Celebrity Eclipse TA, April 21, 2012 MERGED

Turtles06

would you guys be interested in hiring a cabbie for a private tour? I heard the Kinsale area is really pretty. I'm not into intense either especially after 6 days at sea.

In le havre, we are definitely doing a d-day tour, when we were there before we skipped it and everyone told us how amazing the entire day was.

For the Azores, we will just take it easy and walk around. Having been there before, we know the couple things we want to see, then just back on the ship.

Cork... Well, we don't know. Nothing to intense, but maybe a tour or just a trip for some shopping. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my observation, anything black and sparkly counts for Formal Night wear for women. We can have a bedazzling party onboard if need be. We want you to be comfortable and fabulous.

I have black and sparkly now; I will leave a trail of glitter around the ship! :)

An interesting situation has arisen with my cruise and I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I booked on December 7th, 2011 and paid $999 per person for a Veranda Cabin. I'm a select Captain's Club Member and I booked on-board which means I got upgraded to an "unobstructed" Veranda Room. (Cabin 6003)

Ok, so far, so good - no complaints.

By the luck of the draw, I noticed that on March 7th of 2012, the same category room I booked dropped down to $799 and the Concierge Level was $999

I immediately called Celebrity and sent an e-mail. Today is 3/15 and I never received an e-mail response, but I called them. They are giving me SUCH a run around.

I wanted to see if anyone else ever experienced a similar situation. Any feedback or am I just being a big ole biatch?

An interesting situation has arisen with my cruise and I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I booked on December 7th, 2011 and paid $999 per person for a Veranda Cabin. I'm a select Captain's Club Member and I booked on-board which means I got upgraded to an "unobstructed" Veranda Room. (Cabin 6003)

By the luck of the draw, I noticed that on March 7th of 2012, the same category room I booked dropped down to $799 and the Concierge Level was $999

I immediately called Celebrity and sent an e-mail. Today is 3/15 and I never received an e-mail response, but I called them. They are giving me SUCH a run around.

I wanted to see if anyone else ever experienced a similar situation. Any feedback or am I just being a big ole biatch?

We are new to X, so I can't speak personally to this, but it has been a HUGE subject of discussion on the general Roll Call for our cruise (since prices really did drop). According to folks on the Roll Call, after final payment, if the price of your cabin goes down, X will not refund any money or give you an OBC. Also, it seems you can't even move to a higher category of cabin that now costs the same amount you paid for the lower category; however, if the higher category now costs a dollar more, you can pay the dollar and upgrade. I'm pretty sure this is how people explained it. Certainly makes little sense. (Please don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger. :))

Still, I wouldn't give up on the phone calls. It never hurts to ask nicely, and go up the chain.

LOL thanks for the info (No shots fired!) :D

We are new to X, so I can't speak personally to this, but it has been a HUGE subject of discussion on the general Roll Call for our cruise (since prices really did drop). According to folks on the Roll Call, after final payment, if the price of your cabin goes down, X will not refund any money or give you an OBC. Also, it seems you can't even move to a higher category of cabin that now costs the same amount you paid for the lower category; however, if the higher category now costs a dollar more, you can pay the dollar and upgrade. I'm pretty sure this is how people explained it. Certainly makes little sense. (Please don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger. :))

Still, I wouldn't give up on the phone calls. It never hurts to ask nicely, and go up the chain.

well on this point you are not being a biatch.

Keep calling and insist on the OBC to make up for the difference in fare prices. Doubtful they will refund the difference, but I always love the OBC since it makes life so much nicer.

I know that if you booked with a consolidator like CruCon you can get OBC in those situations.

Don't know what the load is like, but you can also insist on an upgrade to Concierge class, although truth be told, once you are onboard in my experience the only thing you get with Concierge class is fruit and towel animals.

[quote name='OrlandoCruizer']An interesting situation has arisen with my cruise and I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I wanted to see if anyone else ever experienced a similar situation. Any feedback or am I just being a big ole biatch?[/quote]

They will not give you OBC, but call your TA and tell them to sell you a CC room for $1,000. The one dollar over what you previously paid is what you need to move up.

I disagree that CC is just fruit and towel animals. The extra reward point for being CC is worth a lot! Not to mention getting and omelette from room service vs a danish is pretty nice too. We are booked in a CC room and wouldn't downgrade to a standard balcony!

I never book direct with a cruise line (unless it is Carnival, because we are interline) because you always seem to get screwed. Always always always use a TA. We use CruCon for all of our bookings. If you book onboard, transfer that reservation to a TA as soon as you get home, they will go to battle for you so you don't have to.

[quote name='TravelingOx']would you guys be interested in hiring a cabbie for a private tour? I heard the Kinsale area is really pretty. I'm not into intense either especially after 6 days at sea.[/QUOTE]

I will ask my partner see what he wants to do. :)

[quote name='Moobaby214']
I never book direct with a cruise line (unless it is Carnival, because we are interline) because you always seem to get screwed. Always always always use a TA. We use CruCon for all of our bookings. If you book onboard, transfer that reservation to a TA as soon as you get home, they will go to battle for you so you don't have to.

