SJ Suites--Star specifically!

mom58

I'm trying to figure out whether to spring for the SC (family penthouse) or the SJ (Deluxe Owner's Suite) on the Star. We'll be 6 people, 2 adults, 4 teenage girls.

I know about the family penthouse, having stayed in one on the Pearl.

What I'd like to know about the SC is the bed configurations. I'm guessing 2 for the Queen, 2 for the sofa bed . . . but what about the other two? Does anyone know/have pics? If there are rollaways, does the steward put them away each day? I really don't want to look at those all day!

I know we'll only have one bathroom & no balcony in the SC, but there's a pretty significant difference in price.

Any advice/hints will be appreciated!

We were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star last week. The 2 on the outside, 12502 and 12002, only sleep 4 (2 in BR and 2 on sofa bed). The 2 on the inside 12500 and 1200 have a bedroom forward with the front wall of windows, and a living room with windows (although a pillar divides the view) which has a sofa bed and a small bedroom near the door this a sofa bed in it. The new family suites are one large room with one wall all of glass and a sofa bed with a murphy bed on/in the wall opposite the sofa bed. There are curtains that can be pulled to section-off all three sleeping areas.

After seeing the 2 bedroom DOS and the family suite, I would go with the family suite because it seems more open when not sleeping and can be sectioned off, as needed, when sleeping. The only advantage I can think of the DOS over the family suite is the 3 bottles of booze.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

So the suites with the bedroom still don't have the additional bathroom the SC does, right? I think the additional bathroom would be a good idea for 6 ladies!

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

So the suites with the bedroom still don't have the additional bathroom the SC does, right? I think the additional bathroom would be a good idea for 6 ladies!

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes, there is a small bathroom in the spare bedroom on the DOS, like the SC. I had forgotten about those deck 11 suites. That's a toss-up between the SC and SJ. The extra bathroom would be worth it with all those ladies!

Truthfully, I would take the SC over the 2-bedroom DOS. The 2 bedroom DOS doesn't have much window space outside the master bedroom because of the piller and doesn't have a balcony. I would also take the SC over the SJ because of the extra bathroom. However, I think the outboard, 1 bedroom DOS are fantastic! They offer wrap-around panoramic views, but would not work for your situation. Good luck!

You're definitely on the right track with the 2 bathrooms :)

I'm leaning toward the SC still, and I really appreciate your input. I think we would miss a balcony. Plus, there are cabins above and below Deck 11, I think, which is usually a plus in my opinion.

Ask any questions! It is perfect for you. You will need the 2 bathrooms.

These suites come with priority EVERYTHING.

Ask the butler right away for the egg crate foamy thingy for the pull outs, they really do the trick. The steward will make up the room each day however you request.

I would prefer the outside DOS if there were just 2 of us, but that extra bathroom is great! The views are wonderful.

The hangers rattle around with ship movement, take some duct tape to wrangle them.

Have a great trip!

So, Valleyvillage, do you have any pictures of that suite. Which one did you have?

We're talking about category SA, right? I've seen some pics of the extra bedroom (which is really just a sofabed?), but none of the extra bathroom. Is it a full bath, or just a 1/2?

So many decisions; so much fun deciding!

So, Valleyvillage, do you have any pictures of that suite. Which one did you have?

We're talking about category SA, right? I've seen some pics of the extra bedroom (which is really just a sofabed?), but none of the extra bathroom. Is it a full bath, or just a 1/2?

So many decisions; so much fun deciding!

Sorry, did not take pix. I have seen somewhere on this board a bunch of pix, one guy even did a floorplan. Cannot find it, some threads have removed the pix.

You enter through a small inner foyer leading off the main hall. If you had both 12000 and 12002 booked then you would probably have the whole foyer to yourself!

Right as you enter there is a closet on the left, shelves. Almost immediately on the right is the dining table and chairs. Straight ahead is the second bedroom. It is small and when the sofabed is open it takes up the whole room. It has its own Television and DVD player. There is a small bathroom with a nice shower and toilet and sink. It's perfectly fine!

The rest of the living room is taken up with the sofa and coffee table, there are two picture windows, floor to ceiling. They are kind of narrow, but the room is far from claustrophobic!

There is also an entertainment center with DVD player, iPod dock, etc.

To the left are more closets and the master bath.

It's incredible.

It has its own TV, whirlpool tub, full shower with wand and overhead rainshower. Two sinks. Separate toilet.

The master bedroom is huge, lots of families set it up as their main sleeping room with the king bed and some rollaways. They can tuck into the space where the big picture windows meet the floor. Lots of options.

You might try searching for those plans and pics...I have to say it is not a photogenic suite. The pix I saw had all the beds and rollaways open. But it really is a lovely suite.

Whatever you do, enjoy!:D

Here's the link to the photos and I rough layout of suite 12000 I did a while back (WARNING: I'm no artist and the layout is ROUGH!!!):

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579322286zZFyoG

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186459&d=1298758121

We found the suite wonderful. On the downside the second bedroom only has a hide-a-bed with no pull down. When pulled out the room is wall-to-wall bed. There is no room to walk around the bed, and you'll disturb the other person in bed getting in and out. Even the living room hide-a-bed leaves little room to get around. The perks though were wonderful. We were a party of 4 and found the space perfect, and it provided plenty of privacy for each of us. The second bathroom proved very helpful. As previously mentioned you'll want an egg crate for the hide-a-bed matresses. Another option is to place a roll away in the master and/or dining room. If you run a search thru previous post for snowmom you'll see her pictures where they took that option.

