Using Credit cards in Europe

Shopinpat

Does anyone know if all credit cards issued in US charge a fee anytime you use your credit card in Europe called a foreign transaction fee?

I never had this happen before and I called A/E and they told me that anytime I use my credit card in Europe I will be charged a 2.7% transaction fee.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

As mentioned, Capitol One is the only US card that does not charge a transaction fee. I have done a lot of research and I have never found another card that does not charge a fee. In addition, there is no yearly fee as well, and they have a very generous "point" system, that (with my business card) provides 2 points for every dollar spent. They can be redeemed for anything from airline tickets with any airline to gifts, and even converted to cash into your account.

Love it!

Here's a link where you can compare 16 cards that don't charge foreign fees.

http://www.cardhub.com/credit-cards/foreign-transaction-fee/#searchid=2r0:11c1:v082101

Karen

Does anyone know if all credit cards issued in US charge a fee anytime you use your credit card in Europe called a foreign transaction fee?

I never had this happen before and I called A/E and they told me that anytime I use my credit card in Europe I will be charged a 2.7% transaction fee.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I can also confirm Cap One does NOT charge a transaction fee. I charge everything I can to my Cap One card and then pay it off each month (including my up coming river cruise!). I get $25-$50 back each month against my balance due. The month I charged the river cruise I got $200! I only wish I could figure out how to pay my mortgage with it!

Certain higher level AMEX cards do not charge the foreign transaction fee. The platinum card does not, I am not sure about the Gold. Platinum card also has some nice bennies if you charge the cruise on some lines. (ie: Uniworld gives a $300 shipboard credit and other goodies in the room; other lines do similar) Also, the platinum card has rebates on some airlines fees like the baggage charge. (To quote the ads, some restrictions apply)

I am not an amex rep, just offering info. Good luck!

After checking online with credit card providers. I believe that the only cards that do not charge for Foreign Transaction fees are the American Express card that has a yearly fee of$ 450.00and Chase Sapphire which also has a yearly fee. The only card that I can find with no yearly payment is Cap One so far. Also it appears all of the banks charge for

debit transactions. If anyone knows any different please jump in.

I did hear Bank America did not charge in certain locations however after

checking I believe that is incorrect and they do charge.

Boy sure making it harder and harder to travel these days. Or more costly anyway. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Pat

Archived