Ft. Lauderdale Beach or Hollywood Beach?

Ptown

I've been sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale a couple of times a year for the last several years. I enjoy Ft. Lauderdale beach area because everthing is so close (airport, beach, ship terminal) and it's easy to get around using the Sun Trolly or short cab rides. Have typically stayed on the beach or 17th. St. Here's my question. How does Hollywood Beach compare to Ft. Lauderdale Beach? Will be spending a couple of days post cruise in Jan. and the Diplomat and Weston are coming up on Hotwire for a decent price. My DW and I stayed at the golf resort last Spring. It was a nice place but not much to do that was close by. My DW is in a wheelchair. We did go down to the shopping center several blocks away but did not take the shuttle to the beach. It will be my DB and me this time and I have heard great things about the Boardwalk. Is it similar to Ft. Lauderdale Beach front? I see that they now have a Hollywood Sun Trolley. Is the Boardwalk within walking distance from the Weston or Diplomat and if not does the Sun Trolley run by the hotels? Would like to check the area out with my DB to see if it is do-able for my DW this Spring. Any input both good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave :)

Just for clarification sake, the Westin and the Diplomat are the same place. It's actually the Westin Diplomat. The Crowne Plaza is across the road and south of the Diplomat (next to the lift bridge), and is quite often on Hotwire as well. We stayed there this past January, and it's a nice hotel. Nice pool area overlooking the intracoastal waterway.

Anyway, the area is very built up with condo towers. Not really much to see in the immediate area. I guess you will be able to judge how your wife will deal when you see the area for yourself. It's about a mile and change north of the DiplomaBroadwalk starts (Jefferson St looks to be about the southern end of the beachfront walkway). The road the Diplomat is on basically looks over the intracoastal waterway once you go a bit north of the hotel, and the condos and hotels are between the road and beach.

Personally I much prefer the Fort Lauderdale beachfront area to the Hollywood Broadwalk. I've only been to the Broadwalk a couple of times (in the evening) for dinner but didn't like it either time. We experienced mediocre food, horrible service, lack of parking, and aggressive hosts. Maybe it's different in the daytime. The Diplomat is a very nice hotel though, perhaps the nicest in the county.

Hollywood Beach used to be one of my favorite places anywhere about ten years ago. I loved the old Mirador Motel, The Seagate, Greenbriar Beach Resort, and the Holiday Inn. The Mirador and Seagate are dilapitaded and the Greenbriar and Holiday Inn have been torn down (hate you Donald Trump!! That was the best tiki bar anywhere!!).

The town just has too much of a disconnect feel for me now. I love the Diplomat and a couple of the motels on South Surf but I mourn the old Hollywood Beach. What has become of the Ramada is shameful.

I agree for you and your husband with mobility issues, Ft.Lauderdale Beach would be the best choice. I personally love The W and the Mar Lago.

Thank you all for the info and thanks Dan for the correction. (Don't know why I was thinking Crown Plaza as I typed Westin :D) My DW and I stayed at the W on Ft. Lauderdale Beach pre-cruise last spring and had no problem getting around. Sounds like we will stick with Fort Lauderdale Beach area.

I'm getting the idea that for Hollywood, you should just enjoy the "resort" experience. The Golf Resort was very beautiful and not crowded at all. Just wish we had more options for dining.

Thanks again,

Dave :)

For me, I hate to be stuck anywhere. I usually like to have a rental car, and I found this especially true when we stayed at the Crowne Plaza (even though we had to pay for parking, which one also would at the Diplomat). Unless I arrive at a hotel in the evening, I just can't see plopping myself down and sitting there for the day, even at a place as nice as the Diplomat. And the difference in prices at the hotel restaurants compared to other local restaurants just beyond comfortable walking distance probably paid for the car anyway LOL. Also, while it was warm around town, when we got out to the hotel, it was a little cool and windy, so I'm not sure I would have been up for sitting out on the beach too long anyway (this was in January so it is hit or miss).

For me, I hate to be stuck anywhere. I usually like to have a rental car, and I found this especially true when we stayed at the Crowne Plaza (even though we had to pay for parking, which one also would at the Diplomat). Unless I arrive at a hotel in the evening, I just can't see plopping myself down and sitting there for the day, even at a place as nice as the Diplomat. And the difference in prices at the hotel restaurants compared to other local restaurants just beyond comfortable walking distance probably paid for the car anyway LOL. Also, while it was warm around town, when we got out to the hotel, it was a little cool and windy, so I'm not sure I would have been up for sitting out on the beach too long anyway (this was in January so it is hit or miss).

Archived