Just Back Freedom Western 9/4 Sailing

cot427

I just got back from the Freedom of the Seas 9/4-9/11 sailing. As I usually do, I thought I would post a little reaction/review of the ship, although not as in depth as I normally do (trying to catch up with school & work). And of course, I will answer any questions that you may have for me!!

Captain: Rob Hempstead - We sailed with him on the Grandeur and he is hilarious. By far my favorite and most memorable captain so far. He often referenced Carnival ships as the Carnival Irritation or Exaspiration.

Cruise Director: Graham Seymour - This was my 3rd time sailing with Graham, sailing once before on the Navigator and Independence, and he is fantastic. Although not as apparent around the ship like Jimmy Rhodes was on Explorer, Graham is the man when it comes to entertaining his cruisers. I believe it was his first week back, but he did not miss a beat. His morning shows were by far the best shows. He was informative, yet funny and entertaining. He was also our late night Comedian, and he can also sing!! Well rounded cruise director right here!

Day 1 - Embarkation at Port Canaveral: The process was very easy at the pier. We hired a private transportation company named Sunrise Florida Transportation. They were at the airport waiting for us, we got our bags quickly, and we were off to the ship a little after 10. We arrived to the port around 11ish and walked straight through security, which was right as you walk in to the port terminal. (No line at all). Then we walked upstairs to check in and waited in a line behind maybe 2 couples for the Diamond check in and then walked right onto the ship! It was a very easy process.

The rest of the day went as expected, checking out our main dining room table as we boarded, lunch in the windjammer, exploring the ship, muster, dinner, and then the show.

Day 2 - At Sea - Highlights for today included the Port and Shopping show (we did not go to, having been through that before), World's Sexiest Man, 3-D movie, 2 ice shows, captains reception, Formal night with the Marquee showtime, and Battle of the Sexes.

Day 3 - Labadee - This was the first time I visited since the new building of the dock and the renovations. Labadee is now extremely nice. We headed to Nellie's Beach, a recommendation by the shuttle driver. This was in view of the ship, the next beach over to the private Golden suite guests beach. The beach was small, quiet, and the water was nice and clear and smooth (rather than other side being rough and rocky) The shopping area is very nice as well, greatly expanded, but I do not enjoy bartering (I hate to say no). One disappointment was the food. The food areas were overcrowded, not set up well, ran out of most of the items by 1pm, and ran out of ice as well. Next time I would go back to the ship and eat. Also, tonight was Smart Casual night, with the show being the Now You See it Illusion Show, which was fantastic. And then the Dancing in the Street 70s Disco and then Late Night Comedy.

Day 4 - Falmouth - The port area is up and coming with new shops. They are trying to make it, but I don't know if this is going to be a hit. We took a tour through Royal caribbean, the Falmouth and Montego Bay Sightseeing tour. It was the worst tour in all of my cruising. We were told basic information as we left Falmouth, and then we passed dozens of hotels and all inclusives, then we went to 2 shopping areas (malls). It did not say shopping in the description at all, so this made many of the people mad. Then we went to Pier one for a tasting of Jamaican coffee and banana bread, both which I could have done without. Then we left back to the ship, and passed some expensive houses along the way. Tonight was Casual, with Freedom-Ice.com as the main show, the dancing under the stars an the love and marriage show.

Day 5 - Grand Cayman - I have been here a few times, so all we did was walk around, hit Margaritaville, and then go back to the ship. Others in my group enjoyed 7 Mile Beach. Tonight was the 2nd Formal night, with the show Once Upon a Time, a comedy musical about fairytales, which was very good. I've seen this before, but it seems they changed a few things and I enjoyed it.

Day 6 - Cozumel - This was my 7th time to Cozumel, so we wanted to try something different. We did the Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim. It was a very nice excursion. We got to interact with the Dolphins for about an hour, and then even interact with a Manatee. We then bought the photo CD there for $100, however they have several packages, but that was the cheapest. We opted not to stay at the Chakannab park and head back to the ship. Tonight was Casual, with the Headliner being Billy Richards' Coasters. This was not my kind of show, so I decided to do the rest of my onboard shopping while the rest of the party attended the show. They also had The Quest on this night, as well as 80s Dancing.

Day 7 - At Sea - Last chance to get everything you wanted to do in before you leave : ( or last chance to just relax. Everyday we had perfect weather, and this was no exception. After the Past Guests Breakfast on Deck 5 dining room (We dined with the Asst. Hotel Director), we went to the pool and watched some line dancing and the belly flop. They also at FreedomFest in the Promenade, where the chefs bring out even more food (like we haven't had enough already) and there are musicians playing and stuff. Tonight they did 2 farewell variety showtimes, including a comedian, singing by Graham, and then Acrobats Agnes and Peter. After the show, we went to the Majority Rules Gameshow, then off to bed.

