Rio guide and toursbylocals.com Use 3rd party

Bowie MeMe

I have been looking at several guides in Rio. There is an agency called Tours by Locals and you pay them and they hold the money for the guide until satisfaction. I have also with some work found listings for some of the guides that are not in the agency listing. I would prefer to work directly with the guide and not have a 3rd party. Am I getting into an ethical thing here? I did not realize I was working with a tour agency with the first inquiry. What do you think? Can I try to contact on my own? Does the agency give me any more assurance of success? Is it enough to just use a guide that is lisenced?

Are the services of tours by locals.com important enough to pay a premium? Anybody use them?

We just booked our Rio guide directly, not going through any third party. We used Neyla and paid her in cash at the end of each day. We used her for four different days - our transfer from the airport to the hotel, a tour of Rio, another day for a tour to Petrolpolis in the 'mountains' and finally for our transfer to the ship. She was absolutely wonderful. We've had a number of great guides over the years, but she is still the best we've ever had. :D

We ended up with Marcio Boechat for Rio. It does seem that most of the guides are familiar with and work with lots of others. The price per day was almost $100/day or service less than what some of the agency prices were. We paid through PayPal and put down a 50% deposit.

In Chile we are booked with Chilianjourneys and will have a van and driver with seperate guide so the price is higher. We also wanted to drive further distances. We gave a 10% deposit for this post cruise tour of 2 long days and delivery to the hotel one night and to the airport the next.

Trip advisor and Cruise Critic recommendations were good and then when those guides were booked they recommended others.

You can see most of the sites in Rio quite easily on your own (using taxi or Metro) or just a regular tour (Grayline-type) booked through your hotel. What do you want to see? For example, for Pao de Açucar (Sugarloaf), you can take a taxi to the station. Then you get in line and take the first car up to the midway station, then walk over to the second one to go to the stop. You'd do exactly the same thing if you were with a guide. Lots of taxis waiting when you return. For Corcovado, you can easily take a taxi to the small train at the base (a hotel can give you the exact wording). Then you take a train to the top (be sure to ask for "meia" or "idoso" fare if you are over 60), and go to the top. There is a pass that can give you discounts at many of Rio's attractions (we heard about it as we were about to depart). I'm sure your hotel would know or you could do a Web search.

Getting from the airport to your hotel is also easy using a taxi (assuming you don't want to take the Real bus). If you don't want to have to shell out money at the end of the ride based on the meter, you could always pay a bit extra for a "radio taxi" (pre-paid, flat rate) taxi you book in the airport (you'll see some booths just after Customs and again in the main terminal hallway).

Edited by Fattony

Thanks for the tips Fattony. We think that having a guide for 3 days in a city is really the most wonderful experience. We are very capable of doing it ourself but prefer to tell someone else what we want and have it "our way" without additional thinking on our part:p We have done this in Athens, Istanbul, Guyaquil and others and find it really adds to our enjoyment to have a local guide. Different strokes for different folks. That is why usually we only want our family or group-- the guide makes our whims, time schedule, personal needs (frequent bathroom stops;)) and changes of mind all happen. Worth the cost in my opinion.

• 10 months later...

Hi Barbara and Walter,

I hope you are still around this board.

I am considering using MARCIO BOECHAT as our guide in Rio. I see you used him while you were there. Can you give me your thoughts on your day with him?

Thanks!

Hi there. I just returned from the wilds of Minnesota and Thunder Bay Canada. NO internet in the classic north woods cabin:eek:

Marcio was a very good match for the three of us (Hubby, his cousin Florence and me) who are in our mid 60's and active. He talks like a friend rather than lecturing like some tour guides. He pays attention to what you are wanting and in my case he watched for the signs I was overheating (not hard to tell as I get beet red in the face and start weaving). We followed his advice to go VERY early to Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer on different days (We had airport pickup, 3days touring and 1/2 day tour when we went across the bridge to his home area which is so beautiful and different view of Rio really worth while if time) followed by transfer to Star Princess at 1 PM.

We particularly liked to go to the cool and green national park that rings RIO and looks out over the city. As you can see, we personalized our trip to fit us and our needs and he will do that for you. Traffic is horrible and Marcio is a good driver with a medium American size car which is large for Rio. All our luggage did fit but some did have to go in back seat --each person had 25 inch roller, 20 inch tote bag rolling and purse or camera. Nothing else as we stuffed the winter coats into the suitcase.

Marcio worked at the Roy Rogers restaurant in Silver Springs, Md. for a year or so and speaks excellent conversational English -- he likes to learn new English words and phrases. Marcio is my friend in Rio and I think you will also find that he is reliable and knowledgeable. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We absolutely LOVED our private guide Manu Peclat! Very highly recommend. No lines, great friend, just very good time, and we saw things most will never see on a "standard tour". He picks you up in his car and trust me - a really good guy and very entertaining and informing. http://cariocawayoflife.blogspot.com/

We were so appreciative of his services and would tour with him even again and can't recommend him highly enough!

Yes, Manu is one of the first people that my favorite guide, Rafa (Rafael Torres Lopes) passes clients on to when his own schedule is too full.

http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

donrafainrio@yahoo.es

Rafa has helped me plan trips to some really off-the-beaten-path places in Brazil, and I have also enjoyed his company while exploring Rio. Very knowledgable, passionate about his country and city, and extremely personable.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d1807084-Reviews-Rafael_Torres_Lopes_Tour_Guide-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 10 months later...
Hi VidaNaPraia,

I have contacted Rafa for a tour of Rio on February 17th. He is busy the day we are in port, but has a friend named Vanessa who is available. Do you know anything about her as a guide? Should we contact Manu instead?

thanks!

I don't know Vanessa and have not heard either good or bad about her, so I can't really comment.

Manu is, like Rafael, well known and often recommended. It's just my feeling, but my first choice suggestion would be to see if he is available for your date.

Happy travels.

• 5 weeks later...
We absolutely LOVED our private guide Manu Peclat! Very highly recommend. No lines, great friend, just very good time, and we saw things most will never see on a "standard tour". He picks you up in his car and trust me - a really good guy and very entertaining and informing. http://cariocawayoflife.blogspot.com/

We were so appreciative of his services and would tour with him even again and can't recommend him highly enough!

I have just set up airport transfers and a tour with Manu for April. Thank you (and VidaN...) for your recommendation. Some others have mentioned tour guides that want you to make a paypal deposit with them. I was expecting that but Manu is asking for full payment in cash each day we meet him. That works for me.