Mom and IPAD

lovetexas

Yes... I have called the hotel in New Orleans where she stayed. It was not there, they were very nice.

She did not leave it at her house because she was using it at the hotel.

I am fully aware that it is my mom's fault, as she is! But, it is very frustrating when you are expecting a great trip and it starts out so disapointing.

Yes, she has homeowners, but the deductible would not make it possible.

Yes, she always takes out travel insurance. And that is the route we will go when she returns.

Safes are "supposed" to be safe... I do always use them. But, I have been at hotels (NYC) and the night clerk came up to the room to open our safe. Not security... and he just removed the cover and stuck a stick kinda thing in it and the door released..

She usually takes the stuff with her, or hides it very well in the room.

We have had all sorts of stuff stolen. From nightgowns, to flat irons to cheap curlers.. Bad people see something, and they take it.

I think the IPAD and book were on the outside compartment of her bag, and someone felt it and chose to do the wrong thing. I do believe what goes around...

She did report it to Carnival security, and they said they were not responsible.

And, lastly, yes there are 150 dollar blow dryers, 150 dollar flat irons....ask any hair stylist how much theirs cost? To a thief, anything will sale!

I can't imagine anyone filing a claim against their homeowners insurance for something like this. First, I'd have to be replacing many, many, many iPads to even meet my deductible. And in a lot of places, your insurance premium following a claim will likely jump way more than if you just replace the silly thing.

I can't imagine anyone filing a claim against their homeowners insurance for something like this. First, I'd have to be replacing many, many, many iPads to even meet my deductible. And in a lot of places, your insurance premium following a claim will likely jump way more than if you just replace the silly thing.

To keep my premiums ultra cheap (read, more reasonable) my deductible is $1000.00. An Ipad2 is advertised as $499.00 at the Apple store.

You are right about the possibility of the insurance company raising a premium based on making claims against a policy. There is also a report, think it's called a CLEO or something similar, that insurers run to see your previous claims history.

Obviously, you don't want a lot of claims on this report lest you be denied insurance by other carriers when you are cancelled or want to change policies.

Yes, she always takes out travel insurance. And that is the route we will go when she returns.

Did you buy this for her fairly recently as a gift? Many credit card companies will replace things lost/broken/stolen within a certain time frame after purchase.

Yes... I have called the hotel in New Orleans where she stayed. It was not there, they were very nice.

Maybe the hotel staff took the ipad and books when cleaning the room and they are not being truthful. That makes much more sense to me than a porter taking books. Or maybe she left it in the transportation she used to get to the ship.

We have had all sorts of stuff stolen. From nightgowns, to flat irons to cheap curlers.. Bad people see something, and they take it.

I have stayed in hotels, motels, hostels (from 1* to 5*) & campgrounds all over the world and have never had anything stolen. You would think that campgrounds would be the most likely place to have things stolen, since most things are left out in the open for anyone to take.

It sounds like you accidentally leave things behind and then say they must have been stolen when the items can't be found. I really can't believe anyone would take a nightgown, cheap curlers and paperback books.

When unpacking from different trips I have noticed that I didn't have a shirt, books or tapes (pre-CD). Instead of immediately saying they were stolen, I remembered I accidentally left them near my suitcase and forgot to pack them. :eek::mad: Maybe your mom thought she packed the Ipad, but didn't.

To keep my premiums ultra cheap (read, more reasonable) my deductible is $1000.00. An Ipad2 is advertised as $499.00 at the Apple store.

You are right about the possibility of the insurance company raising a premium based on making claims against a policy. There is also a report, think it's called a CLEO or something similar, that insurers run to see your previous claims history.

Obviously, you don't want a lot of claims on this report lest you be denied insurance by other carriers when you are cancelled or want to change policies.

I guess "ultra cheap" is a relative term. I recently raised my deductibles to $10k :eek: to lower my premiums, and I've never filed a claim and have perfect credit! But yes, insurers can look and see what you filed and when...

I guess "ultra cheap" is a relative term. I recently raised my deductibles to $10k :eek: to lower my premiums, and I've never filed a claim and have perfect credit! But yes, insurers can look and see what you filed and when...

Whoa....now that's a high deductible!!! Ours is $500 but even the % deductible for tornados and earthquakes don't equate to $10k.

Sorry have not had a chance to get back...

Do not know why thread got closed. This was not a made up story.

My mom parked and rode the shuttle, and just forgot to get it back outta her bag. She usually never does pack any expensive items. She does know better, but this just slipped.

I hear what everyone is saying, and I do agree.

But, I have friends who buy $200 (or more) dollar dresses, or shoes, or dress bag. Are they not supposed to pack those?? Or $100 ties, or $150 blow dryers, or ... see the point? The list can go on and on...

I do not know what the answer is, but I just think businesses should be more responsible and offer better customer service. But, I do realize that will never happen. So in the meantime, she will now leave all her expensive new toys at home. She did not download the app yet to track it, and yes it was an IPAD 2. And, we did not do the passcode lock. Those can be broken easlily anyway.

And safes are never the answer either...

Oh, and did I mention... her new paperbacks also got stolen.

Wow! This is why I bought a cheap notebook computer to travel with. It does not have anything particularly worthwhile on it. Thus if it gets stolen or broken no big loss. I paid $150 for it. I learned the hard way after having my work laptop get the "blue screen of death" twice while on vacation. All it takes is a power surge! Would not be a big problem except I am a self-employed software consultant. So sorry for your mom.

She did not leave it at her house because she was using it at the hotel.

I am fully aware that it is my mom's fault, as she is! But, it is very frustrating when you are expecting a great trip and it starts out so disapointing.

Safes are "supposed" to be safe... I do always use them. But, I have been at hotels (NYC) and the night clerk came up to the room to open our safe. Not security... and he just removed the cover and stuck a stick kinda thing in it and the door released..

She usually takes the stuff with her, or hides it very well in the room.

I think the IPAD and book were on the outside compartment of her bag, and someone felt it and chose to do the wrong thing. I do believe what goes around...

She did report it to Carnival security, and they said they were not responsible.

And, lastly, yes there are 150 dollar blow dryers, 150 dollar flat irons....ask any hair stylist how much theirs cost? To a thief, anything will sale!

Yes, I can vouch for $150 blow dryers and flat irons.

OP - So do you think Carnival should replace it?

1. I'm glad that I have not succumbed to that piece of electronics. (one less thing for me to worry about, keep charged, break, lose, get stolen)

2. If it had stayed in the bag all the way to the room, it might have been broken - so double check & don't pack electronics

3. $150 for a blow dryer - I never would have guessed!

So who would take a $150 blow dryer on vacation??? The same person who might put it in checked luggage?? Not use safes??

The world of traveling has changed. If you are traveling on any kind of mass transportation you need to pack like it. You need to protect yourself and your belongings. Leave your valuables at home or carry them on your person if you MUST have them. No excuses.

So who would take a $150 blow dryer on vacation??? The same person who might put it in checked luggage?? Not use safes??.

The average thief wouldn't know a Chi from a Conair. I took my $130 travel T3 on a cruise. Put it in my checked luggage and left it out in a drawer. :p

Anyone who pays $150 for a blow dryer has overpaid by at LEAST $100. I work for a company that manufactures blow dryers. Trust me, the technology is the same in every single one - and the cheap ones last just as long as the expensive ones. I never understood why people think a fancy name and expensive price means "better". lol

Anyway, back to the Ipad issue- is it possible that when the luggage was delivered to the hallway, some passenger with sticky fingers didn't dip into her bag before she took it into her room? :confused:

Archived