Good movies featuring Alaska scenery?

lansingisland

It can be tough to pick some. Many of the movies that are of Washington and Alaska are actually filmed in British Columbia. :(

Nothing against BC mind you. It's beautiful as well.

jmo

-Monte

North to Alaska with John Wayne.

There are a few Disney type of movies about sled dogs and sled races that also might qualify.

Check with your library, I checked out several educational movies about Alaskian cruises and the White Pass RR.

There is also one about an Alaska family where the dad's plane goes down on mtntop and troublesome young teenage boy and girl decide to go looking for him. Been out the last couple of years. Great scenery which I believe I saw was Alaska in the credits. There are several Alaska features that play on Travel Channel or on Discovery as someone already said. Also one on couple of cruise ships.

There is a new Robin Williams movie coming out (not sure when) called "The Big White" that was partially filmed in Canada near Skagway (filmed near WhitePass on the Klondike Highway). It was filmed last year right right before I was in Alaska. Cast and crew stayed in Skagway when they filmed.

It also stars Holly Hunter and Woody Harrelson.

Here is some info on the movie:

http://www.robin-williams.net/bigwhite.htm

One of my favorites has a lot of Alaska/Yukon scenery. It's actually the TV movie pilot for the television series Due South. The crew worked out of Skagway. You can find either just the pilot OR it is on the new DVD of Season 3.

"Double Jepardy" with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones was filmed in BC and shows some of the scenery you'll see on a cruise leaving or arriving in Vancouver.

For TV, check the schedule for the Travel Channel this weekend. There are programs scheduled beginning April 1 on Denali, another program following titled Alaska's National Parks. Later in the week there are programs on Vancouver and other areas of BC.

I watched last night INSOMNIA with Al Pacino and Robbie Williams. A good thriller with set in Alaska with opening shots flying over a Glacier.

Filmed in BC, mainly around Squamish (on the road to Whistler). I think a couple of the glacier shots were filmed in Stewart BC and Hyder AK (Bear Glacier maybe.)

My vote for the most preposterous and unreal "set in Alaska" film yet. Flying into a city the size of the one that Robin Williams lived in on a 50-year old float plane. Sure.

There's a 20-something year old film about the famous native musher, George Attla, that best captured Alaska to me. You might need to look for it in specialty video outlets or maybe Amazon. Spirit of the Wind - very moving.

Here's one to watch, especially if you're going to take a flightseeing tour, "Switchback"...

That's the one where the bear stalks them after their sea plane crashes...

Are you sure? I found this on the internet about Switchback

Switchback 1997 ®

40700.gif

An FBI agent is on the verge of giving up capturing a serial killer when his own son is kidnapped by his long sought after prey.

The very best source of movies and books about Alaska in the Alaska Natural History Association. You can order off their website at http://www.alaskanha.org/ They sell the IMAX movie as well as several other excellent movies about Alaska history and scenery.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Baywatch movie White Thunder in Glacier Bay, which we have to watch at least once a year just for laughs. It's filmed in Alaska, but heavily edited, and is an huge ad for Princess. Watch for the black bear that turns into a brown bear as it runs away, and the caribou in fall foliage just as the ship leaves Vancouver!

Archived