Again, if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!!

Also, one thing I found interesting. When you get to your stateroom at the beginning of the sailing, they now have all the beds together with a note saying that evening, they separate them if you require them separated. This seems like a lot of extra work to me, especially if you have it saved in your preferences that you require separate beds. (And since I stay with my Grandma in a connecting room to my parents, the obvious age difference would say something).

Same thing with the ice, there is a note saying to tell your attendant if you need ice for the week. We did not tell him, but after the first night there was nice every day.

So just something new with different notes around the cabin :p

I just got back from the Freedom of the Seas 9/4-9/11 sailing. As I usually do, I thought I would post a little reaction/review of the ship, although not as in depth as I normally do (trying to catch up with school & work). And of course, I will answer any questions that you may have for me!!

Captain: Rob Hempstead - We sailed with him on the Grandeur and he is hilarious. By far my favorite and most memorable captain so far. He often referenced Carnival ships as the Carnival Irritation or Exaspiration.

Cruise Director: Graham Seymour - This was my 3rd time sailing with Graham, sailing once before on the Navigator and Independence, and he is fantastic. Although not as apparent around the ship like Jimmy Rhodes was on Explorer, Graham is the man when it comes to entertaining his cruisers. I believe it was his first week back, but he did not miss a beat. His morning shows were by far the best shows. He was informative, yet funny and entertaining. He was also our late night Comedian, and he can also sing!! Well rounded cruise director right here!

Day 1 - Embarkation at Port Canaveral: The process was very easy at the pier. We hired a private transportation company named Sunrise Florida Transportation. They were at the airport waiting for us, we got our bags quickly, and we were off to the ship a little after 10. We arrived to the port around 11ish and walked straight through security, which was right as you walk in to the port terminal. (No line at all). Then we walked upstairs to check in and waited in a line behind maybe 2 couples for the Diamond check in and then walked right onto the ship! It was a very easy process.

The rest of the day went as expected, checking out our main dining room table as we boarded, lunch in the windjammer, exploring the ship, muster, dinner, and then the show.

Day 2 - At Sea - Highlights for today included the Port and Shopping show (we did not go to, having been through that before), World's Sexiest Man, 3-D movie, 2 ice shows, captains reception, Formal night with the Marquee showtime, and Battle of the Sexes.

Day 3 - Labadee - This was the first time I visited since the new building of the dock and the renovations. Labadee is now extremely nice. We headed to Nellie's Beach, a recommendation by the shuttle driver. This was in view of the ship, the next beach over to the private Golden suite guests beach. The beach was small, quiet, and the water was nice and clear and smooth (rather than other side being rough and rocky) The shopping area is very nice as well, greatly expanded, but I do not enjoy bartering (I hate to say no). One disappointment was the food. The food areas were overcrowded, not set up well, ran out of most of the items by 1pm, and ran out of ice as well. Next time I would go back to the ship and eat. Also, tonight was Smart Casual night, with the show being the Now You See it Illusion Show, which was fantastic. And then the Dancing in the Street 70s Disco and then Late Night Comedy.

Day 4 - Falmouth - The port area is up and coming with new shops. They are trying to make it, but I don't know if this is going to be a hit. We took a tour through Royal caribbean, the Falmouth and Montego Bay Sightseeing tour. It was the worst tour in all of my cruising. We were told basic information as we left Falmouth, and then we passed dozens of hotels and all inclusives, then we went to 2 shopping areas (malls). It did not say shopping in the description at all, so this made many of the people mad. Then we went to Pier one for a tasting of Jamaican coffee and banana bread, both which I could have done without. Then we left back to the ship, and passed some expensive houses along the way. Tonight was Casual, with Freedom-Ice.com as the main show, the dancing under the stars an the love and marriage show.

Day 5 - Grand Cayman - I have been here a few times, so all we did was walk around, hit Margaritaville, and then go back to the ship. Others in my group enjoyed 7 Mile Beach. Tonight was the 2nd Formal night, with the show Once Upon a Time, a comedy musical about fairytales, which was very good. I've seen this before, but it seems they changed a few things and I enjoyed it.

Day 6 - Cozumel - This was my 7th time to Cozumel, so we wanted to try something different. We did the Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim. It was a very nice excursion. We got to interact with the Dolphins for about an hour, and then even interact with a Manatee. We then bought the photo CD there for $100, however they have several packages, but that was the cheapest. We opted not to stay at the Chakannab park and head back to the ship. Tonight was Casual, with the Headliner being Billy Richards' Coasters. This was not my kind of show, so I decided to do the rest of my onboard shopping while the rest of the party attended the show. They also had The Quest on this night, as well as 80s Dancing.

