Cabin safes' security

Stevie Lawson

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/09/07/to-lock-or-not-to-lock-are-hotel-safes-really-that-safe/

As someone who always uses the safe is my cabin, this thread today on the Carnival Board may be of interest to fellow cruisers.

I have on occasion photographed something I have bought ashore like the serial number from an expensive watch just to be careful, but are we getting to the stage we need to note serial numbers from dollar bills too !!!

;)

It makes sense to me that each safe would have a default code. I am sure many people forget the code they have chosen and would need to have the safe opened by staff. If the safe was unable to be opened they would complain. If the staff is able to open the safe, we complain. Pretty much a no win situation. Having said that, I would hope that the default on all safes world-wide would not be all zeros!

It would be interesting to have some feedback from people either on board or boarding shortly to see whether the default applied to the safes on board!

During a recent stay at the Hilton in LV, my safe stopped working. Refused to open. Only one who was allowed to touch it was Security and only if I was in the room. She quickly fixed it but I don't know if there was a default number. At least only Security could open it.

Maybe the same on the ship?????

It makes sense to me that each safe would have a default code. I am sure many people forget the code they have chosen and would need to have the safe opened by staff. If the safe was unable to be opened they would complain. If the staff is able to open the safe, we complain. Pretty much a no win situation. Having said that, I would hope that the default on all safes world-wide would not be all zeros!

One time the Battery in our safe run out and the safe could not be opened.

The only person who could help was the head of security who arrived

with with the head housekeeper and opened the safe. He had a special reader type machine which he attached to the front of the safe.

From what I could gather the safe could only be opened this way by

anyone from the crew.

One time on boarding we found the safe in our cabin locked. We asked the stateroom attendant and guest services who said it would be taken care of. We had to wait several hours because I think it was either the chief housekeeper or Hotel Director who had to open it. Turns out the previous guests wallet, car/house keys etc were in there. I bet they had a hard time getting home :)

So I think Celebrity has a similar policy where only a very few people can access the safe.

I was on the Summit last month and accidentally punched in the wrong 4 digit code on the safe..so i wasnt sure what number i used! I told the Butler who had someone come to open the safe while i was in the room. Not sure who he was, although he looked official. He had a card that he swiped that opened the safe and reset the passcode.

I think that these safes are supplied with the default password set to 0000. The hotel is then supposed to change it to a code of its choice when it is installed in the room.

I guess that in this case the hotel was just being a bit lazy.

Easy to check though when you use the safe.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/09/07/to-lock-or-not-to-lock-are-hotel-safes-really-that-safe/

As someone who always uses the safe is my cabin, this thread today on the Carnival Board may be of interest to fellow cruisers.

I have on occasion photographed something I have bought ashore like the serial number from an expensive watch just to be careful, but are we getting to the stage we need to note serial numbers from dollar bills too !!!

;)

Interesting video to say the least. I expect we will continue to leave our valuables in the cabin's safe. I cannot imagine carrying around passports, cash and expensive jewellery. There may very well be a default setting on the safe but I would like to think it is kept by the head housekeeper or a security officer. I would be very surprised if the cabin steward or housekeeper had it. Enjoy your cruise!:)

I have locked myself out of the room safe on both Princess and Celebrity by keying in the wrong code (yes, I do know I am a dummy) and both times had the safe opened by security staff who reset the safe to allow us to enter a new code. However, in future all hotel and cabin safes will be given the 0000 test.

Archived