly enough, Oriana does not seem to be included which is rather strange bearing in mind it has the best dedicated dance-floor.

One wonders if the Natural High dance-band will be moving around somewhat next year?

Archived