Best Month

Brisbanelionsfan

Yes I would like a river cruise. presumably coming from Amsterdam and going south. There are some going into Black Sea...

So Northern Europe.... I'd say August high 60/20s . September starting to cool off low 60s/20s. July can be very hot. But I've been in Amsterdam in a freezing week in July - lucky shops had sale of warm clothes. Crowds in Leiden Platz were in Ski gear.

So take warm stuff as well....

Amsterdam needs a couple of days - the Reijks museum - the Rembrandt Night Watch etc - I never realised how BIG those painting are... His own house full of lovely etchings.... Van Gogh - the Anne Frank house - get there early - I gave up on the queue....

Ask the cruise people re expected weather etc....

- the Anne Frank house - get there early - I gave up on the queue....

Ask the cruise people re expected weather etc....

You can avoid the queue by securing a reservation online in advance, 10E.

Weather stats are at weatherunderground.com. We like the off season due to lack of crowds and fewer boats on the river. October would be nice perhaps, we go mid to late November or early December for the markets.

There are theme cruises which might be of interest as well as considering itineraries. In November, we are on a wine cruise with AMA. Great ports (Remich to Amsterdam) and lots of vineyards and tastings.:)

Like you, we have been on ocean cruises. Tuesday we leave for our first river cruise and will be on AMA. We like to travel in September because crowds as less, as kids are back in school. We will be traveling from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam. I have been watching the weater and it seems that it will be in the 60's all along the way. We are packing for New England fall like weather. Will let you know we return how wonderful the cruise was!

Brisbane - I like Europe in the May/June or Sept/Oct months. Usually the weather is not too cold nor too warm. (Those temps may be close to what the Southern hemisphere has at that time of year as the seasons change?) And like 'Thepoint' said, "We like to travel in September because crowds as less, as kids are back in school." But you never know what Mother Nature has in store....sooo pack with layers and rain gear and be prepared.

I've never done a Christmas Markets tour and that sounds very interesting, cold but interesting. One of these years we will try one.

I've never done a Christmas Markets tour and that sounds very interesting, cold but interesting. One of these years we will try one.

We love the markets in Europe, not for the shopping as we rarely buy anything, but for the festivities, music, food and ambiance.

We have been to Germany and Austria 6x so far for the Christmas markets, two on river cruises. Last year was the most beautiful yet as we had 22 inches of snow! I would suggest extending in Europe on either end or both to get more of a taste of the markets at night when the locals are out enjoying the festivities.

We will just miss the markets this year and are already contemplating next year. We will likely not do a river cruise but fly into one city and out of another and travel by train as that is really our preference. We see a lot that way and have so many favorite places to visit as well as wanting to add new ones.

We love the markets in Europe, not for the shopping as we rarely buy anything, but for the festivities, music, food and ambiance.

We have been to Germany and Austria 6x so far for the Christmas markets, two on river cruises. Last year was the most beautiful yet as we had 22 inches of snow! I would suggest extending in Europe on either end or both to get more of a taste of the markets at night when the locals are out enjoying the festivities.

We will just miss the markets this year and are already contemplating next year. We will likely not do a river cruise but fly into one city and out of another and travel by train as that is really our preference. We see a lot that way and have so many favorite places to visit as well as wanting to add new ones.

Caviargal,

I am very much interested in trying a Christmas Markets cruise one year, hopefully soon. We too like traveling in the Fall/Winter months and hope to maybe see some snow on our November cruise this year on the Danube. Which of the Christmas markets do you prefer, the ones in Germany or eastern Europe (Budapest/Prague areas) along the Danube. Which river port stops are best for the Christmas markets?

Archived