Day 7 - At Sea - Last chance to get everything you wanted to do in before you leave : ( or last chance to just relax. Everyday we had perfect weather, and this was no exception. After the Past Guests Breakfast on Deck 5 dining room (We dined with the Asst. Hotel Director), we went to the pool and watched some line dancing and the belly flop. They also at FreedomFest in the Promenade, where the chefs bring out even more food (like we haven't had enough already) and there are musicians playing and stuff. Tonight they did 2 farewell variety showtimes, including a comedian, singing by Graham, and then Acrobats Agnes and Peter. After the show, we went to the Majority Rules Gameshow, then off to bed.

Again, if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!!

I see you have done quite a few Caribbean Cruises both Eastern and Western. Do you prefer the ports on the Eastern better? We just booked the Western on the Allure. Thanks!!

Sailing on FOS Nov 27 and appreciate your post!

1. Since you have been to ports several times, what what are your other fun things to do in Cozumel (we're not shoppers).

2. Have you done Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica? Comments?

3. How was Main dining room food vs. specialty restaurants?

4. Did MDR serve surf & turf? If so, what night (so we don't reserve a specialty restaurant that night)?

Thanks so much!

Are there stores open in Falmouth, or do they still have stands set up outside of the buildings? If there are indoor stores open, what types of shops are they?

There are several stores that are open. I know I walked into 2 basic type souvenir stores that had mugs, t-shirts, etc. But then yes, there were a lot of local vendors under a few pavilions that had wood carvings, artwork, bracelets, etc. I believe that Diamonds International is still being constructed as well as another store/building.

I see you have done quite a few Caribbean Cruises both Eastern and Western. Do you prefer the ports on the Eastern better? We just booked the Western on the Allure. Thanks!!

Yes, you are right. I prefer the Eastern sight better compared to the Western side, however they are quite different. The Eastern side is a bit 'nicer' and more well off than the Western. The shopping is more expensive, but the islands are prettier, imo. The Western has more active and adventurous ports. There are a lot of water related excursions that are popular, but then again the islands are a lot poorer (besides Grand Cayman, but Allure does not sail there.)

I do like Labadee though for a beach day. They really improved it and it is just nice to step off the ship and go straight to a beach chair and relax on the beach, without the hassle of having to get a taxi.

Sailing on FOS Nov 27 and appreciate your post!

1. Since you have been to ports several times, what what are your other fun things to do in Cozumel (we're not shoppers).

During last week's cruise, it was my 7th time to Cozumel, so I've done Cozumel extensively, especially lately. Other than shopping, which you don't want, you can take a taxi and go to one of the many beaches to the right of the port. There are many that are free, some you pay for chairs, there are a few that you can get a bracelet and includes the chair, drinks all day, etc. And then one time we did an all inclusive day pass (I totally forget the name of the resort, so forgive me) but that also includes the food as well as the drinks, pool, nice facilities, etc.

There are many water-based excursions to choose from that are ship sponsored. I just did the Dolphin Push Pull and Swim, and that was fantastic, I highly recommend that. Many people like to snorkel or scuba there.

And finally you can just get a taxi and he will right you around the island, (shopping), and take you to the beach, and then take you back to the ship. We had 4 in our group do this last week,and it was $25 a person they said, and the driver was very good about the sights of the island and informative.

2. Have you done Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica? Comments?

Our intention in Jamaica was to do the Dunn's River Falls. Some other family members told us to definitely do it, but then we spoke to various CREW members and they said it is not worth it, especially if you go late. They said it gets crowded, and you are basically pushed up the side, nagged by locals to by their wears, and then that's it. But then again a lot of other people had a good time. (I'm sure it would have been better than the tour we decided to take though.)

3. How was Main dining room food vs. specialty restaurants?

The main dining room food was good. I tend to order my favorites all the time, and pretty much stick to seafood the whole week since it's something I don't eat often at home. But we did try Chops during a night when the menu was the worst, in our opinion, and Chops was amazing. The food and service in Chops is exceptional. Appetizers are things you cannot order in the MDR such as oysters duet, goat cheese and basil souffle, etc. The steak is the best steak I've ever had, and I am not a steak eater. I eat steak maybe 4 times a year.

4. Did MDR serve surf & turf? If so, what night (so we don't reserve a specialty restaurant that night)?

Okay, I know a lot of people get confused about this. Surf and Turf is NOT the lobster night. Surf and Turf is steak and shrimp, and I believe it was Wednesday, but I'm not positive on that.

Lobster night (Fisherman's plate) was Thursday I believe, during the second formal night. However I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the day.

Thanks so much!

We did Dunns River Falls in '93 on our honeymoon.

I wasn't fond of the 'human chain' at first, but was glad to have it. Luckily the guides know where to go, some places you can't see where you're stepping.

I'm glad I did it and don't have to do it again.