[/quote]

I find the two schools of thought on using TAs fascinating. I am in the other camp -- I like to handle my own reservations and deal directly with the travel providers. We are booked on this crossing thru Pied Piper, which is the first time we've used an agency, but we've done that because it's Pied Piper.

Anyway, plently of good arguments on each side! :)

My biggest problem with not using a TA is the "price match". Carnival itself, not any of CCL's other lines, has a price match system. Regardless of final payment, if the price has dropped, they match it or upgrade or offer OBC, or a mix thereof.

Since we are an airline employee family, we get special rates at resorts. If we don't use a TA, we risk the higher prices and no "bump protection." Since we fly standby, that bump protection is really important.

I would recommend packing tuxedos for the gents. Transatlantic cruises are more formal than 1 week in the Carribbean. There are 3 formal nights and from last year's transatlantic 80% were well attired. Women also looked stunning in their long formal gowns. It adds to everyone's experience when everybody gets into the spirit.

This is also the time to contact your city's police department and inform them of your travel plans and ask that they monitor your house while you are gone.

We let the police where we live know all of our travel plans, who is allowed in the house, and who to contact in an emergency. Then when we are gone, the police will visit the house several times a day, walk the perimeter, search the house for "changes," and sign off that they were there each time. It is a wonderful service offered by them and it is totally free of charge (at least in my city it is).

Plus the cameras around the house are nice too! The cameras send us an email when the motion detectors are set off.

btw, a great packing app for your smart phone is "packing pro." it has pre-made lists or you can make up your own. i think it was only 99cents or 1.99, but so far it has been worth it. :)

[quote name='Moobaby214']This is also the time to contact your city's police department and inform them of your travel plans and ask that they monitor your house while you are gone.

We let the police where we live know all of our travel plans, who is allowed in the house, and who to contact in an emergency. Then when we are gone, the police will visit the house several times a day, walk the perimeter, search the house for "changes," and sign off that they were there each time. It is a wonderful service offered by them and it is totally free of charge (at least in my city it is).

Plus the cameras around the house are nice too! The cameras send us an email when the motion detectors are set off.

btw, a great packing app for your smart phone is "packing pro." it has pre-made lists or you can make up your own. i think it was only 99cents or 1.99, but so far it has been worth it. :)[/quote]

That's [I]great[/I] service by your local police!

Thanks for the app suggestion... I have packing lists that I refine after each trip. Happy not to have to bring "travel size toilet paper" on this one (but we sure needed it last year in China!) :)

Well evidently if you moan long enough, it pays off. I got a very nice OBC and an upgrade to Concierge Class. NOW I am really happy. 33 Days and counting!

[quote name='Moobaby214']They will not give you OBC, but call your TA and tell them to sell you a CC room for $1,000. The one dollar over what you previously paid is what you need to move up.

I disagree that CC is just fruit and towel animals. The extra reward point for being CC is worth a lot! Not to mention getting and omelette from room service vs a danish is pretty nice too. We are booked in a CC room and wouldn't downgrade to a standard balcony!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

[quote name='OrlandoCruizer']Well evidently if you moan long enough, it pays off. I got a very nice OBC and an upgrade to Concierge Class. NOW I am really happy. 33 Days and counting![/QUOTE]

Fantastic news!! Congrats on getting both! We are in CC as well :)

[quote name='Turtles06']That's [I]great[/I] service by your local police!

Thanks for the app suggestion... I have packing lists that I refine after each trip. Happy not to have to bring "travel size toilet paper" on this one (but we sure needed it last year in China!) :)[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I have always thought about bringing my own "tissue" onboard. I hate the tissue paper that they have in the bathrooms... but I fear i'd be the one to clog the plumbing lines with the tissue paper for my entire deck and have to look at all my neighbors and explain what happened. :eek:

good for you!

Love the OBC! Of course mine go straight to the spa people but still, it's nice to have.

[quote name='OrlandoCruizer']Well evidently if you moan long enough, it pays off. I got a very nice OBC and an upgrade to Concierge Class. NOW I am really happy. 33 Days and counting![/quote]

Last year, when we did the Equinox Crossing, a bunch of us got together the night before the cruise and we went and had a few drinks at Alibi's in Fort Lauderdale. It was kind of nice getting a little FOD Meeting in before the cruise.

Anyone interested in getting together the night before the cruise in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

If you are, e-mail me at bill @ thefloridaexpressbus.com

We're going to be in Miami the day before the trip. I'll be more than happy to coordinate sommething for us =)

I will also be in Miami the night before the cruise. What time are you thinking of getting together, and where?

[quote name='OrlandoCruizer']Last year, when we did the Equinox Crossing, a bunch of us got together the night before the cruise and we went and had a few drinks at Alibi's in Fort Lauderdale. It was kind of nice getting a little FOD Meeting in before the cruise.

Anyone interested in getting together the night before the cruise in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

If you are, e-mail me at bill @ thefloridaexpressbus.com

We're going to be in Miami the day before the trip. I'll be more than happy to coordinate sommething for us =)[/quote]

[quote name='Moobaby214']We haven't decided if we are coming in the night before or not. If we do come in on the 20th we'd be up for dinner :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Sounds good! We're going to Miami the day before - I don't want to deal with the drive from Orlando on the 21st

Archived