I'm currently booked for a SJ in March for three of us, and I'm really looking forwarding to this visit. In comparing the price and space I don't think it can be beat. Considering you can divide the areas off with drapery I think we'll each have "our space". Plus there's a public bathroom near to make up for the second bathroom.

When Hikini comes on line she'll be able to provide you a lot more information about the SJ suites.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

We have stayed in the SJ's on the Star twice and have truly loved them both times. The first time we had 3 ladies and 2 men and this past time we had 2 ladies and 2 men. Even for the bathroom, we were never in each others way. Part of the reason is there is a nice space in the main part of the suite that works great for getting ready. The blow drier is anchored there and there is light and a big mirror, so this can be the hair and make-up station for at least 2 people at a time.

Also, if someone isn't using the toilet or showering and needs privacy, there are 2 sinks on a long counter along with a mirror along the whole wall for more space to get ready.

In-between the bathroom and the main part of the suite there is a closet area with a pocket door. As long as the person in the bathroom knows that this space is being occupied for a few minutes, there is plenty of space there for someone to get dressed or undressed in the closet area.

If someone is using the toilet or shower and someone else needs to "go" you can go up to the public restroom in the elevator lobby on 13. Easy!

If you see pictures of a family suite you will likely see curtains that look like they obstruct some of the view. We take tie-backs along and get on a chair to unhook the curtains from the middle, sliding them all the way back to the sides and tying them back. No more obstruction - works great! Then you have a wall of windows and it's wonderful!

We have an SJ on the Star January 8. I have never cruised in a suite before, and was frustrated at the lack of photos. If you go to You Tube, you can search Norwegian Star Family Suites, and a family who cruised Alaska this past summer did a really nice video tour of one. I can't remember the exact number of the suite, but it is a great way to see what it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Boarded Star today and are currently sitting in our amazing SJ 12526 looking out at beautiful Vancouver. Hikini this suite is everything you said! Thank you for all the great tips you've been giving. Can't tell you how happy we are to be here and in this cabin. Wonderful lunch in Cagney's and just enjoyed our afternoon snack in the suite. Gary is our butler and he's been quite good to us already.

Boarded Star today and are currently sitting in our amazing SJ 12526 looking out at beautiful Vancouver. Hikini this suite is everything you said! Thank you for all the great tips you've been giving. Can't tell you how happy we are to be here and in this cabin. Wonderful lunch in Cagney's and just enjoyed our afternoon snack in the suite. Gary is our butler and he's been quite good to us already.

Please take very good care of this room. Booked for 11/13/11. If you take pics, please post a review with pics. Thank you. Have a wonderful cruise.

Oh, you're making me SO homesick for the Star! We were in 12022 so just down the hall a couple rooms from you. I'm so glad you are happy, but then I knew you would be! Did you bring tie backs for the curtains?

Gary is great. We found him to be very personable. He told us that every night before he goes to bed he is able to Skype with his wife and young son. He buys minutes and I think he said it costs him about $20 for 200 minutes. Something like that.

I can visualize everything in the room and I can visualize Cagney's. If you see Rocky, please tell him hello from us. (The Foster Family from 2 weeks ago.) He is a dear! And Mary Rose, the hostess (most of the time) at Cagney's, please tell her hi from my DH. She named him Mr. Circus Man. If you say hi from Mr. Circus Man she will know. We left the Star 2 weeks ago today.

I would imagine you guys are having a meet and greet? Please say hi to Valley village too - I hope you guys have the greatest time of your life!

Hopefully most of the staff is the same for you - Jaime was the cruise director and I really liked her. She wasn't loud and out there, but was very present and had a nice, easy sense of humor. Not brash.

I recommend going to the presentation "how to run a floating hotel". That was offered on the next to last day of our cruise. I hope the hypnotist is on board too - he was terrific! OK, I"ll stop now. Jealous of you and wishing you the best!

Please take very good care of this room. Booked for 11/13/11. If you take pics, please post a review with pics. Thank you. Have a wonderful cruise.

You will not be sorry you booked this cabin! It's pouring rain in Nanaimo today and I don't even care. Taking a quick buzz around town on the shuttle then heading back to our lovely cabin to be lazy all day.

Hikini we followed all your tips, brought the tiebacks and have a wide open view out those beautiful windows. We will definitely say hi to all your friends for you.

Also to onlysister, I have taken pics of our suite but don't know how to upload from my iPhone so will post for you when I get home.

You will not be sorry you booked this cabin! It's pouring rain in Nanaimo today and I don't even care. Taking a quick buzz around town on the shuttle then heading back to our lovely cabin to be lazy all day.

That's what we have found with this suite as well - we love spending time in the room, just enjoying the view and the comfort. We heard that's part of the reason they are moving the Star off the AK route and into warmer climates. To get people out of the suites and out by the pool so they buy more drinks! :rolleyes:

Aaaaawwwww, we are surely going to miss our Star!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we are in 12508 in Dec., and the pictures I have seen show very muted colors on the walls and floors, not the same as NCL's photos of the cabin. Are they drab??

I'm used to all the colorful cabins and public areas. It will be different if there is no color.

Archived