That water is COLD!!! :eek:

but...like I said...to experience it once, was good!

I've done Dunns River Falls twice, many years ago barefoot, and about 15 years ago in sneakers.....WEAR SNEAKERS.

The second time, a crew guy that came in on our tender got into an argument with the guys in Dunns River shirts who guide you up the falls. He followed us up the falls, and the two got into a fist fight and abandoned us. There we were, a half dozen close to middle aged women. We made it up, but the secret to doing it safely is to have a guide at the head of your chain. They know exactly where to go, zigzagging across the falls.

In spite of all this, I think everybody in reasonable health should do it at least once. Again, WEAR SNEAKERS!!!!!!!!!

Yes...don't forget waterproof camera and aquasocks (or...old sneakers you don't mind getting wet). You'll need the traction!

I checked their website....my how the price has gone up! It's like $15US to climb the falls now.

When we went, it was like $3US. :eek:

smiley-laughing002.gif

Yeah like I said I've heard many people who loved the Dunn's River Falls and many people who did not. I guess its one of those things that people tend to disagree upon, like food in the MDR lol. I would say that if you do not have anything else you want to do on Jamaica, do Dunns River. Sightseeing is pointless and so is shopping, so if there are no other excursions that you see, Dunns River would be the best option.

The transportation company was absolutely wonderful. We always luck out picking them. (Usually fly into FLL and we have a regular company we use there) This was the first time we used Sunrise Florida Transportation and they were wonderful. From the time I made the reservation to the time they dropped us off to go home, they did not disappoint. They were always very prompt answering my emails. The driver was at baggage claim when we got there with a sign with my name on it, and then the van was just outside the door after an elevator ride down. One the way back the driver called various times to check and see if we were ready (unfortunately we waited a while for someone's bag that never made it out). He got us to the airport and we made our flight on time after that little incident.

I definitely recommend them. Here is their website: http://www.transportationflorida.com/

We did Dunns River falls. I would never do it again. we did Mayfield falls and loved it much better. The only problem is the scary drive up the mountain. My husband said he wasn't scared, though. Our driver was very careful. I'll never forget my son relaxing floating in the springs.He really enjoyed it. I want to go again. We will probably get private driver instead of cruise line.

The transportation company was absolutely wonderful. We always luck out picking them. (Usually fly into FLL and we have a regular company we use there) This was the first time we used Sunrise Florida Transportation and they were wonderful. From the time I made the reservation to the time they dropped us off to go home, they did not disappoint. They were always very prompt answering my emails. The driver was at baggage claim when we got there with a sign with my name on it, and then the van was just outside the door after an elevator ride down. One the way back the driver called various times to check and see if we were ready (unfortunately we waited a while for someone's bag that never made it out). He got us to the airport and we made our flight on time after that little incident.

I definitely recommend them. Here is their website: http://www.transportationflorida.com/

Thanks for the reply....We will be using Sunrise for our trip.....Thanks again

OP- Did you pre-book any shows and if you did how was it and if you didn't, did you find it hard to get a descent seat?

Yes, we pre-booked all of our shows...that's part of the excitement. I love getting things together and organizaing and planning for the cruise, so of course I prebooked the shows. It is a very easy process online, and for Freedom its easier than Oasis since you usually have one type of show to choose from a night.

They open the doors 45 minutes before showtime for people with reservations and then 15 minutes before showtime for people without reservations. We usually got there around a half hour before and it wasn't a problem finding seats at all, except for the ice show. Even going a half hour early for the primetime 9:00 show, the seats were pretty much all taken.

If you do not want to make reservations for all shows, at least make one for the ice show, especially if you want the Ice Show on the day it is the main show for the evening.

Thanks for the reply....We will be using Sunrise for our trip.....Thanks again

No problem!

We have pre-booked the ice show. Last year they didn't offer any pre-booking and we did alright on all shows but do to this being new I didn't know how the theater filled up. Thanks for the info. I was in awe on Freedom last year and looking forward to knowing where I'm going this time around and the coolness of that ship.

Thanks for the review.

We will be on the freedom on November 13th

Do you know if they had the cooler of beer on your sailing?

Thank You

If you are talking about the blue/yellow soft cooler of beer with the strap, I don't believe they did. I know my parents bought one during one of our previous cruises and took it on and they filled it for them at the package price, but I think I remember them saying people around them at the pool were jealous of it.

Thanks for your report, it is so easy to read. I have three questions:

1. What dock does the Freedom use in Cozumel - the dock in town or the International dock?

2. Quest is on day 6 - Cozumel. What time does the show begin?

3. Love and Marriage show is on day 4 - Jamaica. What time does the show begin?

I have booked my shows but it would seem I have conflicts with other stuff I'd like to do! Any more info you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thx. :)

Archived